Trouble with conflicting daily cals

geckofli
geckofli Posts: 155 Member
So mfp says I should have 1580 cals per day plus exercise cals
New rules say I should be having on
Non workout days 2257 cals
Active workout days 2558 cals
Strenuous work & workout days 2859 cals

I am still obese and no where near goal and im not sure who to follow here.
Been doing the mfp cals for a while now with very slow progress.
I'm not sure if I should try the extra cals per a day, I just got back from a holiday that saw me put on 4kg over 7 days

I'm loving the lifting and it feels great getting stronger but I want to loose the fat as well as make the muscle if that makes any sence and there's so much broscience around the I get unsure of where I'm at and what I need to do

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    i'm obese too (but soon wont be able to say that anymore :happy: )

i've done nr once before and the first time i started it (2 years ago) i was obese. i followed the eating plan and although i slimmed down a little i was still obese at the end

MFP calories are way too low. dont even use those
    whats been working for me is eating at the maintenance level of my goal weight (about 1850 calories) which ends up being about 500 calories less than my current maintenance and 600 more than what MFP was telling me to eat.

i'm not 100% religious with that either. some days i go under some days i go under. it depends on my hunger level. but i i'm losing an average of 1-2 pounds a week, almost all of which is fat.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 784 Member
    I uped my calories from what MFP had for me and I finally stared losing. I hope that it continue to go that way.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 784 Member
    I upped my calories from what MFP had for me and I finally stared losing. I hope that it continue to go that way.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    I am almost to my goal weight but I upped my calories to maintenance too (1860). I am no longer even tracking my exercise, unless I run a 5K/10K. Not sure if I have lost anything yet though, I am trying to stay off the scale until the end of stage 1.

I would follow the book for at least a month and reassess if necessary.
  • SweetPea482
    SweetPea482 Posts: 155 Member
    So mfp says I should have 1580 cals per day plus exercise cals
    New rules say I should be having on
    Non workout days 2257 cals
    Active workout days 2558 cals
    Strenuous work & workout days 2859 cals

I am still obese and no where near goal and im not sure who to follow here.
    Been doing the mfp cals for a while now with very slow progress.
    I'm not sure if I should try the extra cals per a day, I just got back from a holiday that saw me put on 4kg over 7 days

I'm loving the lifting and it feels great getting stronger but I want to loose the fat as well as make the muscle if that makes any sence and there's so much broscience around the I get unsure of where I'm at and what I need to do

I feel the same way. Not entirely sure what to do. Im on week 2 of the Stage one, so I am just playing it all out to see what happens in this stage. Cleaned up my eating, upped my protein... so we will see. I have a hard time believing in the 28xx cals the book tells me to eat too. But i can't get in the required protien on the 1460 mfp is allowing me.

stupid numbers game.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    MFP cals are way too low! Start somewhere - if you are not totally comfortable with the 2558 and 2859, start with the cals they recommend for non workout days, stay with it for couple of weeks. If it doesn't work go down a bit next couple weeks. You just have to try what works for you and adjust. Don't stress too much about it -stress is not good either.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    MFP has my calories way to low. It say that my maintenance is 1450 calories and it is no where near that!!!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    it's a long term program, you have time to mess with it. You'll find yourself very hungry all the time, but that's because your body will need it! You can't do a big workout day on 1400 cals, you won't be able to build the muscle. Whatever number you choose to go with, reassess after 4 weeks. If you're slowly losing and feel good, great. If you're losing weight but have no energy, you need to increase cals. If you're gaining weight, reduce cals. It will take a few weeks of experimentation tho!

EDIT to add that although i'm in maintenance, i've found NR much more accurate than MFP numbers.