30s Daily - Wednesday, April 11

Options
Welcome to our daily thread!

We post here for motivation and support. Feel free to share your successes and your failures. Really, you should feel free to share whatever is on your mind. Just be respectful and expect respect in return.

[Anyone can start the daily thread, just make the new subject and copy and paste the intro. Thanks in advance for your help.]

Replies

• shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    So far I'm pretty pleased with this week. I'm tracking towards at least a 1 lb loss this week, so I'm pretty happy since I'm set up for just 0.5lb, especially considering it was Easter and I'm surrounded by chocolate. I weigh daily, but only record on Fridays so we'll see.

Today is my run and lift day. I'm hoping the shin feels ok afterwards, I oddly miss running (and I don't really enjoy it while I'm doing it, strange!). I'm tired after 2 bad nights in a row from my 2 year old, but I hope I can push it out.

I need some help increasing protein and reducing carbs, I may have to post in the forums about that later this week. I'm pretty slammed at work.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Ugh, the protein/carb thing is tough! I've been trying to find a good balance with that. I did what most people would probably do and just started eating more meat but it really seemed to mess with my digestion so I'm experimenting with veg and fish protein options right now. Adding more dairy has helped me out some as well.

I'm going to try to go for a run tonight after work (weather permitting as they are predicting rain today which is rare here!) and I'm hoping my hamstring doesn't bother me. Jeez, look at us old injured 30-somethings! lol
  • Blueyz82
    Blueyz82 Posts: 151
    Options
    Hello All!

My food selections are limited, lol, til I go grocery shopping tomorrow! I have been eating a lot of the same things past week... Ready to change it up again...can't really buy a lot of fresh produce, since I leave in 5 days for cruise, don't want to waste it. I'm sooo excited!!! I started packing a little lastnight. Have a lot of running around to do tomorrow to prep for trip and things to do for my store before leaving for 5 days.

Plan tonight is to do the elliptical machine for an hour again! Did it for hr last night and even though it has been a week since I worked out (Migraines and working late restricted me) I actually didn't feel like I was going to collapse at end! So, progress! lol

Ellie, I know this weather has been sucky! I do all my exercising indoors. Ohio weather is always so unpredictable! I am looking to purchase a bike this summer! I have wanted one since last summer! :)

Have a great day all! :smile:
  • lissa0040
    lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Haha ugh.. I have another injury type issue for the 30's oldies lol. I was running yesterday and I felt so tight. My shin was killing me and my knee felt really tender so I just walked the rest of the way. This morning both my knee and my shin feel normal so maybe I was just running weird or something.

I was doing a low carb/high protein diet and I was losing weight at a pretty steady pace BUT I had my cholesterol checked and although it isn't high enough for medication it is still on the "slightly" high side -- says the nurse like it was no big deal. WHAT!?!?! SUCH a big deal and it really freaked me out. It was not just caused by a high protein diet but years of fried foods and fatty meats -- but I am sure over time the high protein diet wasn't going to help change that number. I never ate loads of cheese, bacon, sausage and ground beef but most people use high protein as an excuse to eat high fat. So I suggest if you are going to do low carb/high protein keep your heart health in mind and do lean meats.

I was just thinking (this morning actually) about switching my diet to whole grains with fish and lean chicken. I don't think not eating carbs is right for me long term. The last time I had long term success I was eating brown rice and beans and oatmeal. Almost a vegetarian lifestyle. I tried the low carb diet because I saw others having success for it but I am thinking a major part of this process is listening to our own bodies and choosing a lifestyle we can manage long term.
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    New to the group and so frustrated - I've hit a wall. I didn't think that was supposed to happen until I had almost reached my goal; not when I've barely put a dent in it. 5'3" and currently at 158 . . . have been for nearly 3 weeks now. I'm hoping to make it to 128 eventually, but this lack of progress has me wondering if that will ever happen (without amputating a leg or something). :tongue: I can tell that I am getting stronger, maybe a bit firmer . . . but it's pretty minimal and not doing squat for my motivation. The urge to curl up on the couch surrounded by cookies, chips, and dips is getting a little more tempting with each day I don't see a change on the scale.

