Tips and tricks to minimize or avoid binging

SummerSkier
SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
How about we start a list of things we know we can do to either prevent or minimize binging. I'll start with some of the things which sometimes work for me. ;)

1) brushing my teeth
2) turning off the TV and/or computer and going to bed
3) Thinking about tomorrow morning's coffee and breakfast and how much better it will be if I don't overdo it now
4) Writing in a journal about why you are thinking about binging... emotion, hunger, restricting, etc...
5) reviewing the rewards I have promised myself for losing weight
6) pulling out my clothes that I love to wear (bikini's etc...) when I am not all pooched out from binging
7) go online and buy some sort of pretty item of clothing or workout thing

Ok - your turn... Hopefully we can help each other with this!

Replies

• MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    think of how awful i feel when i'm really full and how i feel ok right now and not hungry

chew gum/drink crystal light packet in water

do really quick jumping jacks to remind myself that i am working out hard so why would i overeat

read overeaters book with daily reflections

just leave the kitchen and do something else
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    -Log on to MFP and go back and reread my notes from my really good days. I oftenuse my food diary as a journal and write down how I'm feeling, it's been really helpful to reflect.
    -Call a family member or friend..I always have a running list of people I need to call back and this helps! I always walk when I'm on the phone too, the fresh air snaps me back to reality.
    -Whiten my teeth : ) Can't eat with whitening strips in
    -Paint my nails, also can't eat if it ruins my nail polish
    -Flavored seltzer water (with only natural ingredients and 0 calories)...life saving.

With all these ideas I wonder how I even have time to binge! But I still manage to... This will help, I'm sure!
  • SummerSkier
    Thinking longer term:
    Avoid overly restrictive intake ......my guess is that if you find you are having terrible full out binges a lot and are only sustaining a week or less binge free, you may be over restricting.
  • Wow these are great tips! Thanks!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    my latest tip is to start a really intense exercise program and that way you won't want to binge because you need to not be full of food to work out hard. and remind yourself of your goal... i just started insanity because i was tired of how i was eating, wanted results and wanted a fresh start. it has helped a lot!
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Water with a lemon wedge really helps.

Journal. Write down how I'm feeling. Make sure I'm hungry and not bored, sad, lonely, tired, etc.

Go to bed. I binge a lot at night. Usually I'm exhausted, and my body is using eating to stay awake. Better to just get rest!

Chew gum.

Have I taken my vitamins? Sometimes I forget, and they help me feel satisfied.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Thinking longer term:
    Avoid overly restrictive intake ......my guess is that if you find you are having terrible full out binges a lot and are only sustaining a week or less binge free, you may be over restricting.

^^ THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSS

These are all great tips guys!

A couple for me:
    - Just logging everything on mfp (even if I go over one day) being aware of and managing my specific daily calorie intake helps a ton!
    - Actually eating all my daily cals plus exercise cals - This is still counterintuitive and frustrating for me but I'm tryyying!
    - Step on the scale . . .
    - Go for a run
    - Put on my smallest pair of "regulator" jeans or white horse show breeches! :tongue:
  • pamelazee
    pamelazee Posts: 45 Member
    I have done well in the past with making a cup of coffee or tea after dinner (when I'm most likely to binge.) Its worked well for me in the past to help "complete my eating." I am going to try to get in the habit agian.
  • b3kah5
    b3kah5 Posts: 280 Member
    These are great tips! Thank you. They came at a very good time.
  • SummerSkier
    Very cool guys. Thanks for posting all your ideas. Hopefully we can all help each other with different strategies!
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    - Go FAR FAR away from the kitchen!! I don't even stay downstairs if I feel the urge.

- Chew gum

- Either have sex or DIY time. An excellent distraction LOL