Circle Swimming Ettiquette

Options
CALake
CALake Posts: 269 Member
I understand that when the lanes are full you've got to switch to circle swimming, but... is there any polite way to tell someone no?

A woman jumped into my lane today (I was already sharing) so we had to circle swim. Only she was very slow, and the other girl was doing drills. It just doesn't work if you're all not going relatively the same speed!

Replies

• drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Not really, just run them over, which is almost as rude...:laugh:
  • veganswim
    veganswim Posts: 13
    Options
    Is there any designation for the speed of certain lanes? Maybe you could recommend this to the pool? I feel like the pools I used to swim at had this. I'm totally avoiding that situation until I'm back in better shape for that reason specifically--I don't want to be anyone's bummer. I swim at LA Fitness right now, where it's a strangely busy day when all four of the lanes even have one person each.
  • veganswim
    veganswim Posts: 13
    Options
    Also, are there other lanes open when this happens? Because I can't see someone being offended if you recommended they'd be happier in a certain lane where people are swimming more similarly to them and you explained the two people in your lane were doing drills and timed sets and really needed a whole half a lane each. I'm assuming they ask before they just jump in?
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    At our municipal pool, there are designated lanes for slow and fast swimmers and you have to swim circuits. The slow section is also three lanes wide, so there's space to overtake.

However, at LA Fitness where I do almost all of my swimming the pool is split in two. Unofficially the left is for plodders and the right is for faster swimmers and usually up to 3 people can swim lanes in each section without really interfering with anyone else's swim. But there are some members who will insist on swimming in circuits if a third person joins the section, which is often totally unnecessary.

Mind you, it's seldom that that there is more than 6 peeps swimming at any one time and I usually see them come and go as I plod merrily up and down until I've done my 150-200 lengths. :happy:
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    At the pool I use they address speed differences by designating the lanes from slow to fast. The suggested rules on lap etiquette is that if you are regularly getting passed you should move a lane over towards the slower side. They have the rules posted on a laminated sheet and it is stuck on pylons they place by the 1st and last lanes. They also have "slow lane" and "fast lane" on the two outside lanes.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I would love to tell you the answer- but I am the slow swimmer. I personally if doing it with someone I judge when they are going to pass me and will wait at the end of a lap (off to the side a little) so they can kick off and pass. Then I continue. Is that what I should be doing because that's what I do!?!?!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Me too ratherbeskiin - good excuse to get a breather. I was thinking about this post yesterday as it was difficult at my pool to work out which of the lanes to go for. One full of people doing axlane then having a chat (I use that one fir practising butterfly in, we all get a good giggle). One clearly fir the very fast. The middle lane already quite full. Luckily my pool is really good natured - people often hold back and I cannot see anyone minding if you suggested a lane swap as long as you did it very nicely. I had someone tickle my feet yesterday as he caught me up and he was so apologetic I didn't get a chance to suggest a lane swap but he wasn't irritated, we had a quick chat when we were both on interval breathers and he was lovely about my variable speeds I do a mix of drills and 'real' swimming). I guess my feeling is, if you really think just 2 people can have a lane (ie the pool is empty enough) then ask very nicely. If not ask nicely if you can go first, the other person should get the hint to wait. It can be annoying sharing but we all have to do it and we all get annoyed for different reasons. However the real reason for this post is that yesterday I actually overtook someone in my lane. One day this will be irritating. Yesterday I was elated!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    This link might help: http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/pooletiquette (I like the suggestion to keep your toenails and fingernails clipped :smile: )

I don't think you can refuse to circle swim if it is crowded. If you don't think it is working out, you can try to switch to a lane with faster swimmers (or suggest an alternative lane to the slower swimmer for "safety" reasons, but you never know how the other person is going to take this.)

I'm also typically the slower swimmer, but sometimes my only other lane choice has back floaters and snorkel gear wearers, so sometimes it is impossible to lap swim safely in the designated "slow" lane and as we all know, "medium" speed is up for interpretation.

Tapping the foot of the swimmer in front of you before passing is the standard etiquette (and I think passing is only supposed to happen at the wall, if I'm not mistaken), but please know that this can completely freak people out if they are not aware of this, so if you are circle swimming with others that you think you may have to pass, you might want to mention the foot tapping signal so they are cool with it and not think you are an overly agressive swimmer.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Years ago the pool was really full and everyone insisted on swimming up and down. I asked an old man if him and I could swim a circle and he said no. I was pissed and kept swerving into him :devil:

...I tend to get very mean in the pool :embarassed:

Nowadays I would welcome the extra challenge of trying to pass others, but no one EVER swims a circle during free swim and when I swim with my team, we all tend to go the same speed :P
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    If there's no other option and I have to circle swim, I'll alter my workout plans so I'm doing shorter distances and not passing as many times. Typically most swimmers at my pool are considerate of each other and we can make it work just fine and I have NO PROBLEM - but when someone isn't considerate and pushes off right in front of me a few too many times, I'll just start making lots of wake so they move to another lane :) OOPS! Or I put on fins and do a kick set fly on my back and make waves where NOBODY wants to be in my lane. But, like I said, that's only if they're being really inconsiderate for an extended period of time :) They need to learn that they aren't the only ones in the pool and that we all have to work together to make sure everyone gets a good workout!