I've tried changing up the calorie intake a little - trying the "cycle method" but not going crazy. I'm also trying to find ways to get in a little more exercise. Besides trying to make it to the gym 3 times a week for strength-training and cardio, I've decided to take advantage of my office park being near a shopping plaza. Yesterday during my lunch break I slipped into some tennis shoes and walked over to run errands at Target, rather than hopping in my car and driving over. It's a pretty short distance but with a lot of uphill/downhill. I'm also trying to make protein 30% of my diet which can be challenging when you're also watching your cholesterol, but it's important for building fat-burning muscle. :ohwell:

I decided that maybe joining a group for my "age" might provide a little more insight than I get from, let's just say, less than qualified and/or relatable sources.
  • kristinlk76
    Options
    Susieq - I know how frustrating it can be when you hit a wall. I have been doing HIIT workouts for about 4 weeks now and feel like I getting no where. What I have learned from some teammates of mine, is that the most important thing is to throw the scale in the closet. Focus more on measurements and how your clothes fit. YOU CAN DO IT! Getting in more exercise is definitely the key - and it looks like you started that with walking to Target instead of driving. Great job! Don't give in to the temptation of food - in fact, do a clean sweep! Clean out the pantry and fridge and throw out all the unclean food! None of us need any more temptation than is already out there. It is funny...as I write this, there is an ad off to the right side for Totino's Pizza Chips - REALLY?? How much more unhealthy could that be??
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    New to the group and so frustrated - I've hit a wall. I didn't think that was supposed to happen until I had almost reached my goal; not when I've barely put a dent in it. 5'3" and currently at 158 . . . have been for nearly 3 weeks now. I'm hoping to make it to 128 eventually, but this lack of progress has me wondering if that will ever happen (without amputating a leg or something). :tongue: I can tell that I am getting stronger, maybe a bit firmer . . . but it's pretty minimal and not doing squat for my motivation. The urge to curl up on the couch surrounded by cookies, chips, and dips is getting a little more tempting with each day I don't see a change on the scale.

I've tried changing up the calorie intake a little - trying the "cycle method" but not going crazy. I'm also trying to find ways to get in a little more exercise. Besides trying to make it to the gym 3 times a week for strength-training and cardio, I've decided to take advantage of my office park being near a shopping plaza. Yesterday during my lunch break I slipped into some tennis shoes and walked over to run errands at Target, rather than hopping in my car and driving over. It's a pretty short distance but with a lot of uphill/downhill. I'm also trying to make protein 30% of my diet which can be challenging when you're also watching your cholesterol, but it's important for building fat-burning muscle. :ohwell:

I decided that maybe joining a group for my "age" might provide a little more insight than I get from, let's just say, less than qualified and/or relatable sources.

chin up! you'll get there. my advice: get your head in the game and appreciate the benefits of your journey aside from weight loss. i haven't lost any weight since june, and if i were totally focused on the scale, i would have thrown in the towel ages ago. but i figure i'm just going to keep on trucking. i am healthier than ever, my heart is stronger than my husband's, my endurance is out the roof, and i carry myself proudly. i'm accomplished in so many ways, and eventually, my body will comply. so don't sweat the small stuff. focus on every success - not just the scale.
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    HUGE NSV for me today - I did go for my run, and not only does my shin feel ok, I shaved 1 min off my mile!!! I kept it short (just over 2 miles) to go lightly on my shin, but when I got back to my desk and did the math I almost jumped out of my seat yelling, lol. I'm so freaking excited.

Susie - you will start to see changes soon if you keep at it. How long have you been at it? Do your calories need to be adjusted (up or down?)

Lissa - thanks for the heads-up on the cholesterol. Our beef is all grass-fed (we have 1/6 of a cow in our freezer) and we keep the portions small, so I think that should help keep that in check. I have been blessed with low cholesterol to begin with, thankfully.

