books that help overcome binge eating?

liveyourlifex
liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
I've started binge eating since october... I've had constant battles with myself on bingeing then starving, then dieting, then eating healthy, etc. right now, I'm seeing a therapist once a week. she isn't specialized in eating disorders but she does help me a lot. i know there are many books out there to help over come binge eating, but which ones are good? I heard good reviews about - Overcoming Binge Eating by Christopher G. Fairburn - and was thinking of buying this book. are there any others you would recommend?

Replies

• Sejanus203
    Sejanus203 Posts: 9 Member
    I stumbled into this free online book-- http://www.foodsanity.com/online.php
    It is a really great read, and helped me put a lot of my issues into perspective. I really, really recommend it!
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    thank you so much! ill check it out
  • pinksrh
    pinksrh Posts: 2
    Food: the good girls drug has really helped me. Geneen Roth also has some good ones.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Geneen Roth also has some good ones.

I agree! "When Food Is Love" is a really good one.
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    I love Geneen Roth's books. I will have to check out that free one though! Thank you!!
  • CamDizzle8
    CamDizzle8 Posts: 58 Member
    I stumbled into this free online book-- http://www.foodsanity.com/online.php
    It is a really great read, and helped me put a lot of my issues into perspective. I really, really recommend it!
    OMG ! I have only read the first few pages and this book really hits home! I hope I can learn from it.
  • arielaliza
    arielaliza Posts: 20 Member
    For me, Skinny Thinking has been a huge hit.... It takes a very practical approach to loosing the overly-glamorized romantic relationship to food. It is a little bit more light hearted- I am reading it along with "Overcoming Binge Eating" but for me, the way this author puts things makes me get it..... simple-clear-practical... :) Good luck!!
  • sconns21
    sconns21 Posts: 92 Member
    I totally agree with the last poster "overcoming binge eating" by Chris Fairburn is excellent. I have just read it and have been following the advice for two weeks, so far no binges but it will take some time and I will probably binge at some point.

I got it from the library (stocked in most in the UK as recommended by the NHS). You can pick it up on Amazon for about £5.

Couldn't recommend it enough.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Skinny Thinking
    Overeaters Anonymous Meditation book
  • somegirllll
    somegirllll Posts: 3 Member
    I've read the Fairburn book and didn't find it helped me stop/reduce binging. The facts and statistics are interesting though.
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 274 Member
    Shrink Yourself by Gould was really helpful for me
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    ...just wanted to say "Thanks" for all the book recommendations, everyone. :)