Hi Everyone!

Hello all you reddit people :)

I have been lurking around r/keto & r/vegetarianketo for the past few days...and I think I am ready to dive in. I already know it's going to be hard 1) because I'm a vegetarian 2) I am lactose intollerant...so no cheese, milk, yogurt, etc. ( I do eat butter though!!) 3) I don't eat eggs either. But I do love veggies, I eat lots of tofu & soy products, and I think I can really do this! Really, The hardest thing for me will be starchy foods. Usually, I eat A LOT of pasta, rice, bread, potatoes....and cookies. My weakness.

Any other veggie ketoers out there??

I would love for any of you to friend me! Help me learn, keep me accountable, and share recepies!
I have one very important question though...can I still eat chocolate? or is that a huge no-no?

Thanks so much! :D

Replies

• Jefster
    Jefster Posts: 48 Member
    Welcome to the Ketoverse!

While I'm not a vegetarian, I know others have their reasons for why they wish to make that choice, and I think Keto is still possible.

Since you've been lurking, you know the intent is to eat High Fat, Moderate Protein, and Low Carb in your nutrients. So let's see if we can come up with some idea of foods that you can use to meet those nutrients.

I'm curious, is the lack of eating eggs a non-medical/reaction choice, or do you have a physical issue preventing you from eating them? The reason I ask, is that they are one of natures most perfect foods for keto style living. If not, I'm sure there things you can use to get those fat #'s up.

Some things that come to mind are Avocado's, Coconut oil, Almond Milk products, and since you do eat butter, butter goes great on veggies.

Protein sources might be a bigger problem, since I'm not sure the protein/carb rations on veggies.

And chocolate? yes indeed! Preferably dark chocolate. A common item I and others make is to whip up some heavy whipping cream with cocoa powder and freeze it, making it quite like soft serve ice cream. I have never tried whipping almond milk, so I'd be curious if that works.

I also make my own chocolate by mixing Coconut oil, cocoa, and Truvia together, and pouring the mix into baking cups. Freeze them for a few minutes, and you have a very nice chocolatey treat. Since coconut oil melts at such a low temp, you may have to eat them quickly though.

Good luck!
  • Jefster
    Jefster Posts: 48 Member
    I was ordering some Coconut Flour on Amazon today, and I noticed there was something called "TVP" for Textured Vegetable Protein.

It appear to be a meat analogue, which I suppose might be useful for a vegetarian to focus on their protein?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=TVP