I don't want SUPER LOW carb, just lower than where I'm at. With the 40/30/30 ratio I've seen recommended, I'm supposed to keep my carbs under 145 and protein at 110 on non-exercise days (my fat and fiber numbers are pretty spot on). Looking at the last 6 weeks, my numbers have been closer to 200 for carbs and 80 for protein. maybe adding a protein shake? I'm not sure where to go about cutting carbs though.
  • PJYoung2012
    PJYoung2012 Posts: 191
    Options
    I love this group. Feels good to know people are going through the same issues as me. When it comes to the scales i learnt early on that they can be cruel. When i started my weight loss journey i lost weight slow to begin with. Then i started losing more and more until i peaked at 6lbs a week. It felt great and my confidence was high but then as quick as it went off it started to slow right down to the rate it is now which is 2 - 3 lbs a week. So i sat down with my trainer and she assured me that this was a good thing and meant there was less fat to lose and that i shouldn't feel down about it. Not to trust the scales so much and keep weigh ins to a minimum. Now i weigh myself first thing in the morning every Monday. One way i found to keep an eye on how i'm doing was to go out and buy myself a t shirt that's a little to tight. It's a Superman shirt and when i put it on and it fits a little better it feels just as good as a possitive result on the scales.
    Not gyming it tonight. My fridge is empty and i need my salads for lunch every day so i just got home from the supermarket. Doesn't leave me enough time to carb up before working out. I'll do my best to keep myself busy tonight though as i have a wall in the bathroom to paint and some lights to replace. Should burn a few calories before bedtime. Hope everyone has a good day.
  • susieq101178
    Options
    SCORE!! Small victory, but I'll take it . . . co-worker just randomly asked how much weight I had lost. She acted like I was crazy when I told her hardly any (4 lbs). :happy: It must just be showing more in my shape than on the scale. I guess I need to quit being lazy and start measuring instead of weighing in.

Just chowed down some low-fat cheese cubes and a protein shake - off to the gym this evening for weights and a jog! (With a slightly renewed sense of confidence, I might add.)

Have a great rest of the day!!

P.S. Thanks for the kind words of support too!!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Well we had a little mini-monsoon here and the streets and sidewalks are randomly flooded in spots so I'm going to skip the run tonight.

I feel you guys on the frustration. The scale hasn't budged for me in nearly two months and neither have the inches. I'm pretty much at a loss for what to do myself. I do suspect that I got a bit too loose with my calorie intake when I upped calories which may have put me more at maintenance than a deficit so I've been trying to be really diligent about my portion sizes and measuring to see if that helps. If I don't see any change by the end of this week I feel like I have to make a change, but I'm not sure if I should be going up or down in calories or maybe just exercising more. I'm only 2 workouts away from finishing stage 1 of NROLFW and then I will take a rest week from lifting so maybe my weight will go down some then. Everyone always talks about how your muscles swell and hold water when you're lifting. I don't know, sigh. I keep telling myself that as long as I'm not gaining I should ride it out but I feel like I'm well past the ride it out time.

And aren't I a downer? lol, sorry guys:ohwell:
  • AmandaK3
    AmandaK3 Posts: 80
    Options
    I gave up on the scale ages a go. I'm go more by inches lost and how my clothing fits. I have a favorite pair of jeans and they are getting a little loose. I can admit I will be a little sad to see them become too big (a little twisted I know), but I will survive. I'll just have to go find another pair of jeans that will be made HOT by my *kitten*. :)

Today was kind of a brutal day, I was so tired. My good friend had a baby at like 2am, and I got a text message from her and then couldn't get back to sleep. I was so happy to hear that it went well and she has a sweet little baby girl, but man I am cranky when I don't get my 6.5hours. LOL So tonight I just went for a light walk, did some pushups (girly ones), and squats.

I'm going to bed early, hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better in the energy department.
  • susieq101178
    Options
    Well we had a little mini-monsoon here and the streets and sidewalks are randomly flooded in spots so I'm going to skip the run tonight.

I feel you guys on the frustration. The scale hasn't budged for me in nearly two months and neither have the inches. I'm pretty much at a loss for what to do myself. I do suspect that I got a bit too loose with my calorie intake when I upped calories which may have put me more at maintenance than a deficit so I've been trying to be really diligent about my portion sizes and measuring to see if that helps. If I don't see any change by the end of this week I feel like I have to make a change, but I'm not sure if I should be going up or down in calories or maybe just exercising more. I'm only 2 workouts away from finishing stage 1 of NROLFW and then I will take a rest week from lifting so maybe my weight will go down some then. Everyone always talks about how your muscles swell and hold water when you're lifting. I don't know, sigh. I keep telling myself that as long as I'm not gaining I should ride it out but I feel like I'm well past the ride it out time.

And aren't I a downer? lol, sorry guys:ohwell:

I'm doing the same program - sounds like you're just a smidge ahead of me . . . but then I stuck with weeks 1 and 2 for more like a month. :blushing: There has to be something to that muscle swelling/water retention thing because this morning I weighed 2.5 lbs more than yesterday - weight lifting last night is my only explanation. Just curious; how often do you lift per week and do you also do cardio? I've been trying to go 2-3 times per week and usually follow up with the "fat burn" program on the treadmill for 30 minutes . . . I honestly have no idea if that's good or bad . . . just wondering what someone else using that book is doing. :smile: