Any other Vegetarians here?

Options
lillebanon
lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
Even adding whey protein a couple of times a day, I am not really getting close to the 170 g I need to be eating (although doing much better than the 30g I was squeezing in back in my 1200 cal days).

Replies

• ShannaSwitzer
    ShannaSwitzer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and I eat "clean" I do eat eggs, dairy & occasional fish.

I have a hard time getting above 100g of protein daily, so I'm just subbing to this thread for ideas. :)
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I should add I do eat eggs and some dairy (I'm intolerant of lactose, so I opt for soy milk, but do fine with most cheeses and yogurts). I haven't had any meat or fish in 16 years. Its a medical thing for me - most animal protein causes extreme digestive distress for me.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I'm not veg but did experience some digestive issues when I upped protein and started eating more meat so I've been looking for more veg options. Dairy protein has been a good one, particularly cottage cheese and also various beans. I also went back to eating tofu which I had not had for awhile and that seemed to help as well. I'm not much for the fake meat products, but I may give some of those a try (they taste fine, I have just always thought the concept of fake meat was silly). When all else fails I've just been using protein powder to supplement my diet.

I'd love to hear some ideas from others too.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    I used to only eat fish occassionally but I've found I've had to eat more to get my protien up which really I'd rather not be doing. I'm thinking of eating quorn mince/chunks again where before I'd tried to cut out most processed food but if it's a toss up between processed and fish...

I don't really like tofu but I think that is high in protein?

Other than that cottage cheese is great and I've found some wholemeal breads have a high protein content. I make a chilli with lentils and beans, I add seeds/nuts to breakfast/snacks and eggs are good - I combine egg whites with a whole egg to up the protein without adding too much fat.

Always looking out for good suggestions.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Quinoa? It has 10-11 grams of protein per 1/2 cup and apparently is a complete protein. It pretty good kinda tastes like couscous or rice.

Greek Yogurt and Cottage cheese really help me. I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat very much meat, so I struggle a bit with protein too. Whey protein shakes help some, I just really don't care for them that much....at least without adding a bunch of stuff to them!!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian working towards vegan. I have a hard time reaching protein because I LOVE my carbs and will opt for carbs any time I can. I am looking for a good tasting vegan protein powder. I do eat quinoa, lentils, beans, nuts, tofu....for protein, but max out on carbs and only reach about 60 grams a day on protein.

I hate the thought of using a protein powder that takes up 200+calories when I am eating 1630 per day.

Whey is not at option. I do still eat dairy...but I keep to a minimum and am going to elminate completely.