New to Sleep Apnea

Options
I had my first sleep study on Monday night and they called today to say, yep, you have sleep apnea. Come back in next week for the study with the cpap. I'm hoping this will help, since I'm soooooo tired all the time. I'm glad that there is a group here, even a tiny one that understand this problem. Feel free to add me, if you'd like.

Replies

• cmhoward645
    cmhoward645 Posts: 301
    Options
    I had my first sleep study on Monday night and they called today to say, yep, you have sleep apnea. Come back in next week for the study with the cpap. I'm hoping this will help, since I'm soooooo tired all the time. I'm glad that there is a group here, even a tiny one that understand this problem. Feel free to add me, if you'd like.

Hey good luck on your CPAP Titration, it'll make alot of difference. If you have any kind of sleep questions feel free to ask!
  • sdm329
    sdm329 Posts: 57
    Options
    I had my 2nd test and pick up my CPAP machine yesterday. I think I slept pretty good, I know it was better in my bed, then the test site's bed. I think I;m going to like waking up rested.
  • cmhoward645
    Options
    Hows your machine?
  • sdm329
    Options
    I think I'm doing pretty good. I've had a rough week, death in the family, so I know I'm not sleeping so well with that. I think the machine is working pretty good. I wake up with a really dry mouth every morning, I know my mouth opens when I sleep, so I just need to stop but not sure how.
  • cmhoward645
    Options
    I think I'm doing pretty good. I've had a rough week, death in the family, so I know I'm not sleeping so well with that. I think the machine is working pretty good. I wake up with a really dry mouth every morning, I know my mouth opens when I sleep, so I just need to stop but not sure how.

Oh, that's a tough one. You can use a chin strap to keep your mouth closed, or switch to a full face mask (one that covers both your nose and your mouth.)

As far as the dry mouth goes, you mostly get used to it. Did they give you a humidifier?
  • sdm329
    Options
    I do have a humidifier and have raised the temp a couple of times already. The dry mouth is getting better; I woke up without one the other morning, so it's a whole retraining what my body used to do compared to now. I can get a new mask in a couple of months, but the tech didn't recommend the full face mask for me since I have a tiny face. He also said the chin strap can be uncomfortable. He did give me some suggestions of how to sleep to help with training the mouth to stay closed. Like tucking a pillow right under my chin and then hugging it when I fall asleep. That has helped but I sleep on my back so it falls off. I think I've just been more aware of it and close it during the night. I have surgery next week, so I'm not sure how all that is going to work. But I do like it more than not, so I think we are a good fit.
  • cmhoward645
    Options
    That's good to hear! I've had a bout 50/50 luck with a chin strap. Patients that are adamant about sleeping without a full face mask are usually the ones that do better. Good luck with your surgery, and keep us posted!
  • sdm329
    Options
    It'll be hard getting on here this coming, but I do plan on logging everyday, so I'll keep you posted.