Stronglifts 5x5 Summary

Options

Replies

• c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I wish I had thought to do a search on MFP for women and StrongLifts before I tortured myself with over 200 pages of testosterone! Thanks for putting this together. Now I can refer back to this, instead of trying to wade thru all that manliness to refresh my memory when I need it.
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed...Thank you so much!
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tameko! I'm a Stronglifts newbie and was dreading reading that PDF!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    That PDF is long BUT in case you haven't noticed, about 75% of it is success stories. I didn't bother with those. I just printed out what I thought was relevant.

That being said, I hear it's a good idea to read Starting Strength even if you are doing Strong Lifts. My book is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'm switching to a different gym that actually has proper lifting equipment. I attempted NROLFW at Planet Fitness. What a joke! NO squat rack, heaviest barbell was fixed at 60 pounds. 4 stupid Smith machines and they were always full and countless other isolating machines and cardio equipment. I guess that's the difference between a 'gym' and a 'fitness center'. I am very excited to be joining the grungy old 'gym' near my workplace next week.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I read the whole 200-and-something PDF! I got very insecure that I- as a woman- could do this. I´m a weakling and I know it. But you ladies rock!! I´m hopefully starting this tuesday. It is actually a kind of new idea for me to want to lift, but the more I think about it and read about it, it just feels right. I´m so exited! My Starting Strength book has been ordered, it arrives sometimes next week, I guess. I´m looking forward to read it.

I have signed up for his (Medhi) youtube channel, both A+B is there in it´s full length, but you probably allready know that.

Thank you so much for doing this! It is so important for me to know that other women can do this. It makes me feel like I can do it too. I know that I´m going to "dance" a lot with the trainers. I found out that a friend of mine goes to our gym and lifts, but it´s a completely different way they have shown her to do it. But I´m determined to do it the Stronglifts way. :smile:

Again, thank you very much.:heart: And if anyone is just as new to this, I´m open for getting a lifting buddy to challenge. :wink:
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Thanks you so much for this....I agree with this and the Videos has helped me understand this program before taking it on.. 2 weeks is the goal to start on this after Jamie Eason last week of LiveFit.. Really appreciate this..
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. xx
  • Jille0
    Jille0 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    bump
    I finished NROL4W a while ago. I'm looking to move on and continue going heavy. I had a LOT of success with New Rules, but the man himself said it's not designed to get into a power lifting kind of category, though it will build plenty of strength. My goal is an over 200lb DL...eventually lol I said I want to be able t pick up a grown man and throw him, should the need ever arise lol
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the great thread with summary, ideas, tips, list of equipment, etc. Everything I need to get started!

I have never done any strength training and yet I want to get a power rack and try this at home. Am I foolish? Do I need to work with a trainer first? Can I have correct form at home? Do I need to mount a mirror on the wall by my power rack at home so that I can see if I am doing the form correctly?

Thanks, and I am SUPER excited to get going on this! Now I just need to convince my husband to squish the home theater half of the basement to make room for a power rack...
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. I've asked my trainer if we can start working on this and he's agreed. It'll be beneficial to me to read up on it beforehand so I don't look like a total idiot.
  • kendallsauntie
    kendallsauntie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump so I can find later.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I want to hug this summary. I love it.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    great summary! thanks so much!
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    How do you know your max lifting weight. It said something about lifting at 50% of you max but i am not sure how to know that. Sorry if this sounds kind of dumb.. :ohwell:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    If you don't know your max lifting weight, just use the empty bar, etc. that Tameko explained in the post. I started with even less than that.
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Ok will do.. I am going to give this a try tonight. Hope i succeed. I am easily overwhelmed when reading things thinking I am going to do it all wrong. Until I do it and then realize it wasn't as complicated as it looked.
  • egarrett8911
    Options
    Bumping to read again later!