Not eating clean and guilt

Options
Hi everyone!! Just joined this group today. I was wondering how you all feel about having a food "treat." For example, I go to a dietician who wants me to eat nonfat dairy, lean protein, fruits and veggies, nuts, and whole grain carbs. I am of course allowed "treats" once in a while, but she suggests not to have one every day. I am a binge eater and will sometimes have binge days, or even just go over my alloted calories a little bit. I usually feel very guilty after. What I want to know is: Do you guys have treats? how often? and do you feel guilty? How do you "make up" for overeating? I binged for 3 days due to the recent holidays and am hoping I didn't gain the five pounds I lost back!! I am going to try really hard not to overeat, but I beat myself up if it does happen. Thanks!!

-Megan

Replies

• AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    If your "treats" are trigger foods you are only sabotaging yourself. We all have them and they are usually simple carbs.

Also, I can't help but wonder if you feel the need to binge because you are an emotional eater? I know I am, and I used to hide and eat junk food, then feel guilty afterwards. Then I felt bad so I ate some more. It was a vicious cycle. If I just described you, you need to come to terms with WHY you soothe yourself with food. A good book to help you sort this out is Women Food & God by Geneen Roth.

If not, the trick is to find healthy treats to replace high calorie treats. This is what I do. A good place to start for recipes is the graciouspantry.com I am sure there are many more, but I have enjoyed every recipe I have tried so far. There really is a healthier alternative to almost every kind treat.

Another option is to only allow yourself a treat when you have earned that many calories with extra activity to make up the difference.
  • esteelewis
    esteelewis Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I went to a nutritionist also and was told to eat basically the same things that your nutritionist told you. I also am a binge eater.
    My nutritionist told me to set aside one meal, one day, and I could have what I wanted in order to avoid the binges.
    So every Sunday at lunch I get to eat the meal I want. I noticed for the first few weeks, I would get burgers and fries, or pizza or whatever...but then eventually I would start choosing salmon or pork, or salads...healthy items and would stay in my calorie range. My taste started changing some.

But that said, if I do want a burger once in a while I will have one. I will PLAN for it. That is the key. I will try to make it work in my calories. If I can't I workout a little longer. If I go over a few then fine. I limit it to once or twice a month though.

Also, another way to avoid binges is to find healthier alternatives to satisfy the cravings that you want. Split them into 100 calorie portions. If you have a binge attack then set a kitchen timer and wait for 15 minutes and sip water while you wait. If you still want your treat in 15 minutes eat it. If you want more set the timer for another 15 minutes and have another glass of water, then if you want it you can have it. If you do this 1) your binge craving will pass; 2) you will only have 1 or 2 servings; 3) you will eat 4-5 servings which is still infinitely better than 1000-2000 calories in one sitting.

It takes a while for your habits to change and your "tastes" to change. It may take a couple months for your taste to change and enjoy the flavor of the "clean" foods. The natural sweet in fruit etc.. But you can also fall back into old habits quickly.

Whatever you do don't beat yourself up and feel guilt over it. If you messed up on the holiday then fine. get back on track the next meal, or next day. Don't use it to catapult you into a week of binging.

Also, don't beat yourself up for eating 1 cookie or 2 cookies. Think about it, are you really going to tell me that you are NEVER going to eat a cookie or slice of cake ever again? That is very unrealistic for most people. The goal is to learn how to eat them on occasion...and to eat just one portion instead of multiple. Food in moderation....that is the goal.

Also don't reach for something just because its there. I have a friend who has lost i think 160 lbs or so. She will not eat a doughnut, or cookie just because her co-workers brought it to work, or she sees it in a store, or whatnot. If she finds she wants one she will plan it out for sometime that week and she will go across town and buy the very best cookie that she can, her favorite doughnut, etc... and she will savor every bite. She won't eat it just because its "there and convenient" if she is going to use the calories its going to be exactly what she wants to satisfy her and get her by for the month.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I binged for a whole week last week Partly it was because we had my daughter's birthday and Easter so we had junk in the house. Then it was also my time of the month and we all had colds. So it was almost like "Well everything is screwed up anyway so who cares." and it took me a whole week to get back on track. I think the emotion of guilt makes me eat more to try and make myself feel better. I feel like a drug addict or alcoholic who relapsed. So just like with any other addiction I decided to get back on the wagon and start taking it one day at a time again.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If your "treats" are trigger foods you are only sabotaging yourself. We all have them and they are usually simple carbs.

Also, I can't help but wonder if you feel the need to binge because you are an emotional eater? I know I am, and I used to hide and eat junk food, then feel guilty afterwards. Then I felt bad so I ate some more. It was a vicious cycle. If I just described you, you need to come to terms with WHY you soothe yourself with food. A good book to help you sort this out is Women Food & God by Geneen Roth.

