Tell me about your supplements......

Options
rubybeach
rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
I was reading with interest the discussion on the "Upping Cals, what to expect" thread regarding supplements that you find beneficial. I used to take papaya enzyme and it worked great......sometimes we just forget what's out there.

Anyone want to share their list of supplements (including your favorite protein powder)?

If its a supplement that is not common can you list the benefit of taking it?

My list includes;

Multi Vitamin-Kirkland
Vitamin D- Dr. Weil (lack of sun here)
OptImum Nutrition Protein Powder: Vanilla Ice Cream (so good)

I need to add an Fish Oil/Omega, a probiotic and would love suggestions on a tasty chocolate protein powder.

Thank you!!

Replies

• twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I was taking L-Carnitine for awhile which seemed to help with my energy levels. I ran out though and haven't bothered to get a new bottle.

I take a multi-vitamin, Co-Q10 and fish oil capsules every day, religiously!!!

I'm also interested to hear what protein powders others have tried and enjoyed. I've been drinking the Trader Joe's vanilla flavored whey protein and I really like it but other flavors/brands would be nice to try too.
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I do not take a multi-vitamin, as I track my food vitamins and therefore only supplement based on my dietary deficiencies.
    So I end up taking a subligual Vit B Complex (I'm a vegetarian), Calcium w/ Vit D (cause I'm a woman), Cinnamon w/ Chromium (sugar metabolism) and I just started using a Whey Protein, selected randomly from Walmart's stock choices. (Body Fortress Chocolate Peanut butter flavor).
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I take Alive multi-vitamin with iron (I eat pretty well, but like to be covered just in case and what is not needed I just pee out...lol)
    MSM 5k mg daily ( LOVE IT...cured my horrible allergies,reduces swelling in the body...but again it cured my allergies...nuff said OH and DO NOT USE if allergic to sulpher)
    Carlson vit D 10,000 iu daily (I have finally gotten my ngl over 50, deficits have been linked to cancer and belly fat)
    Olympian Lab Krill Oil 500 mg one daily
    DIM (broccoli extract)
    Natrol CLA 1200mg (heard it is supposed to cut fat...hey trying it, it is a good healthy fat)

Protein shake....

I LOVE DR. MERCOLA PURE POWER PROTEIN...made from organic cows and full of chia seeds, all wonderfully natural
    It is quite pricey, but I AM WORTH IT!

I shake things up with Jillian Micheal's Shakes...love that they are NATURAL...which is so rare...most are filled with aspartame, sucralose, blahblahxys/cids/blahblah who knows....

Ok, off the soap box...pboooffff drops mic...lol
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Sunsdown chewable adult multivitamin
    Sunsdown chewable vitamin C
    Fish Oil when I remember

For protein right now I use Jillian Michaels natural whey protien in chocolate.
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Let me I have a serious mental block for remembering to take medicine so I'm lucky to consume them a few times a week.:

- Centrum MV
    - Equate (Walmart generic version) Align probiotic. I have IBS so this helps a lot with maintaing regular digestion and also boost immunity.

For protein I currently have:
    JM chocolate
    Body Fortress in vanilla and choc peanut butter (vanilla is WAY better then choc PB)
    EAS carb control in all flavors (my fav because it is ready to serve and I can be lazy about mixing protein shakes)

Thanks for the info ladies.

Lucia, so gonna check out your allergy cure. I have HORRIBLE allergies!
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Multi-vitamin
    Fish Oil
    Complex B
    Glucosamine

Was on a ton more but as the bottles ran out I just stopped buying more.
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Lucia, what brand of MSM do you use?
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin and chocolate shakeology.
  • eklopez14
    eklopez14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The only think I take is GNC Ultra mega Women's Multivitamin.

I have also started drinking Matcha (green tea powder) every morning and have seen an increase in energy (which is sustained throughout the day) and it seems to have stablizied my blood sugar as well. :flowerforyou:
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Lucia, what brand of MSM do you use?

