Books

Options
i'm really finding myself drawn to paganism, and would love to dive further into it. i saw the thread about books.. i'll definitely look into those. do any of you recommend or use specific spell books? i'm sure magick and it's uses are different for all of us, but i'm an eager student, looking for a teacher and hope i can bond with everyone in this community :)

thank you again for your help.

Replies

• hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Wish you lived closer! I'm part of a great group and we do classes and stuff. This is the website that my dad runs: http://newenglandwitchesalliance.org/ and this is the website that my group runs: http://www.prancethewitchespath.org/ Feel free to take a gander :)
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    You ought to get something by Raymond Buckland (the big blue book should be in every beginning pagan's library) and something by Scott Cunningham.

ooooh, and if you're into Harry Potter at all, you might look into The Grey School of Wizardry. It's geared towards kids, but most of the students are adults, and it is a lot of fun. I saw Oberon Ravenheart Zell speak a little while back and am witch crushing on his pointy hat pretty hard.
  • hm_day
    Options
    You ought to get something by Raymond Buckland (the big blue book should be in every beginning pagan's library) and something by Scott Cunningham.

ooooh, and if you're into Harry Potter at all, you might look into The Grey School of Wizardry. It's geared towards kids, but most of the students are adults, and it is a lot of fun. I saw Oberon Ravenheart Zell speak a little while back and am witch crushing on his pointy hat pretty hard.

My father created the Grey School of Wizardry website :) Oberon Zell lives out in my area, and my teachers are pretty close with him. It's really quite interesting!
  • Megume
    Megume Posts: 74
    Options
    Thank you two so much! I can't wait to explore this so much deeper. I feel happier just thinking about it :D
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options

My father created the Grey School of Wizardry website :) Oberon Zell lives out in my area, and my teachers are pretty close with him. It's really quite interesting!

Oberon and MorningGlory are such neat people! It's really cool you're learning through such a positive network. :heart:
  • AlysonBug
    AlysonBug Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A really good book to look into for magick purposes is Spell Caster. It is written by a number of pagans. Its a great read.
    http://www.amazon.com/Spellcaster-Seven-Ways-Effective-Magic/dp/0738706345
  • AlysonBug
    AlysonBug Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Honestly not a fan of Raymond Buckland's big blue book there's a tons of other ones I would recommend if interested still.
  • Megume
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestion :3 I've already had my nose in books for several days now, Can't wait to begin practicing on my own. I'd love it if there was a group to craft with in my area though.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options
    Have you looked? You'd be surprised. We're everywhere. :happy:
  • Megume
    Options
    i'm not really sure where to start. i've looked up some michigan pagan groups on google, but they seem to be based more on the eastern and northern parts of the state :/
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options
    Also try

FaceBook

any shops that sell incence, fair trade goods, local crafts, crystals, and are privately owned

the religious section of your local newspaper (seriously, my town lists about ten pagan groups right in there with the churches, and it's not a big town)

Earth Day is coming up, does your town have a faire?
  • Megume
    Options
    We used to.. sadly, they got rid of it. But I'll look around and see what I can find :)
  • MikkiMcCoy
    MikkiMcCoy Posts: 45
    Options
    Scott Cunningham's books are great.
  • kfink426
    kfink426 Posts: 16
    Options
    I always recommend True Magick by Amber K. and Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham as the first books to read. I find Buckland to read too much like a textbook, but the knowledge in it is good.
  • ChrisMM76
    ChrisMM76 Posts: 6
    Options
    Just my 2 cents worth, but have you tried witchvox.net ? They might have a group listing in your area.
  • hm_day
    Options
    Just my 2 cents worth, but have you tried witchvox.net ? They might have a group listing in your area.

Great site :)