Does this make sense?

Options
macnurseapril
macnurseapril Posts: 53 Member
BMR=1889
TDEE 1889 x 1,75=3305(very active)
minus 15% is 2809

I'm sorry to bombard the board, but the thought of eating 2800 cals scares the heck out of me!

I'm 5'10, 268, and very active.

How do you eat this much?!

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful thoughts and advice to each other. It's just mind bending.

Replies

• k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm close to your situation.

I am 5'9 and 270 and moderately active, so my TDEE - 15% is around 2600 calories per day.

I am almost always at or around 2600, and it only took me a week to get there! The trick is to add the healthy fats back in, and eat full fat yogurts and such, instead of the 'light' or 'diet' stuff. I also make protein shakes using full fat greek yogurt and bananas and peanut butter. Maybe try working your way up to it? Find places where you can add calories in without adding a lot of volume to your foods. Cook with olive oil instead of just cooking spray. 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil is 120-130 calories depending on the brand. Add cheese and/or seeds to your salad, use real dressing. Eat whole eggs instead of just egg whites. Salmon is a good one too. And I've started snacking on lightly salted nuts when I want a salty snack instead of reaching for potato chips.

I'm sure other people have good advice to toss your way, but that's what helped me! :)
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't know what this group specifically says about this, but I have read that the more over overweight that you are the more of a deficit you can maintain, so you might be able to get away with a larger deficit. That does seem like a lot of calories to have to maintain.- I could be wrong about that though!!

I agree the way that I'd go about it is to add in healthy fats, those can add up quickly, Avocado, nut butters, olive oil, coconut oil etc.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have read on this forum that you can just eat at your BMR plus calories burned. But I wouldn't do that everyday. I have also read here that you can subtract as much as 300 calories from your calculated number and still be healthy and getting plenty of good fuel for your body. Good luck!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Yes, the more overweight can typically have a higher deficit. The only issue is that once your body adapts to the deficit number, then you may have to decrease further. So we like to recommend starting as high as you can in order to leave room for error, and wiggle room when plateaus hit. The more overweight we are, the longer our journey will be, so we prefer it to be an enjoyable journey, not a torturous one (this is with the exception to the morbidly obese, who have to, under strict medical supervision have over a 1000 cal deficit in order to stop life threatening issues). Also remember that, although the # is high to begin with, it does lower as you lose weight anyway. Since the smaller you are, the less cals that you need.

I go into a bit more detail about this here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/551771-a-lot-to-lose

~Kiki
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    April, Im in the same boat, with a slightly less Cut value... I have decided after much prodding from Lucia, to eat my cut value for the next two weeks and see what happens.. So I will tell you to eat your TDEE - 15% daily.. It definitely seems like a ton of cals, but I hope with some practice, and meal planning, I will be able to figure out how to get in more cals, without a ton of extra meals or foods..
    I have decided to try eating more nuts, something I love and gave up on previous weight loss programs.. I am giving cottage cheese a try again, working on cooking with oils again.. and full fat cheese is back in my fridge:)
  • macnurseapril
    Options
    Kelly,

I finally broke 268 (267 this am). I need to look for more lower carb/higher protein snacks. I can see why so many people have smoothies for snacks.

I do have more energy at 2200, but getting another 600 in is so hard, especially when I have gotten used to 1400-1700.

I may do some shakes with some coconut oil, and protein. We'll see.

A
  • Raynn1
    Options
    I hear ya:) I jumped up 600 cals the last two days from 1800 to 2400 and I had to struggle to make them in before the end of the night.

Today was easier, so Im hoping things will get better from here on out.

I am looking into the protein powders to see if those will work for increasing my protein levels, but in the mean time I grabbed some PC protein shakes. Ive been using those after running. Ive been making my snacks a little bigger and eating more nuts.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I hear ya:) I jumped up 600 cals the last two days from 1800 to 2400 and I had to struggle to make them in before the end of the night.

I am looking into the protein powders to see if those will work for increasing my protein levels, but in the mean time I grabbed some PC protein shakes. Ive been using those after running. Ive been making my snacks a little bigger and eating more nuts.

