Tired. Oh so tired.

Options
Jessica1274
Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
I'm in Stage 1, workouts 4. On the evenings after I lift, and for the entire next day, I'm am so tired. As in, crawl in bed and sleep tired. Although, I don't sleep super great. (That is pretty normal. I haven't slept great in years.) I am getting no exercise on nonlift days, because I'm just exhausted. I typically eat between 1750 and 2000 calories.

Is this normal? Will it pass?

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,969 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty ordinary to feel "tired" when you've just started into strength training. Can I ask you - are you making sure that you are eating SUFFICIENT calories (and drinking water??)??

"tired-ness" can also be a symptom of hunger....
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Are you over training? Maybe try to just do lifting and cut back on cardio
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Beeps-- I think I am eating enough. I hope so. I am eating 1750 min and I've eaten as much as 2100 on lift days. I always make sure I net my BMR at least on workout days, but usually I'll net more than that.

Yanicka-- I'm really not doing any cardio at the moment. I had been before starting the program, but I don't have the energy anymore. I do try to do something at least on one of my rest days, but it isn't a heavy burn by any means.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Maybe a bit of anemia maybe? See if it get better
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I can't really speak to normal, but I can tell you I often feel very tired after lifting as well. I don't do much, if any, extra cardio but I suppose I could see it being not enough food. I usually work out in the evenings so I don't have many calories post-workout even if I hit my daily goal.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    If you already don't sleep well, you're body is already sort of taxed even without doing any extra work (exercise). I know when I'm lifting I really need to make sure I get adequate sleep or I'm worthless. Maybe you should cut back the workouts to 2 times a week until you adjust.
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Hmm. I don't *want* to cut back, but I probably will if it doesn't improve. Also, I think I am going to get a dr appt to have some labs run. I've been needing to have some levels checked out; maybe that's the culprit.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It's definetly a good idea to run a blood check. I was having exhaustion problems last time I saw the dr, and it turned out I had very low B-12, not enough to be aenemic but still quite low. So I started taking a sublingual supplement and I'm thinking about making a big batch of crock pot beef every week, and eating a little bit every day, just to make sure I'm getting a natural source of vitamins. And I do feel a lot better even though I sometimes forget the vitamin.

And, you may want to consider getting a bit of sunlight every day for vitamin D, maybe drink your coffee in the early morning sun, that may help tiredness and it won't give you cancer.

And maybe drink more coffee/tea? :) I have 2 doses daily :D

Finally maybe back off a tiny bit on the workouts? And be sure to take a full 24-hour rest on the REST day, like maybe take a casual walk-the-dog pace walk, and nothing else? I think I remember the author stressing that.

Hope you feel better!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Oh! And. There's a supplement called ZMA:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OZGQ0/ref=oh_o04_s01_i00_details

it's Zinc, Magnesium & Vitamin B-6, and it claims to aid in muscle recovery after workouts. I'm not sure if there's any science to back that claim, but I can tell you there's plenty of anectdotal evidence for the little pills helping you sleep. I take 1 some nights (when the dogs are being extra hyper) and it seems to help me sleep more soundly. They're not expensive so maybe you could give it a try.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me as well and I do have low vitamin d