Recipes

Options
CdnPgnMom
CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
Hey, all! If you come across any recipes you'd like to share with us, post them on this thread so they'll be easy to find!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• CdnPgnMom
    Options
    Posted by Krista on April 11th, 2012:

This recipe hit my inbox this morning and looked delicious (don't know how to post a photo of it, sorry). Thought I'd share...

Balsamic Chicken With Spinach & Pine Nuts Recipe

Ingredients:

- 2/3 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
    - 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    - 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
    - 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
    - 2 Tablespoons Pine Nuts, Toasted
    - 1 Cup Spinach
    - Salt & Pepper

Instructions:

1. Mix together balsamic vinegar, a dash of salt & pepper, garlic and cayenne pepper and sprinkle over chicken in a large, shallow dish. Set aside.

2. Pulse spinach & pine nuts in a food processor until fine. Set aside.

3. Cook chicken over medium-high heat about 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked all the way through. Top with spinach mixture and serve.

Makes 4 servings.
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    CAULIFLOWER BAKE

Below is an email Kristy sent me when I asked for her "Cauliflower Bake" recipe - it sounds so good! I hope to make it after I get back from Edmonton...

----

Hey Krista

It's a recipe in one of my cookbooks. I was gonna add it to the database but they required a lot of info and I was like I don't have time right now.

I'll give you the recipe as in the book. I alter it a bit because of what tastes my husband and I like.

450g / 1 lb cauliflower, broken into florets
    2 lg potatoes, cubed
    100 g / 3.5 oz cherry tomatoes

Sauce:
    25g / 2 tbsp butter or margarine
    1 leek, sliced
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    25 g / 3 tbsp flour
    300 ml / 1 1/4 cups milk
    75 g / 3/4 cup mixed grated cheese (ie: cheddar, parm, and gruyere)
    1/2 tsp paprika
    2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
    salt and pepper
    chopped fresh parsley, to garnish

1. Cook the cauliflower in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 min. Drain well and reserve. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 10 min, drain and reserve.

2. To make the sauce, melt butter/margarine in a saucepan and saute the leek and garlic for 1 min. Add the flour and cook for 1 min. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually stir in the milk, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the paprika and parsley. Return the pan to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

3. Spoon the cauliflower into a deep ovenproof dish. Add the cherry tomatoes and top with the potatoes. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and sprinkle on the remaining cheese.

4. cook in a preheated oven 180 C/350 F for 20 min or until the vegetables are cooked through and the cheese is golden brown and bubbling. Garnish and serve immediately.

*Alex and I found that we like doubling the sauce so it seeped through just a bit better. But, it was ok with just regular. So, I suggest sticking to the recipe the first time around and then go from there.

If you do try it, I hope you like it :D
  • KristaTellier
    Options
    Just came across this website via another MFP thread (cheap recipes):

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/recipeindex.htm
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    I actually follow this blog quite often and receive her recipes in my email. She's awesome! :)
    Just came across this website via another MFP thread (cheap recipes):

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/recipeindex.htm
  • KristaTellier
    Options
    Good to know! I hadn't heard of her before but a few people on MFP seem to really like her too.
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    Christina's Homemade Double Berry Sauce

1 cup frozen blueberries
    1 cup frozen strawberry slices
    2 tsp Rogers syrup

Place berries in a pot on the stove and cook on medium/low heat until thawed and juicy. Add Rogers syrup and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer until slightly thickened. Serve warm. Great for pancakes or as a topping for desserts, like ice cream. Makes about 3 servings of 1/4 cup each once reduced.

Note: I used Dole Premium frozen berries.

Nutrition Notes:

Calories: 240
    Total Fat: 1
    Sodium: 15
    Carbs: 66
    Fiber: 7
    Sugars: 58
    Protein: 2
    Vitamin A: 2%
    Vitamin C: 106%
    Calcium: 6%
    Iron: 10%
  • KristaTellier
    Options
    Christina's Homemade Double Berry Sauce

We're trying to use up all the frozen & fridge food before my parent's move. Waffles is on that list. If it didn't mean we'd need to buy additional ingrediants (goes against the point of using everything up) I would have suggested we make this... I think my parents would love it! Maybe we'll make it for a family brunch when they get to Winnipeg :) Thanks for sharing!
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    Lemon Pepper Rice w/Spinach and Shrimp

1/2 c cooked whole grain brown rice
    1 c spinach
    15 frozen cooked, peeled, & deveined shrimp

Wilt spinach in a little olive oil. Add thawed shrimp. Stir until warmed through. Sprinkle with a little lemon-pepper seasoning. Serve over rice.