Raynn I am telling you, it gets easier...I used to complain about being stuffed all the time and went through a period of almost disdaining eating...I was sick of it...but that was because I was used to eating 1500 cals and then binging and then back to 1500 cals...

Anyway, now I eat 1900 cals and let me tell you, I sure could eat more regularly...and I will tell you, most days I do...thank God, I now do refeed days when I go a little higher in carbs and hit maintenance or more cals...love it...gets sooo much easier that you can't believe you really ate so low ever!

Those that go through the bulking cycle (which will be me in the fall) complain about eating their 15% cut...lol because our wonderful body just adapts to whatever we do...some things it loves and others (like low caling) it doesn't.

You are doing great!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Kelly,

I finally broke 268 (267 this am). I need to look for more lower carb/higher protein snacks. I can see why so many people have smoothies for snacks.

I do have more energy at 2200, but getting another 600 in is so hard, especially when I have gotten used to 1400-1700.

I may do some shakes with some coconut oil, and protein. We'll see.

A

Yes, yes, that is a great plan...the coconut oil excellent...see I had some things I wanted to eat today so I had to delete it from today's diary...amazing how you get to needing the food and could actually eat more after a while...

Another high prot...low carb ALL NATURAL (big into natural stuff I am) is Golden Valley beef jerky...70 cals 11gr of protein...not bad...see I have to look for some low cal stuff too because I can easily blow past my 1900 cut amount...oh how I look forward to my refeed days where I eat maintenace or above...ok off track...said all that to say...it will get easier:-)
  • Raynn1
    Options

Raynn I am telling you, it gets easier...I used to complain about being stuffed all the time and went through a period of almost disdaining eating...I was sick of it...but that was because I was used to eating 1500 cals and then binging and then back to 1500 cals...

Anyway, now I eat 1900 cals and let me tell you, I sure could eat more regularly...and I will tell you, most days I do...thank God, I now do refeed days when I go a little higher in carbs and hit maintenance or more cals...love it...gets sooo much easier that you can't believe you really ate so low ever!

Those that go through the bulking cycle (which will be me in the fall) complain about eating their 15% cut...lol because our wonderful body just adapts to whatever we do...some things it loves and others (like low caling) it doesn't.

You are doing great!

Ok, since I increased my cals the last few days, I have been more hungrier. Both yesterday and this morning I woke up starving, even though I had great dinners and an evening snack. Prior, I could easily last the 30 minutes it took to cook my oats before the growls hit, but now Im waking up with my stomach growling.. Is this normal after increasing??
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Ok, since I increased my cals the last few days, I have been more hungrier. Both yesterday and this morning I woke up starving, even though I had great dinners and an evening snack. Prior, I could easily last the 30 minutes it took to cook my oats before the growls hit, but now Im waking up with my stomach growling.. Is this normal after increasing??

100% normal- it'll level out in a week or so and only peak out when you've really busted your hinder in the gym the day before. :)
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options

100% normal- it'll level out in a week or so and only peak out when you've really busted your hinder in the gym the day before. :)

I second this, all of it. I'm ravenous today... it's only 10:30am and I keep wanting to raid my kitchen. My typical 2 eggs+cheese, banana, and coffee smoothie for breakfast just DID NOT FILL ME UP.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

You are doing great!

Your body is revved up and burning fuel and expects it nice and early:-)
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Lol.. Ok, ill take it as a good sign:)
  • macnurseapril
    Options
    I did pretty well this weekend-until today. We partied last night and I woke up bloated....and I weighed myself(up 5lbs so I know it's bloat)...and I had to push my self to get to 1900 today. I needed more calls at dinner, but I was so full!

I need to source the coconut oil. I've added a protein bar to my day, but I am still trying to figure out healthy high calorie eating (this weekend avacado helped, and some delish fresh made guacamole my hubby makes with out mayo. Just the avacado some garlic and tomato. so yumm!)

I know it would be better to stabilize the calories, but damn that's a lot of cals!