how does eating more to weigh less works exactly?

Options
tantalee
tantalee Posts: 130 Member
How does this work exactly?
Can some one tell me how is a typical day?

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Well, members of this group just do not believe in eating less than one's BMR (the amount of calories needed for the body to function if you were in a coma-state, in bed all day).....no 1200 calories fits all.

We eat a certain percentage lower than our TDEE but at least our BMR.

This post by Lucia will help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr
  • tantalee
    Options
    So i should eat, at least, 1500 cal in my non-working out days.
    But what kind of work out? Cardio? Lifting weights?
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    So i should eat, at least, 1500 cal in my non-working out days.
    But what kind of work out? Cardio? Lifting weights?

Everyone does their preferred methods of exercising. All movement is beneficial. We *highly* recommend that strength training be included in the regimen for a variety of reasons including aiding in fitness/aesthetic goals. Stated plainly: weights are what's up :glasses: . They transform your body like you wouldn't believe, and I'd be lost w/o my iron. Cardio obviously has it's place too, in burning some fat, and keeping the heart healthy, so for best results we recommend including both. :wink:

~Kiki
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it so much as "eating more," as "eating right."

It's "more" than someone blindly following a 1200 calorie diet, but still less than your body burns every day.

I remember before I got the hang of eating right, I never really thought about how many calories your body would burn in a typical day. So I'd get on an exercise bike and maybe burn 90 calories in 15 minutes and think, "Great. I just 'earned' a granola bar. Big whoop." And realizing how hard I had to work for calories burned made me really stingy about what I was eating. "I worked so hard to burn 300 calories... I don't want to WASTE it on THAT!" So I'd undereat, and think that every single piece of food that went into my mouth had to be nutritionally perfect.

I didn't realize then that even without that exercise, my body was burning about 1800 calories a day, so if I burned an extra 300 from exercise I was up to 2100. To lose a pound a week, I'd take 500 calories off that, and be left with 1300 plus the 300 from exercise, or 1600 total. Or for a half pound a week, I'd have a total of 1850. Giving myself maybe 300 calories for breakfast and 400 for lunch, that means I could have enough calories to throw a couple tasty snacks in there, and enough left over for dinner that I could "afford" 850 calories for half a DiGiorno Rising Crust Pizza.

Not only that, we have to realize that when we were gaining weight, we probably weren't eating all that bad. Say you gained 20 pounds over the course of a year... that's only about .4 pounds a week, or about 200 extra calories a day. So... maybe one can of soda. You weren't a gluttonous sloth. You were just eating a little too much. So you don't need to completely overhaul your eating habits, just tweak them a little, and/or add more activity so the amount you were eating isn't too much anymore.
  • Snubbleup
    Snubbleup Posts: 66
    Options

It's "more" than someone blindly following a 1200 calorie diet, but still less than your body burns every day.

I remember before I got the hang of eating right, I never really thought about how many calories your body would burn in a typical day. So I'd get on an exercise bike and maybe burn 90 calories in 15 minutes and think, "Great. I just 'earned' a granola bar. Big whoop." And realizing how hard I had to work for calories burned made me really stingy about what I was eating. "I worked so hard to burn 300 calories... I don't want to WASTE it on THAT!" So I'd undereat, and think that every single piece of food that went into my mouth had to be nutritionally perfect.

I didn't realize then that even without that exercise, my body was burning about 1800 calories a day, so if I burned an extra 300 from exercise I was up to 2100. To lose a pound a week, I'd take 500 calories off that, and be left with 1300 plus the 300 from exercise, or 1600 total. Or for a half pound a week, I'd have a total of 1850. Giving myself maybe 300 calories for breakfast and 400 for lunch, that means I could have enough calories to throw a couple tasty snacks in there, and enough left over for dinner that I could "afford" 850 calories for half a DiGiorno Rising Crust Pizza.

Not only that, we have to realize that when we were gaining weight, we probably weren't eating all that bad. Say you gained 20 pounds over the course of a year... that's only about .4 pounds a week, or about 200 extra calories a day. So... maybe one can of soda. You weren't a gluttonous sloth. You were just eating a little too much. So you don't need to completely overhaul your eating habits, just tweak them a little, and/or add more activity so the amount you were eating isn't too much anymore.