Serves 1
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/269028-low-cal-crockpotting-recipes

A thread I found on MFP for crockpot recipes. I use my crockpot a lot in the Summer, rather than the oven, so I thought I would share just in case there are others like me.
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    This is a link to a recipe for Pizza on a Stick. The kids and I made it once and had so much fun! There are two links: one to the recipe (not the exact one I used, but I can't find that one), and one to my photo album on FB of the kids and I making these. ***You don't have to belong to FB to view the photos.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Pizza-on-a-Stick
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.173053556116046.46209.100002342079148&type=3&l=c165636774
  • KristaTellier
    Options
    From MrsJanuary.com (haven't tried them, but they looked good in her photo!)

STRAWBERRY MUFFINS

These muffins have been a favourite of mine for years now. I try to make them weekly when strawberries are in season – they are so good!

They’re healthy (around 100 calories each, depending on the size), delicious and super easy to make.

Healthy Strawberry Muffins Recipe

Ingredients:
    - 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
    - 2 1/2 Cups Oats (NOT Quick-Cooking)
    - 3/4 Cups Sugar (or Splenda, to make them healthier)
    - 1 Cup Greek Yogurt, Plain
    - 2 Eggs
    - 1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
    - 2 Cups Strawberries, Diced

Instructions:
    1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray or line with foil liners (not paper).

2. Add all ingredients, except strawberries, to your food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl and gently fold in 1 1/2 cup of the strawberries.

3. Divide mixture evenly into your muffin tins. Top each muffin with additional diced strawberries.

4. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Makes 12 muffins.
  • KristaTellier
    Options
    From MrsJanuary.com:

Penne Arugula Salad Recipe

Ingredients:
    - 3 Cups Arugula
    - 3/4 Cup Canned Chickpeas, Drained and Rinsed
    - 1 Cup Penne Pasta, Cooked
    - 1/2 Small Tomato, Chopped and Seeded
    - 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    - 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
    - 2 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
    - 1/4 Cup Fresh Parmesan Cheese, Grated
    - Fresh Parmesan Cheese, Shaved
    - Salt and Pepper

Instructions:
    1. Add all ingredients, except shaved parmesan cheese, to a large bowl. Toss until combined.

2. Serve, topped with shaved parmesan.

Serves 4.
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    Sweet Chili Lime Salmon

Ingredients (6 portions)

6 salmon fillets
    1/3 C sweet chili sauce
    Juice of 1 lime (about 1-2 tbsp)
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper

Instructions

Pre-heat broiler to high. Prepare salmon fillets by placing them on a lined baking sheet and seasoning front and back with salt and pepper. In a small bowl combine chili sauce, lime juice and basil. Brush sauce mixture over each piece of salmon, making sure all surfaces are covered. Drizzle each piece with a little bit of olive oil. Place salmon under broiler and cook for 5 minutes and check for doneness. Continue to cook until it’s cooked to your liking, about 2 minutes more for well-done.
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    Vanilla French Toast
    Serves 4

Ingredients

8 slices of your favorite bread
    4 large eggs*
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1-1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    Pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients in a bowl large enough to place your bread into. Heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Dip bread into egg mixture being sure to cover it all over. Place in skillet and fry until desired doneness. Repeat until all bread is done. Serve with your favorite fruit, syrup, whipped cream, etc.

*You might have a little of the mixture left over at the end, depending on what type/size bread you use, but 3 eggs wouldn't be enough.

Nutritional Information per Serving (Based on my settings):

Calories 242
    Carbs 31
    Fat 8
    Protein 13
    Sodium 380
    Potassium 209
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    I know we're about healthy living and weight loss, but I thought I would post the recipe for Justin's birthday cake just in case anyone wants to make it for a special occasion one day. It's a gooder!

