Recipes

Options

Replies

• KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    From MrsJanuary.com:

Enjoy guilt-free chicken florentine! Skip the creamed soup and add more crushed tomatoes for a flavourful, healthy chicken dish.

Healthy Chicken Florentine Recipe

Ingredients:
    - 4 Chicken Breasts
    - 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
    - 1 Large Can Crushed Tomatoes
    - Salt and Pepper
    - 2 Teaspoons Basil
    - 2 Cups Spinach
    - 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese

Instructions:
    1. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Once hot, add chicken and cook until lightly browned on each side, about 5 minutes.

2. Reduce heat to medium and add crushed tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper and spinach. Cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 12-15 minutes more.

3. Top with cheese and serve.

Serves 4.
  • CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    From MrsJanuary.com:

Enjoy guilt-free chicken florentine! Skip the creamed soup and add more crushed tomatoes for a flavourful, healthy chicken dish.

Healthy Chicken Florentine Recipe

Ingredients:
    - 4 Chicken Breasts
    - 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
    - 1 Large Can Crushed Tomatoes
    - Salt and Pepper
    - 2 Teaspoons Basil
    - 2 Cups Spinach
    - 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese

Instructions:
    1. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Once hot, add chicken and cook until lightly browned on each side, about 5 minutes.

2. Reduce heat to medium and add crushed tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper and spinach. Cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 12-15 minutes more.

3. Top with cheese and serve.

Serves 4.

This sounds amazing, Krista! Thanks for sharing. :)
  • KristaTellier
    Options
    Quick Lentil-Spinach Soup
    (a.k.a. "Spinach-Lentil-Carrot-Potato Soup" in my diary)

1 tbsp - vegetable oil
    4 - green onions (I have an onion allergy so I don't use this, but I'm sure it would taste wonderful!)
    3 - medium carrots, diced
    2 - medium potatoes, dcrubbed and diced
    1 tbsp - tomato paste (I might use more than this? can't remember)
    1 tbsp - curry powder
    2.5 cups - vegetable stock
    2.5 cups - water (I use 3.5 cups)
    1 cup - dry red lentils (I usually use canned brown lentils, but in the future I'll be using dry lentils)
    2 cups - fresh spinach, stems removed (I don't remove stems, I use fresh when I can... but I've also used frozen and canned in the winter sometimes... I might also use a bit more spinach, I loooooove spinach!)

In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add green onions, carrot, and potato. Cook, stirring occassionally, for about 5 mins, until the onions are soft.
    Stir in the tomato paste & curry powder.
    Add the stock, water, and lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 mins.
    Meanwhile, wash and chop the spinach.
    Check the soup. If the lentils are tender, add the spinach. Stir to mix.
    Serve.

I use a big stock pot, 3x's the recipe, and freeze leftovers. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm. One of my very favourite soups!
  • KristaTellier
    Options
    Haven't tried this, but the photo looked so good. From MrsJanuary.com:

Quinoa Chicken Mac and Cheese Recipe

Ingredients:
    - 1 Cup Quinoa, Cooked
    - 1 Chicken Breast, Cooked and Shredded
    - 1-1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
    - 1/4 Cup Feta Cheese, Crumbled
    - 2 Tablespoons Flour
    - 1-1/2 Cups Milk
    - Dash of Salt & Pepper
    - 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
    - 1/4 Cup Hot Sauce

Instructions:
    1. Preheat broiler.

2. Whisk together flour and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar cheese and hot sauce. Once cheddar cheese has melted, add in salt & pepper, garlic powder, cooked quinoa, cooked chicken and feta cheese. Mix until combined.

3. Pour mixture into baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray.

4. Bake for about 5 minutes, or until bubbly.

Serves 3-4.
  • KristaTellier
    Options
    Some GREAT snack ideas (all under 100 calories) posted by Kristy:

http://greatist.com/health/88-unexpected-snacks-under-100-calories
  • KristaTellier
    Options
    TOMATO ZUCCHINI CASSAROLE:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tomato-zucchini-casserole/detail.aspx

This is what I made for lunch today.
    I rated it a 8.5-9 out of 10
    My husband rated it a 6.5-7 out of 10 (he doesn't really like zucchini)
  • KristaTellier
    Options
  • KristaTellier
    Options
    How to make POTATO CHIPS in the MICROWAVE (and therefore has a LOT less calories & fat!!!!):

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-crispy-potato-chips-in-the-microwave-166718
  • KristaTellier
    Options
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    Christina's Quick & Easy Beef Barley Soup

1 pkg stew meat
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tsps extra virgin olive oil
    2 boxes low sodium beef broth (or you could use homemade)
    1 can low sodium diced tomatoes
    3 medium red potatoes, diced
    3 medium carrots, diced
    1/2 cup pearl barley
    Salt & pepper to taste
    3 Bay leaves

Brown the stew meat in the olive oil and garlic in a large soup pot, but don't cook completely through because your meat will get tough. Add your potatoes and carrots and saute for a couple of minutes. Add your broth, tomatoes, barley, bay leaves, and salt & pepper. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally. Turn down the heat and let simmer, covered, for about an hour. Remove bay leaves and serve with your favorite crusty bread.

