How many sushi fans on here

Options

Replies

• zinok
    zinok Posts: 185
    Options
    I love sushi, but cannot tolerate sashimi. Not because of the taste, but the texture. I can handle tuna or salmon as long as it's in a roll so I can focus on the other textures, but sashimi just triggers my gag reflex.
    It sucks, because I'd have more sushi to enjoy if I could get over my weirdness about texture.
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Do you guys have Sushi Train where you are?

A sushi train is a conveyor belt that carries a variety of sushi and sashimi dishes past your table. You take the dishes you want as they pass by and then you stack your empty plates.

When you are finished the waiter counts the various plates and makes up your bill.

The chefs are generally in the centre of the track, in a circular open kitchen, making up the dishes and adding them to the train so the food is always fresh.

Very theatrical.
  • polaris8
    polaris8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sashimi is one of my main lunch items. I usually go for salmon, tuna, mackerel, or any really. My all time favourite item is the salmon roe (ikuru), and I love the flavour and sensation. I'm not really eating much sushi anymore though as I'm avoiding rice on the diet but not missing it too much. I go for sashimi and some veg on the side. Now I'm hungry, ;-)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

A sushi train is a conveyor belt that carries a variety of sushi and sashimi dishes past your table. You take the dishes you want as they pass by and then you stack your empty plates.

When you are finished the waiter counts the various plates and makes up your bill.

The chefs are generally in the centre of the track, in a circular open kitchen, making up the dishes and adding them to the train so the food is always fresh.

Very theatrical.

yeah its called "Kaiten sushi" usually -- although they are not always in the middle of it showing off, sometimes they are just in the back adding things to the belt

(ahh apparently the term sushi train is an australian thing because they use a train -- ?? -- rather than a conveyor belt?)
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I might have to get sushi this weekend now ... hmm! :)
  • EndofEternity
    Options
    I've only had the stuff that passes for sushi at cheap Chinese buffets. A sushi restaurant recently opened up in my area though and I'm determined to go try the proper stuff someday.
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Very theatrical.

yeah its called "Kaiten sushi" usually -- although they are not always in the middle of it showing off, sometimes they are just in the back adding things to the belt

(ahh apparently the term sushi train is an australian thing because they use a train -- ?? -- rather than a conveyor belt?)

Ha, that's Wikipedia for you. No little train on a track, just a conveyor. There IS a restaurant chain here called Sushi Train.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I love sushi and eat it about once a week. The weekly stuff is simple...usually salmon and california rolls. If I'm going out to a good sushi place (and there lot's in my area, yay), I tend to go for a variety of items. Salmon, tuna, eel, and avocado are my favorite ingredients.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I love it all! My absolute favorite is probably the grilled eel roll
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options

Very theatrical.

They need one of those in the US ........more specifically where I live!
  • sunnykt
    sunnykt Posts: 66
    Options
    *Nom nom nom*
    I have sushi at least once a week, there are two sushi places within walking distance from my house, plus my uni sells sushi as well (but it's not all that hot), and there are sushi trains and japanese sushi restaurants within walking distance. Sushi is far more common then burger joints here....
    I didn't even realise sushi train or sushi might be uncommon in some areas. xD
  • RxSprx
    RxSprx Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm a pretty adventurous eater, so of course I LOVE sushi! I could eat it every day, if not for the price tag and mercury poisoning.

Favorite rolls:
    Spicy Tuna, Philly, Spider (I know, the last two aren't that great for you, but they're SO good!)

Favorite nigri:
    SALMON (all time favorite), Yellow Tail, Unagi

I always try something new when I go out for sushi and always end up loving it.
  • TelliWelli
    Options
    Ok...so since we are on the topic of sushi...please help me!

My sister loves sushi...I have not really eaten sushi before.

I'm not keen on the idea of eating raw fish. I like ceviche (I think that's how it's spelled) which is raw fish, but it's cooked really because of all the lime juice.

So what is a sushi that I could start with that is that is good for a beginner that doesn't really like much rice in general or raw fish. I need something very healthy and love in carbs. I'm on a low carb diet (not officially, but I like to keep my carbs less than 50 per day if possible). I like very flavorful things, however, do not like strong fish. I like shrimp, scallops, and white fishes (not too fishy). I like tuna and some salmon as well. I love wasabi and ginger so I know I'm good in that area.

Let me know if you all have any ideas.

Thanks my friends!
    Telli
  • camjam89
    camjam89 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Unagi (BBQ eel) is my favorite. Though I'm also a big fan of the crunch roll my local sushi place does. It's an avocado, cucumber, crab salad and tuna roll with tempura crumble on top covered in eel sauce. Yum!

@Telli: If you're not a fan of raw fish, you may want to try cooked sushi first. Eel, shrimp and clam are always served cooked. You mat also want to try a roll (known as a maki, which has less rice) with some fish you know you like. Most rolls have tuna or salmon, so finding a fish you like shouldn't be too hard. You also may want to try a roll with mild fish (red snapper, halibut, tuna, etc) to get you started instead of going to a more fishy fish like mackerel.

Hope that helps! :)
  • alassin_sane
    alassin_sane Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love sushi. :-D

My favourite is sashimi, either tuna or salmon.

I've started making my own sushi at home, but have only made cooked / vegetarian versions of nigiri and nori rolls.
  • narrington77
    narrington77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love sushi. :-D

My favourite is sashimi, either tuna or salmon.

I've started making my own sushi at home, but have only made cooked / vegetarian versions of nigiri and nori rolls.

same here on the favorites.. but i make the raw stuff at home too.. its awesome.
  • FormerSuperHero
    FormerSuperHero Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Love it, really must have it for dinner today
  • aussiegirl1990
    aussiegirl1990 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I often make sushi to take to uni, love love love the stuff!

I love:
    Kakiage Nigiri
    Ika Tempura (squid)
    Mini Ebi Fry (Prawn)
    Mini Ebi Tempura (prawn)
    Teriyaki Chicken
    Karaage Rolls
    California Rolls
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Love Sushi! Haven't met a roll I didn't like:O) Also addicted to the Seaweed Salad and Miso soup. When I go out, instead of ordering several different rolls and stuffing myself, I pick 1 roll and my partner picks out a different roll and we split them. I start with a seaweed salad and soup. It works out really well.
  • Micksgurl
    Micksgurl Posts: 84
    Options
    Having Sushi tonight!!! I cant pick just one favorite, it is allllllll sooooooooooooooo good!!!