It's About More Than A Number

Options
egwatkins
egwatkins Posts: 9 Member
I don't know about you, but I'm motivated by numbers - whether it's calories burned, weights lifted, mileage completed. For the most part, I'll push myself a little harder if I'm getting close to conquering a particular number.

Sometimes our biggest motivater can be our biggest downer when the scale isn't cooperating with our efforts. There's at least a couple of things that we have to remember, one of which one of our group friends mentioned today. First of all, muscle weighs more than fat, so as we go through the re-shaping process, we may have to face some higher numbers before we really experience noticeable loss. Also, there's the issue of "plateau-ing" - hitting that comfort zone where we are maintaining and not losing. We may have to kick it up a notch (but in a healthy way).

But even considering all of this, don't take for granted how much better you feel just knowing you are practicing good stewardship over your body - improved eating, exercising, getting better sleep (I hope). As much as I want the number on the scale to be a little lower, I really want to be and feel healthy. And I want to be proud of lifestyle changes that show that I value this vessel God has given me to carry.

So celebrate your victories. Pat yourself on the back when you complete a good workout. Raise your glass (of water - lol) when you complete a healthy day of eating within your calorie count. And encourage yourself with the knowledge that your efforts will not only be seen in the physical, but also in your spirit and your soul!:smile:

Don't be weary in well-doing for in due season you will reap if you do not faint. Galatians 6:9

Replies

• ShanaGore
    ShanaGore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks Emily, I needed this one!! You are right, I am very happy about the progress I have made. I also decided I did need to "kick it up" a notch. I took a good look at my food diary and while I was staying within my calorie goal everyday, there was still some room for improvement to make sure more of those calories were coming from veggies. Also, I started carrying weights while I am walking and have pushed a little harder at the gym. And after making some adjustments I feel GREAT! So even if the scale doesn't indicate any decrease next Tuesday, I will still be thrilled with this progress!
  • egwatkins
    egwatkins Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm talking about, Shana!!! You go, girl!!!!
  • warrior_hero
    warrior_hero Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Definitely topical...after a week of working out twice a day every day and never going over my calorie count I, and my wife, saw my stomach become visibly flatter, i felt better and all my clothes fit better. But when I weighed myself I went up a pound. Confused and upset I hit up the local pizza place...

I ended up ripping the scale in half and going my visible proof alone from now on. haha.