If not, the trick is to find healthy treats to replace high calorie treats. This is what I do. A good place to start for recipes is the graciouspantry.com I am sure there are many more, but I have enjoyed every recipe I have tried so far. There really is a healthier alternative to almost every kind treat.

Another option is to only allow yourself a treat when you have earned that many calories with extra activity to make up the difference.

I am going to get this book!
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree... have a treat but stay away from the trigger foods. Its hard to eat clean 100% of the time but it is so worth it in the end. Im a binger and quite honestly it was nice to see a few other bingers comment on here. Its an every day struggle. Guilt is the worst. The only thing you can do is shake it off and move on. I never have a treat until I am really ready. I don't have a planned treat day or anything like that.
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    HealthyNFit4Life Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! Thank you for the helpeful comments!!
    I definitely do binge eat when I am stressed, sad, etc. I know my triggers. I am a social work intern and have had discussions about binge eating with the psychologist I work with. He suggests either finding a different coping skills when you feel the need to binge (ex. going for a walk, taking a bath, reading a book, etc) or imagining yourself much bigger than you are! So those are some suggestsions. I'm working on them.

I also did read the book "Women, Food, and God!" It is a wonderful book! I haven't really tried the "meditation" techniques she suggests, but I do think she has a lot of good info in there. I may read it again.

I think you all have good ideas with planning out a "treat" meal once a week (I started doing this the first week, but it would turn into more than once a week) and finding altnerative options to trigger foods.

Another question I have is: How do you feel having a small treat (an unclean food) a few times a week, if it fits into your calories for the day? I have a friend who does that and she just lost 20 pounds.

Thanks everyone!!
  • esteelewis
    esteelewis Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Another question I have is: How do you feel having a small treat (an unclean food) a few times a week, if it fits into your calories for the day? I have a friend who does that and she just lost 20 pounds.

Thanks everyone!!

I actually do not "eat clean" 100% of the time. I aim for about 80% clean. In my mind 100% is just unrealistic for me.
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    First of all: Welcome to the club! :) We´re glad to have you amongst us for this journey.

And now to the "unclean" foods. I have them once in a while and I do not feel bad about it. I try to eat clean 80-90% of the time and feel very good with that. It is a transition and personally I can't go from 0-100 instantly. And heck, of course there are days/weeks when processed food is my choice. But in the end it is about the longterm overall change.

And I found out that I do much better without any perfectionism regarding my food. :)
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    when you want something to indulge in just eat organic peanut butter with a tsp of honey on toast. better than going and eating a ton of paydays lol
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    ...I also did read the book "Women, Food, and God!" It is a wonderful book! I haven't really tried the "meditation" techniques she suggests, but I do think she has a lot of good info in there. I may read it again...

I didn't mediate either. My spiritual beliefs and the author's are not the same, but the book had so many other good things in it I still recommend it to anyone who is an an emotional eater. One of the most profound things in the book for me was "It's not about the food, but it's not NOT about the food either."
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    when you want something to indulge in just eat organic peanut butter with a tsp of honey on toast. better than going and eating a ton of paydays lol

Earth Balance Peanut Butter and Raw Honey on whole wheat bread is one of my most favorite things ever!
  • Perdy64
    Perdy64 Posts: 22
    Options
    As I begin my journey, I'm finding patterns. One of then is that once I go 'off plan' or 'cheat', I say to myself that I've ruined the day and then eat what ever I want for the rest of the day. Once I start adding up the calories (my app isn't working correctly on my phone currently) I find I wasn't really that off and that I could have made it up but now I'm 500 or more calories over. I never really considered myself a binge eater (nor do I know the definition).
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Earth Balance Peanut Butter and Raw Honey on whole wheat bread is one of my most favorite things ever!

Oh i love this! I also plan for treats. Last night i really wanted a wine ( organic, but still..) so i pumped an extra 130 cal at the gym beforehand and i didnt feel guilty. I do the same thing, binge eat when i feel guilty. I sympathize with you all :)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    This is a little off topic, but I don't understand the nonfat dairy rec. Nonfat dairy is processed terribly. Why not smaller amounts of unmolested, delicious, vitamin-rich full fat dairy?
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I think that its all in our heads.. i too have a guilty feeling when i dont eat what i consider to be good clean foods... i just try and tell myself it doesn't matter, dont try and skip this or over-do that.. it is what it is, keep pushing thru and dont beat yourself up! all you have to do is know you are committed still and love on yourself.. one meal, one day will not ruin all the work you have put in for the week, weeks, months!