walk breaks to no walk breaks?

Options
Hi. I have two questions. First regarding walk breaks, second, regarding pace.

First, I recently completed C25K, which in the last few weeks doesn't include any walk breaks. The last day of C25K is obviously, a 5K. I ran my first 5K in about 31.05. Then, I started training with the bridge to 10K. Every session includes walk breaks until (I think) the last day. I'm signed up for two 4 milers, one next weekend and one the weekend after and am a bit worried for a few reasons.

First, I'm nervous that I'm no longer used to running without the breaks. I feel like I should run the whole thing without walk breaks to get my best pace, even though I know a lot of the research says walk breaks do the opposite (but I haven't really seen that with me, as you will see below). I AM running for fun, but I get discouraged when I don't get a race time that I'm happy with, so I want to pick a strategy that will help me get my best time.

My second concern is that I picked the wrong training program. The whole program is running interspersed with walking, and I'm afraid that I will lose my ability to just run straight through.

Finally, I've noticed that my pace has just decreased and decreased the more time (and distance) I add to my runs. For example: Today I ran 4.26 miles, running 17 minutes and walking one minute, repeating 3 times. I am worried that I am slacking and really slowing down. I run about two miles at a 9:20 pace, and a 5K at about a 10:05 pace. My pace today is significantly shorter. Am I not pushing myself fast enough? What should I do? I am such a new beginning running that I've been focusing on endurance and time (and a little bit distance) and don't know that I'm quite ready to look at speed, though I really want the speed.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks for reading!

Replies

• flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't have all the answers by any means, but what is your ultimate goal? Is it to do well in your 4-mile races, run faster generally, or to move up to a longer distance?
    When I began running last year and got to the point of doing a 5K I was determined not to walk at all...and there were some sloooow sections (I was doing B210K at that point as well - and it's a hilly course - honest!). What converted me was a very windy day when there was no point battling against it and it was quicker to walk...and my 5K time wasn't significantly slower. Then I missed a few runs over the winter and the walk breaks seemed to be here to stay...but then, after I'd extended my long run to 8-9 miles, suddenly I could manage without the walk breaks - and in the last month I've taken nearly 2 minutes off my 5K PB.
    So it depends what you're looking for. I couldn't have extended my run distance without the structure of B210K, and in the end that has paid off - but there was a fair amount of time over the winter when my 5K time was static.
    Hope this helps,
    F4
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with some of these same issues. Nice to know I'm not the only one! After completing C25K, I was up to running at least 5K (but usually more) with no walk breaks. I wanted to improve my speed and distance, but I felt like I was getting in a rut. Same path, same distance, same time. So I started B210K to challenge myself.

I have improved my 5K time. I started out at about a 12 minute mile, and now I typically do it at 9 1/2 minutes. I have noticed that my run time is a little inconsistent and slower on average when I do the B210K where I'm just about doubling that distance.

I really think the problem is in my head! I tried running my same B210K route without using the app. I made it without stopping to walk and felt great. When I have my app on, though, and know that that guy is going to tell me that I can walk for a minute, I prepare myself for that. My run time lately has been about 11 minutes- way slower than where I want to be!

I hate to start something and not finish it, so I'm going to stick it out.

I'm also new to running, so I don't have much advice to give! I don't think it will hurt anything to take the walk breaks, but I worry too that I'll get too used to them.

Good luck with your races!