Nature's Way in 1000mg pill...so not too big...
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Let me I have a serious mental block for remembering to take medicine so I'm lucky to consume them a few times a week.:

- Centrum MV
    - Equate (Walmart generic version) Align probiotic. I have IBS so this helps a lot with maintaing regular digestion and also boost immunity.

For protein I currently have:
    JM chocolate
    Body Fortress in vanilla and choc peanut butter (vanilla is WAY better then choc PB)
    EAS carb control in all flavors (my fav because it is ready to serve and I can be lazy about mixing protein shakes)

Thanks for the info ladies.

Lucia, so gonna check out your allergy cure. I have HORRIBLE allergies!

Oh my, yes try 5000 or even 6000 mg a day...be consistent and for me at literally the 30 day mark I noticed I didn't have any allergy symptoms...I mean it was like wait, my eyes aren't red, my nose isn't runny...I couldn't believe it. I will say, my son has allergies worse then me (and mine was BAD), the msm didn't get rid of his like it did for me...BUT he is not consistent with taking it either...his allergies are better, but not gone like mine...

So again, give it at least 30 days and if I get into my "I don't feel like taking pills", I am reminded at around the 10 day mark why I better keep taking MSM. If the pollen is REALLY bad and I have a little break through I just take an extra couple thousand mgs for a couple days and pooffff back to my normal state.

It was a life changer for me!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I might try the MSM for allergies, too, thanks for the tip. I go to sleep with benedryl and wake up with flonase.
    I like the GNC amplified wheybolic extreme 60, it has sucralose, though, which is derived from sugar, but I would like something without. My favorite flavor is vanilla and it's about 100 cals and 20 grams of protein per scoop.
    Other than that I take Centrum Performance and it has some ginseng in it. I have vitB sublingual but don't take it consistently.
    I think I should be taking Fish oil or flax, calcium, and vit D.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i don't take too many.... (when i remember i take some or all of these)

vitamin b complex (for energy)
    vitamin c (so I don't get sick)
    multi vitamin (usually just on vacations when I know I'm not eating right)

and i use the body fortress whey protein chocolate powder from walmart because it's what fits into my budget (poor college kids)

i've always been afraid of taking a fish oil supplement because of all these "fish burps" horror stories i hear. i should probably add to my supplements, but i never know what's good and what's hype.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I am afraid of fishoil too, so I did flaxseed oil before and it was fine.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I take:

~Protein powders when I have no other choice, or don't feel like I'll hit my protein goals, other than that, I despise them all.....

~Schiff Move Free Advanced Joint supplement which has (MSM, Glucosamine & Chondroitin, Hyuralonic Acid, and something else, lol)

~Calcium, Vitamin D, Magnesium (all in one from Trader Joes, also has spirulina and some other goodies, lol)

~Eye Caps Multi-vitamin, (w/Lutein) because my eyes suck

~Fish oil

~Creatine (mostly during muscle building/bulk cycles, although I am currently still taking during my "cut")
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    With respect to "fish burps", I have tried a few brands and found that NATURE'S BOUNTY is the best brand - no after taste. Im not sure if you have this brand at your Walmart in the US but we have it here in Canada :)
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses.:flowerforyou: Lots of good ideas, I have severe allergies too....so I will give the MSM a try.

Oh.....and I use a netti-pot which can be very helpful.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Six Star Triple Chocolate from Walmart (I'm just not willing to spend big bucks for protein powder when my husband and I both use it).

Fiber supplement

Probiotic

Prenatal multivitamin...gotta keep the body ready for baby #2.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I might try the MSM for allergies, too, thanks for the tip. I go to sleep with benedryl and wake up with flonase.
    I like the GNC amplified wheybolic extreme 60, it has sucralose, though, which is derived from sugar, but I would like something without. My favorite flavor is vanilla and it's about 100 cals and 20 grams of protein per scoop.
    Other than that I take Centrum Performance and it has some ginseng in it. I have vitB sublingual but don't take it consistently.
    I think I should be taking Fish oil or flax, calcium, and vit D.

Oh my I was so there... I took alergy drugs thy took off the market...no more!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I put my fish oil (flavored) in smoothies, I didn't even know about fish burps til I heard people talking about it on MFP, lol