AMRAP workouts at end of stages

Options
chuisle
chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
I don't like them!

I just finished my stage 2 sets of them. I'm not sure if its a mental thing or what but I would sort of like to skip them from here on out. Thoughts on this? I hesitate to deviate from the plan as prescribed but I find myself just thinking, eh, get in 20/30 reps and call it good. I imagine if I had a trainer telling me to keep going it would be easier to push to the limit but mentally I need some sort of goal.

Thoughts? How do you do them?

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it matters or not to do them, but I am not going to. I am almost done with stage 1, 8B today. I have decided that I'm going to just repeat workout 8 A&B one more time instead of doing AMRAP.
  • aekriebs
    aekriebs Posts: 45
    Options
    Since I JUST started Stage 1 Monday, I am nowhere near to doing an AMRAP yet. However, while reading the book I definitely got the feeling that the AMRAPs are more for the mental aspect of the program than anything - apparently by lifting the same weights you began with you will see how much easier it is after six weeks of the program than when you started and could barely do the 15 reps. I don't see any NEED to do them, as they "don't fit" with the theory behind the rest of the program. It seems like they are purely for progress measurement. And maybe it's the product of a man writing the book - I can see my brother, father, husband LOVING this part because it "shows" how strong they are now. Us women may not be so interested.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    chui - I skipped the AMRAP's in Stage 1.

And, there aren't anymore AMRAP's, I don't think, through the rest of the program (except maybe Stage 7).

You're GOLDEN!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    chui - I skipped the AMRAP's in Stage 1.

And, there aren't anymore AMRAP's, I don't think, through the rest of the program (except maybe Stage 7).

You're GOLDEN!
    Same
  • laurajordana
    laurajordana Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't like them!

I just finished my stage 2 sets of them. I'm not sure if its a mental thing or what but I would sort of like to skip them from here on out. Thoughts on this? I hesitate to deviate from the plan as prescribed but I find myself just thinking, eh, get in 20/30 reps and call it good. I imagine if I had a trainer telling me to keep going it would be easier to push to the limit but mentally I need some sort of goal.

I just did my stage 1 AMRAPs. I didn't like them either. I felt like i was gonna give myself repetitive stress injury on some of them... Guess I went too light at first, esp with squats and deadlifts. Shoulder press and lunges were still tough, I think lunges are always tough no matter what the weight
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on skipping them, don't see the benefit when I can see the progress I've made in how much I can lift.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I accidentally did amraps with my ending weight instead of starting weight,...

Whoops.. time ti reread the book .. hehe
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I don't like them!

I did them after Stage 1 (and even then they were optional), but like you, I stopped at 30. I figured the point was to give a "look how far you've progressed" ego boost, and doing twice as many reps as in Workout #1 did that for me.

Even if they were optional after every stage, I'd probably skip them from here out.