Notes: This hearty, comforting soup freezes well and is extremely versatile. You could throw the ingredients in a slow cooker and just let it cook slowly all day, but be sure to brown the beef first. You could add any number of vegetables. You could also add a little flower to thicken it up, if you'd like. This soup is delicious the first day, but if it makes it to the second day it is amazing!
  • KristaTellier
    Options
    100% NATURAL (simple to make) PANCAKE RECIPE – Gluten Free, Flourless, Low Calorie, Easy

Original Blog Post:
    http://www.blogilates.com/recipe-index/100-natural-pancakes-recipe-gluten-free-flourless-low-calorie

Video Showing how to Make:
    http://www.blogilates.com/recipe-index/the-banana-pancakes-recipe-video

This is the easiest pancake recipe you will ever find in your LIFE!!!!! And it’s 100% made out of natural ingredients. No protein powder, no flour, no sugars…not even almond milk! It’s just 2 ingredients!

Check this ingredient list:

- 1 ripe banana

- 2 whole eggs

Bam!!! That’s it. Just mix in a bowl and make sure the banana is all mashed. Then spray your pan with some PAM, EVO, or coconut oil on low to medium heat, scoop some of the batter on there, give it about 20-30 sec, flip, and done! Serve and eat!

UNDER 250 CALORIES FOR THE FULL RECIPE.
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    Lentil & Feta Salad

Prep: 20 minutes
    Makes 4 servings

3 c cooked or canned lentils*
    1 c feta cheese, crumbled or cubed
    1 cucumber, diced
    3 stalks celery, diced
    2 c cherry tomatoes, quartered
    1 red pepper, diced
    1 small red onion, diced
    1/2 c parsley, chopped
    1/4 c mint or basil leaves, chopped (optional)
    1/3 c lemon juice
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    Salt & pepper to taste

Combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, salt, & pepper. Toss with first 9 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or two. You can eat as soon as it's done, but it just gets better the longer the flavors combine. The next day is best!
    *Note - To get 3 cups of cooked lentils, rinse 1 cup of dried lentils and put in a pot with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and continue to cook. Taste periodically until lentils reach desired level of doneness.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:

Calories - 424
    Fat - 19g
    Carbs - 45g
    Fiber - 16g
    Protein - 21g
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

Makes 4-6 Servings

1 cup Traditional Quinoa
    2 cups water
    4-6 medium or large green peppers (number of peppers depends on size)
    1 medium onion, diced
    1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
    2 tbsps butter
    1 28oz can diced tomatoes, juice reserved
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 12oz jar salsa
    2 tbsps red wine vinegar
    10oz mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 325 degrees farenheit. Cook quinoa following basic directions (add 1 cup quinoa to 1-1/2 cups boiling water, return to boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook until water is absorbed; about 15 minutes). Blanch (immerse in boiling water for a minute to a minute and a half) peppers that have had their tops & seeds removed. You could also cut the peppers in half after blanched. In a large skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in butter. Add the diced tomatoes. Add the garlic and salsa. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the red wine vinegar and simmer 10 more minutes. Fold in quinoa. Place peppers in a baking dish or large cup muffin tin and fill with quinoa mixture. This will take about half the mixture. Thin remainder with reserved juice and pour around peppers. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella over peppers and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

Notes:

The above is the recipe as it was presented to us. As a group, there were some things done differently. For one, we didn't bother with placing the remaining mixture around the outside of the peppers as they baked. For another, we didn't put cheese on the peppers before baking, but rather opted to place the cheese on halfway through so it wouldn't burn. Further, each of did something a little different with our own recipes - not adding onion, not adding salsa, etc. - just to make it our own. This really is a versatile recipe and, like the one last month, the possibilities are truly endless.
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    Couscous w/Peppers & Chicken

2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 medium carrots, diced
    1 large red bell pepper, diced
    1 jalapeno pepper, diced (seeds & ribs removed)
    200g white button mushrooms, diced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/3 cups bulk barn tri-color couscous
    2 cups chicken broth
    12 oz (about 3 cups) chopped chicken

1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add veggies & season with salt and pepper. Saute for 5-10 minutes until softened.
    2. Add garlic and stir to combine until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add couscous and broth, stir to combine, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 8-10 minutes until broth is absorbed.
    3. Add chicken and stir until heated through. Enjoy!

The inspiration for this meal (read: the original recipe) can be found here: http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/easy-chicken-and-couscous-skillet-dinner.html