Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Has anyone tried to make low carb ice cream?

I've been thinking about it, and all of the major ingredients in good, high quality ice cream like Edy's, with the exception of sugar are low in carbs. I own an ice cream maker, so I may experiment with it and let you know, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it already...

Replies

• CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    I saw the recipe for varying types in the recipe section of MFP a week ago. I'm dying to try it, sadly I'd have to splurge and get an ice cream maker. To many I've looked at had a multitude f crappy reviews though.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    I saw the recipe for varying types in the recipe section of MFP a week ago. I'm dying to try it, sadly I'd have to splurge and get an ice cream maker. To many I've looked at had a multitude f crappy reviews though.

The only splurge you would have to do is a couple of baggies. Now the issue is finding a recipe. Hmmm. I'm on a quest now.

http://2littlehooligans.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-to-make-homemade-ice-cream-in.html
  • bsgkid
    bsgkid Posts: 72 Member
    You can buy Breyer's CarbSmart ice cream in vanilla or chocolate if you don't want the hassle of making it at home. I would LOVE to find a recipe that uses Stevia instead of Splenda. So let me know if you have one!! :love:
  • Linda860
    Linda860 Posts: 29 Member
    We make ice cream on a regular basis. We've found that sugar alcohols like xylitol and erythritol work the best as they don't have an aftertaste. There are a lot of recipes on the internet for low carb ice cream. They call for various sweeteners but you can substitute the sweetener of your choice as long as you can figure out the right conversion (a challenge sometimes).
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    I've been thinking about it, and all of the major ingredients in good, high quality ice cream like Edy's, with the exception of sugar are low in carbs. I own an ice cream maker, so I may experiment with it and let you know, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it already...

For a once-in-a-great-while treat, I use Designer Whey French Vanilla protein powder, Silk Light Vanilla Soy Milk, ice cubes and add freshly frozen berries (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, black raspberry ONLY!) and make a Wildberry ice-cream. It gets stored in the freezer and I just grab out a portion. Low in carbohydrates and its really good. But again, its a once in a great while. Protein powders no matter how good, they are still a processed food so I limit it to no more than twice per week.

Ive done a Pumpkin Pie icecream with the DW, the soy milk, added some freshly ground spices and fresh pumpkin... OHHHHH BABY it came out good!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,490 Member
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,728 Member

For a once-in-a-great-while treat, I use Designer Whey French Vanilla protein powder, Silk Light Vanilla Soy Milk, ice cubes and add freshly frozen berries (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, black raspberry ONLY!) and make a Wildberry ice-cream. It gets stored in the freezer and I just grab out a portion. Low in carbohydrates and its really good. But again, its a once in a great while. Protein powders no matter how good, they are still a processed food so I limit it to no more than twice per week.

Ive done a Pumpkin Pie icecream with the DW, the soy milk, added some freshly ground spices and fresh pumpkin... OHHHHH BABY it came out good!

I do something like this^^. I put 1 scoop of optimum nutrition 100% whey protein powder (chocolate) and 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk into a baggy. I put the baggy into a tupper ware container filled with ice and salt. Then I shake for 5-10 minutes. I can eat it right out of the bag or put it in the freezer. The shaking gives a little workout and there are only 4-5 carbs.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Nope but i will try..thats for the recipes ladies!
  • PJoy6
    PJoy6 Posts: 38 Member
    Try this: Frozen Greek Yogurt.

Greek Yogurt - Full Fat!!!
    Choice of Berry: Blueberry, Strawberry, Blackberry.
    Splenda.

Put in small container & freeze. It will be very hard when frozen, but if you let it thaw a bit & then stir up.
    It really is fabulous, even better than ice cream.
  • suzzee2000
    suzzee2000 Posts: 85 Member
    Glad I saw this because I was ready to post this link! It looks so YUMMMMMMMY!