30s Daily - Tuesday, April 10

Options
Welcome to our daily thread!

We post here for motivation and support. Feel free to share your successes and your failures. Really, you should feel free to share whatever is on your mind. Just be respectful and expect respect in return.

[Anyone can start the daily thread, just make the new subject and copy and paste the intro. Thanks in advance for your help.]

Replies

• ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Does anyone play tennis? I'm thinking about signing up for lessons, they do them in a park 2 blocks from where I live, but I've never really played. Seemed like it might be a good way to add some cardio to my weight lifting routine in a way that wasn't so hard on the body. I'm just not sure I can really keep up with the running and weight lifting after how much my hamstring hurt on Sunday.
  • lissa0040
    lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Does anyone play tennis? I'm thinking about signing up for lessons, they do them in a park 2 blocks from where I live, but I've never really played. Seemed like it might be a good way to add some cardio to my weight lifting routine in a way that wasn't so hard on the body. I'm just not sure I can really keep up with the running and weight lifting after how much my hamstring hurt on Sunday.

I think playing tennis sounds like an excellent idea! You could take a couple of lessons and if it's not for you -- try something else.My father in law loves tennis and it is his primary form of exercise. I hope to fall in love with a game or dance type of exercise one day so exercising doesn't always feel like so much work.
  • crystalkiss
    crystalkiss Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    One of these days I would love to get myself a Wii that way i can try all the exercise programs that they have. Who here has the Wii FIT? Any thoughts or recommendations?
  • AmandaK3
    AmandaK3 Posts: 80
    Options
    I love tennis, it is crazy good exercise too. I don't get to play much because no one else I know likes to play. :) I'm slowly convincing my boyfriend to get into it with me, he's starting to wear down. :) My only advice would be to take it slow, it is pretty high impact sport, but if you don't push it too hard at first and ease into it...you'll be grunting with your back swing in no time. :)

My mom has WII FIT and uses it all the time. A friend of mine uses Zumba 2 on it as well and loves it.

As for me today, it's a gym day. So some cardio, and today is arms and back. I switch up my weights routine, some days free weights, sometimes machine. Usually it's the area at the gym that isn't as busy. :)

The weather here has been SO nice I have been skipping the gym for walks and bike rides. They are just so nice though that it does seem like a workout. :)
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My husband plays tennis when he can, and it's a great workout! I can't play with him, he's too competitive and I stink at it :P

Today is an 'off' day for me exercise wise, but I will try to get outside with the kids tonight after work.

Do you guys record calories for weight lifting?
  • PJYoung2012
    PJYoung2012 Posts: 191
    Options
    I have tried to play tennis but completely lack the ability to do so. I prefer badminton. It's much faster and i tend to work up a good sweat. Plus i just find it more fun and a lot easier to play.
  • PJYoung2012
    Options
    As for moi had a busy day at work and was on my feet all morning. Off to the gym tonight for the first time since last Thursday. Hoping for a solid cardio workout to get me back in the swing of things.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    I have tried to play tennis but completely lack the ability to do so. I prefer badminton. It's much faster and i tend to work up a good sweat. Plus i just find it more fun and a lot easier to play.

oooohhh...badminton! fun! i'm sure we don't play by the rules, but i love me some badminton!

i would love to be tennis worthy. i'm a 50/50 shot with tennis - sometimes i actually do pretty good. but sometimes it's a disaster! but i don't know enough about it to know what i'm doing right or wrong and what makes the difference. but it's still fun, and as long as i'm running around the court (which happens a lot more than i think it's supposed to), i'm all good. now that i think about it, i probably burn a lot more calories sucking at it than i would being good at it! :tongue:
  • PJYoung2012
    Options
    I think that may be the best thing about badminton. Even if you totally suck at it you still get a workout. I've sucked at tennis so many times and it usually involved me standing still on the court blasting balls straight into the net or onto the court next to me!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    well maybe I will give the lessons a shot, its through the parks and rec so its only $50 for 6 beginner lessons. doesn't hurt to try!

I don't record my weight lifting calories burned. I use the TDEE method to calculate my calorie needs which already includes my activity level so I only record if I do extra cardio. I've also seen around that HRMs don't calculate it accurately since they are intended for steady state cardio so I'm not sure how you would actually calculate them. I know I sure work up a sweat, though, so you should account for it somehow.
  • AmandaK3
    AmandaK3 Posts: 80
    Options
    Badminton is SO fun! It's easy too since you can always just play it in your back yard or at a local park when the weather is nice.

I don't record my weight training either. I decided I'm not really doing it to burn calories, so whatever I do get out of it "burn" wise is just a little bonus. :)
  • SaraGrace82
    SaraGrace82 Posts: 232
    Options
    Today was a pretty mixed day. Last week was crazy good for exercise and it was the first week where I came in under my weekly calorie goal (by about 800). I had also snuck on to the scale on Friday and saw that I was down almost 2lbs! After big meals on Sunday and Monday though... Today when I got on the scale I was at the exact same weight as my last official weigh in. Pretty disappointing. I am going to weigh in again on Friday and see if there is a difference. At any rate, I am much healthier this week than I was last week so I can't complain.

We did weight lifting tonight, even though it was rainy and gross and I wasn't feeling it. Glad to have done it now that it's over. :-)

Ellie - I love tennis! I wish we had a relatively inexpensive place to take lessons around here. I do record calories from weight lifting from my heart rate monitor. I try not to eat up all those calories though since I really think the hrm has difficulty with that type of activity.

Crystal - I have a Wii Fit I never use. So when you start up the basic Wii fit program it weighs you. Maybe not ideal but acceptable... THEN it judges you! It tells you "That's overweight!" or "That's obese!" in a snarky little voice. Then making matters worse it makes your little avatar fatter AND it makes it cry. Horrible! The amount of exercise you can get from that programs is pretty limited and was never worth the digital humiliation for me. I think the Wii has other good exercise programs though. I have a friend who brought Wii Zumba with her while she is visiting. I will let you know what I think after we try it out.

I love the badminton! Haven't played in years. Hmmm, maybe we should get a set...