protein powder recommendations?

Options
annamerrick
annamerrick Posts: 78 Member
Hi! I am reading the NROLFW and plan to start heavy lifting soon, but I was wondering what kind of protein powder / shake everyone recommends for post-lifting? I don't want to spend a ton of money and obviously would prefer something that tastes good. And, I am a BIG fan of chocolate....... :)

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Cheapest I've found is Body Fortress at Walmart- it's fifteen dollars a bottle. It's not the most tasty but I make my shakes with coconut milk (not the canned kind) and peanut butter and a banana if I'm feelin' frisky lol

You'll want a stick blender or blender but hey- with the really tasty ones being 60 bucks- I'll take it! :D
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Optimum is what I am using now, but in the future I plan to buy IsoFUEL. http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/isofuel.html

There is a sale going on right now.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I am a big "natural" gal, so anything with artificial sweetners or ingredients I can't pronounce I stay away from.

Jillian Micheals Whey is the cheapest natural and most convenient to purchase one I know of. It is in Walmarts and Targets everywhere here in Fl.

But my fav is way more expensive because it is made from Organic cows and loaded w/ chia and other great stuff...Dr. Mercola Pure Power Protein...just yummy!
  • lvondy
    lvondy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Jillian Michaels yesterday for about $13 at Kroger. I go for the all natural stuff. If I am going to work hard on the outside of my body, I only want to put good stuff on the inside. =)

I do want to try the Dr. Mercola when my budget can allow it.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I just bought the Jillian Michaels yesterday for about $13 at Kroger. I go for the all natural stuff. If I am going to work hard on the outside of my body, I only want to put good stuff on the inside. =)

Awesome...wow it is pricey at Kroger! It is $9.98 at walmart and target, but so glad you found it...I had that for breakfast this morning, two scoops with a banana and chia seeds...yummy! A whopping 34gr of protein!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'll have to look for the Jillian MIchael's powder at Target. Which section do you usually find it in? The health area or in the food area?

I have the Trader Joe's Whey Protein (vanilla flavored) and it's pretty good, all natural too.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I, too, use Body Fortress from Walmart. Cheap! :glasses: I'm frugal! I don't really like the chocolate, but the vanilla is pretty good and who's to say you can't mix it with some sugar-free chocolate syrup or even some lite hot chocolate mix? I'm working on eating cleanER, but I still have some vice sugar-free and lite items I keep in stock. :drinker:
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I'll have to look for the Jillian MIchael's powder at Target. Which section do you usually find it in? The health area or in the food area?

I have the Trader Joe's Whey Protein (vanilla flavored) and it's pretty good, all natural too.

It is over by the vitamins and protein bars...the zillion Luna bars they carry.
  • annamerrick
    annamerrick Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I'm almost through the book and can't wait to get started!
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I use NOW sports "natural" whey protein isolate - no flavor, no artificial or natural sweetener, just pure protein. I love it. I paid $9.70/lb but I had to buy a 10lb bag for that price.
  • marko1970
    Options

Awesome...wow it is pricey at Kroger! It is $9.98 at walmart and target, but so glad you found it...I had that for breakfast this morning, two scoops with a banana and chia seeds...yummy! A whopping 34gr of protein!

Love chia seeds!!!! Def going to add that to my smoothies....thanks for the tip.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Cheapest I've found is Body Fortress at Walmart- it's fifteen dollars a bottle. It's not the most tasty but I make my shakes with coconut milk (not the canned kind) and peanut butter and a banana if I'm feelin' frisky lol

You'll want a stick blender or blender but hey- with the really tasty ones being 60 bucks- I'll take it! :D

i use this same stuff, and if you aren't afraid to get a little creative with additions it can be pretty tasty. :)
  • radiva1
    radiva1 Posts: 27
    Options
    I use GNC Amplify in vanilla;