Re: NROLFW and Other Exercise

Options
rebekahgo
rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
I was gonna dive right into NROLFW, but I have a 5K mud run obstacle course thing at the end of this month. Now, it's not some big competitive thing. I think it is mostly going to be a total blast. But, I do need to be able to get through it without dying, so I have been doing a C25K kind of thing where I'm just steadily increasing the length of time that I run at one time and the total time that I run during my workout. I have just managed to get to where I am running more than walking (including my warm up and cool down walks). I've never been a runner before, so I am taking it slow. So my question is can I do the two things at the same time? Or would it be better to hold off on NROLFW until after the 5K? I don't want the lifting to be rendered ineffectual because my muscles don't get enough rest in the in between because I am doing the 5K training. Thoughts?

(And my apologies for being such a posting slut. I get all excited when I start something new.)

Replies

• rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i just saw on another thread that HIIT twice a week was recommended, so this should be pretty ok i think. not the most effective exercise but not harmful either.

i have a bad habit of finding answers to my questions right after i post a question publicly.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the NROLFW program (that book is on my to-buy list) but I still do a mix of cardio (because I do need the cardio work, it's strength training for my heart muscle :P) and strength training, I just try to alternate days and make sure that if I burn enough that I go below my BMR that I eat enough to get back up to it. I think it's fine. You're gonna rock the mud run. My best friend does those pretty frequently and says they are a blast.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I'm just nearing the finish of stage 1 and I tried to go for a run last weekend and it was rough! The training should fit in fine but you may want to take time off from the program before your race. I'm planning to o a 10K at the end of may and I'm going to take a week off lifting beforehand. You may want to post your question in the NROL group, I've seen a lot of gals talking about running races over there. Good luck with the race!