Pig Pickin' Cake

Ingredients

1 pkg any white cake mix
    1/4 c oil
    1 can mandarin oranges, minus 4 tbsps juice
    1 4 serving box instant vanilla pudding
    1 can crushed pineapple
    1 tub Cool Whip

Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl and beat 4 minutes on medium. Pour into 3 greased and floured 8" round cake pans. Bake at 350 F for about 15 minutes, checking doneness by inserting a toothpick in the centre of the cake. Cool 10 minutes in pans and then turn out onto cooling racks to cool completely. Combine pudding with pineapple and let stand 5 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip. Use to frost cooled cake. Place in fridge until ready to serve.
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    Christina's 7 Cheese Lasagna Cupcakes

1 pkg medium ground pork
    1 medium red bell pepper, diced
    1/2 cup white mushrooms, diced
    2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 large can Hunt's tomato sauce
    2 cups fresh spinach
    2 cups Kraft Habanero Heat shredded cheese
    24 tsps Kraft shredded Parmesan, Romano, & Asiago cheese mixture
    6 tsps ricotta cheese
    36 won ton wrappers
    1 tsp Italian seasoning
    Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit. Spray 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray, set aside. Brown ground pork in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drain. Place back in skillet and add garlic, pepper, & mushrooms. Saute. Add tomato sauce, salt and pepper, & Italian seasoning. Simmer on medium-low until slightly thickened. Add spinach & cover to allow wilting. Remove cover and stir to be sure spinach is incorporated. Place 2 won ton wrappers in each muffin cup, pushing down to fit the shape of the cup to allow for adequate filling. Divide one cup of the Habanero cheese mixture among the 12 cups. Follow with a tbsp of the meat mixture. Then with 1 tsp of the Parmesan cheese mixture. Finally, add a 1/2 tsp of ricotta on top of each. Place another won ton wrapper on top of each "cupcake" and push down to allow for adequate filling. Repeat layers, ending with the Parmesan mixture on top. Place muffin pan on top of a cookie sheet to catch any cheese that might overflow in the oven. Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes, being careful to make sure the edges of the won tons don't burn. Let cool 5-10 minutes. Serve.

***This is how I made the recipe this evening but I would make one major change next time - I would use extra large muffin tins.
    ~ You could make this many different ways by changing the cheeses, omitting the veggies/meat, etc.
    --> You may have some of the meat mixture left at the end of assembly. This can be used the next day to mix with pasta or rice for a nice lunch or dinner for 1 or 2.
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    ***The kids and I made these this afternoon. They were quick and easy! The kids loved them. Great for a fun after school snack.

Mini Corndog Muffins

1 c flour
    1 c cornmeal
    1 tbsp baking powder
    2 eggs
    1 c milk
    1/3 c oil or unsweetened applesauce
    1/4 c sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    6-8 hotdogs, depending on the size

Preheat oven at 400 degrees farenheit. Spray mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Mix all ingredients in a bowl until just combined. Do not over mix. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full. Insert 1 inch hotdog piece into the centre of each. ***Bake 10 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and let cool 5-10 minutes before eating. Recipe makes 24 muffins, and you will have a little batter left over. You can cook the remainder in a greased ramekin with a few hot dog pieces thrown in for the fun of it.

***I have a 12 cup muffin tin, you may have to adjust your baking time if you have a 24 cup tin.
  • KristaTellier
    Options
    I haven't made this but it looks really good - from MrsJanuary.com:

Quinoa Veggie Chili Recipe

Ingredients:
    - 1 Can Black Beans, Drained & Rinsed
    - 1 Can Kidney Beans, Drained & Rinsed
    - 2 Cans Diced Tomatoes
    - 1 Can Crushed Tomatoes
    - 1 Cup Quinoa, Cooked
    - 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
    - 2 Teaspoons Basil
    - 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
    - 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
    - 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
    - 1/2 Tablespoon Cumin
    - Salt & Pepper
    - 1/2 Onion, Chopped
    - 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
    - 2-3 Carrots, Peeled & Chopped
    - 3 Celery Stalks, Chopped
    - 1 Bell Pepper (Red or Green), Chopped

Instructions:
    1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrot, chopped pepper and celery. Cook until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.

2. Add kidney beans, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, quinoa, basil, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper.

3. Reduce heat to low-medium and cook for about 35 minutes.

4. Top with any toppings you like (I always put unflavoured yogurt and cheddar cheese on mine!).

Serves 10.