Thank you, I needed to hear this today. I've been a little frustrated at my lack of progress but I'm making positive changes that I can maintain for the long term instead of going for instant gratification and a rebound down the road.
  • tantalee
    Options
    thank you all
    i think i need to find my way still. All the diets that the docs prescribe to me just fail because i hate them. For me , i think that as long as im bellow the calorie intake, its cool...maybe im seeing it wrong
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options

LOVE!!!!

Listen to this woman! Her results speak for themsevles :glasses:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I understand. Im in the process of trying to change my thinking over to eating the fuel my body, and not starve it. Its been a very rough four weeks trying to "stuff my face" so to speak and think that the weight will come off.
    But I have had a lot of support from the ladies in here who have pushed me to believe in it, seen the proof in them, and know that I dont have to starve on 1400 cals a day to lose weight.

Its so hard to get over the mental block when you begin, because we have been trained to believe that in order to lose weight, we must starve ourselves and it is just not the case. Have you ever looked at a Nutritional Label that has that little Asterix saying "information based on an average 2000 calorie diet"?? Guess what? Thats roughly what an AVERAGE person needs to eat in order to maintain their weight. So why are we forced to think we need to eat 1200 cals instead? Im still trying to wrap my head around it right now, but I promised that I would give it a complete and fair shot. So while the scale hasnt changed at this point, I have faith it will. And on top of that, i FEEL better. Im not so tired and sluggish. I can enjoy my days more. I have gone back to enjoying some of the foods that I had to give up on previous weight loss programs, like real cheese, or full fat salad dressings.

Its definitely a different way of thinking about our food, but it is the RIGHT way of thinking. Too many people starve themselves to get the results they want, and when they do they revert back to "old eating habits" and gain the weight back. Its not that they were eating Mcdonalds every day to gain it back.. they just went back to eating normally. But because the body was so adapted to eating on less than it needed, the body hoarded everything once again. Thus beginning the yoyo cycle all over again..

Again, Im still adjusting to this myself, but it makes perfect sense.. once you allow yourself to give it a fair shot for at least 4-6 weeks to make the change, you will thank yourself for it in the end. Believe me, I will be thrilled when I go out to dinner with friends who are eating 1200 cals a day and choose the side salad, and I enjoy the burger with my salad:)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I understand. Im in the process of trying to change my thinking over to eating the fuel my body, and not starve it. Its been a very rough four weeks trying to "stuff my face" so to speak and think that the weight will come off.
    But I have had a lot of support from the ladies in here who have pushed me to believe in it, seen the proof in them, and know that I dont have to starve on 1400 cals a day to lose weight.

Its so hard to get over the mental block when you begin, because we have been trained to believe that in order to lose weight, we must starve ourselves and it is just not the case. Have you ever looked at a Nutritional Label that has that little Asterix saying "information based on an average 2000 calorie diet"?? Guess what? Thats roughly what an AVERAGE person needs to eat in order to maintain their weight. So why are we forced to think we need to eat 1200 cals instead? Im still trying to wrap my head around it right now, but I promised that I would give it a complete and fair shot. So while the scale hasnt changed at this point, I have faith it will. And on top of that, i FEEL better. Im not so tired and sluggish. I can enjoy my days more. I have gone back to enjoying some of the foods that I had to give up on previous weight loss programs, like real cheese, or full fat salad dressings.

Its definitely a different way of thinking about our food, but it is the RIGHT way of thinking. Too many people starve themselves to get the results they want, and when they do they revert back to "old eating habits" and gain the weight back. Its not that they were eating Mcdonalds every day to gain it back.. they just went back to eating normally. But because the body was so adapted to eating on less than it needed, the body hoarded everything once again. Thus beginning the yoyo cycle all over again..

Again, Im still adjusting to this myself, but it makes perfect sense.. once you allow yourself to give it a fair shot for at least 4-6 weeks to make the change, you will thank yourself for it in the end. Believe me, I will be thrilled when I go out to dinner with friends who are eating 1200 cals a day and choose the side salad, and I enjoy the burger with my salad:)

Raynn you just preached that thing!!!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Raynn you just preached that thing!!!

I may be frustrated with the process, but I get it in the end:)
  • tantalee
    Options
    Being able to eat without starving my self is great. But the major issue is that i dont have a decent gim in more than 150km. So i need to find a way to workout strength without a gim. Also dont have money to buy equipment.
    Here i just walk and play wii.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Google body weight exercises. Or check the website bodyrock.tv.