Just Joined :)

Options
Just wanted to drop in and say hello :) My name is Mandy I had my gastric bypass in July of 2009 and have joined myfitnesspal to meet my final weight goals :) I tend to be a lurker, but will maintain my daily activity on my blog, and in my food and exercise diary.

I do have one question. Do any of you have this problem? I seem to vomit every time I eat meat. I can eat anything bad for me . . . like potatoe chips and brownies, but if I try to eat something healthy like a salad . . . any type of meat . . . nope out it comes. I basically live on protein shakes and coffee :) So I was just wondering if any of you out there had any ideas or suggestions on this?

Mandy :)

Replies

• Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 3.6 years ago and have not vomited at all since surgery. Please speak to your surgeon about this. I don't think that's normal.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I too had difficulty with meat. Especially beef. I had bypass surgery 18 years ago and for me it got better. I can eat beef now without throwing up if I am careful to cook it till it is very tender. If It isn't tender or if I don't take the time to chew it very well it just won't go through.

I also understand what you mean about the junk foods. My doctor (18 years ago) warned me that sometimes bypass can turn people into junk food junkies. He also said that that happens more with lap banding than roux en y. I had roux en y and lost over 200 lbs over about a two year period. He wanted me to weigh 160 which I finally leveled out to. I maintained that for about 16 years till I broke my arm last year and put on 35 lbs. I'm here trying to loose 35 lbs. I have only lost 6 lbs since January 5th. This seems way too slow for me.

The only question I have for you, Mandy, is are you chewing your food as well as you need to and are you really taking your time to eat? If I don't chew as well as I am supposed to or if I eat too fast, it does come up again. Friend me if you like.
  • loribenfield
    loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had the gastric bypass. She is unable to keep meat and anything healthy down. She has just found out she has severe osteoporosis, severe anemia and a multitude of other problems from lack of nutrition. Please see your doctor and discuss this as it can be very serious. Glad you joined the group. Support is a wonderful thing.:wink:
  • loribenfield
    Options
    I watched the video. I will have my friend watch this! Very informative.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    There is quite a bit of good information on there. Is your friend a member?
  • loribenfield
    Options
    Not yet. I have suggested it to her. I will bring it up to her again. I think she will find a lot of useful information.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    Tell her I will friend her if she gets on. Try it for a week. If she hates it she can get off. She will find so much help here.
  • mandysmovin
    Options
    Thank you all for the warm welcome!!!

I see my Dr. on a very regular basis and have had several tests . I am very HIGH in iron as I eat a TON of baked Kale with sea salts. I had an upper GI to make sure there was no stricture . . . there was not. . . .I just cant seem to hold down anything solid unless it is junk!!!

I am going to try baby food. . . and also to over process my meat in the blender and add very small bits to each meal (or with my protien shake)

I just think I would be able to lose the rest of this weight if I could get more nutrients into my body!!!!

I have another check up in two weeks so hopefully the Dr. will be able to do another vitamin check . . . and hopefully the nutritionist will have something helpful to say :)

So happy to be part of the group! I think it really will be a great support system!!