I'm feeling so frustrated

Options
5ladybugs
5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
I started this journey the last week of January. I dropped 10 lbs the first month, I had gained them in the few weeks before that, water weight? Not sure. I've only lost 10 lbs since then. I know it's still a lose but this isn't normal for me. A couple years ago, I got good at this journey and lost 30 lbs in 2 months, a good way. I don't understand what is so slow this time. I've always lost faster.
I was eating 1600, then 1750, always eating my exercise cals back. Now I'm eating by my TDEE and bmr, 2535 and 1641. I eat 2150 everyday, never exercise cals back. Have never fallen below BMR. I know people say not to weigh every day but its my motivation. When I haven't my weight creeps on. The frustrating thing is the 2 steps forward and 2 back thing. I'll lose a pound, gain 1.5, lose .5, gain 1, etc. I'm barely at 1/2 pound a week, sometimes not. I don't want to hear I should be happy with that please, I'd like to be a 1lb a week average. I'm running every 2nd day. I tried weights and hate it. I was doing shred or meltdown yoga but am just running right now. I'm confused on what to add to the running. Everyone says weights, but I seriously really hate them.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I hear how frustrated you are- I can definitely relate! First month I lose ten pounds and have lost one pound in a month. I've lost 12 inches in that same time. I've learned (learning) to rely on the tape measure rather than my scale. Lifting weights is something I adore- so I can't relate to hating it- but I do hate certain styles of lifting weights. Just going on forever with reps at the same weight, not really hard to do just doing it forever and ever... blech!!!

I'm doing a 5x5 right now that I think you would hate as well :D What I would look at for you would be kettlebell workouts- it combines cardio and weights in movements that mimic more closely cardio but you get the benefits of lifting weights. It's really fun and I don't have to have tons of different weights lying about. Maybe something to try if you haven't?

I won't blow sunshine up your skirt- how you feel is valid and we all have days of frustration. I have to remind myself daily that if how I lost weight before worked then I wouldn't be doing it again- it would have just stayed gone. Hope you can find your happy place soon and relax into it.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are feeling frustrated, I know we all go through bouts of it...myself included for sure. I was annoyed this morning and had to remind myself that this is a life long journey, that each .4lb down, or .2lb down is getting that much closer to my goal and using a method that is gratifying my belly as well.

Gemi gave a great suggestion. I am huge into weights because that is what transforms the body. I used to run years ago and as I have gotten older with less time, I need to do what requires the least amount of time to get the look I want to achieve. So, I have given up many of the zumba classes that were my heart and am down to one time per week and just started the Cathe STS program, but prior to that I did 3 days at the gym for about and hour of heavy lifting after a 10 min cardio warm up. I am leaner than I have ever been, so I can't stress to you, if you want to burn the fat, along with your cardio you should try to find some type of lifting you can get into...I too loathe body pump which is boringly repetitive, but have fallen in love with heavy lifting because I didn't think I could ever lift in that way ever. To have big plates on and have people look at me like...hmmm she isn't going to lift that...just tickles me...lol.

Anyway, I will tell you, it is so much better to lose the weight slower rather than dropping quick. Better to fuel your body then to starve it to where you want to be only to go through the process time and time again...

Be encouraged..and I will tell you, there are some women on here (including myself) that would LOVE to have a .5lb drop consistently weekly...ok not smoke...just sayin'
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Hello!! :) I'm new to the "Eat More, Weigh Less" mindset, but I am loving every second of it. I've stayed away from the scale for the last week and know this weekend when I finally face it, there will be a gain. I can feel the water.

I know you said you hate strength training, but it seems like you love cardio! The two beautiful ladies above me have declared their hatred for BodyPump, BUT, I looooooooove it! I am a lover of strength training and cardio, almost equally. I've found that BodyPump incorporates strength training, cardio and a set of choreographed moves that are easy to follow. The class is over quicker than you'd think, you hit all the major muscles and it really, really makes a difference in your body. I would highly suggest trying it.

Other than that, I'd also suggest staying away from the scale. I know - it's hard. Trust me. I've wanted to step on it every day this week!! I'm not the best at using a tape measure on myself, so I'm using my clothes as my 'scale'. I can tell you, even though I do feel a little bloated and my fingers are kinda like sausages (mmm, sausage!), my pants fit better than ever this morning ... straight out of the dryer, I might add. :wink: So, be patient, post here often and for the love of all that's strength training ... check out a BodyPump class. :flowerforyou: If you hate it, too, you never have to do it again!
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are frustrated. Not much to add, other than I've been there......and I'm still there. 3 months of losing and regaining the same pounds. It makes you want to pull your hair out! I Just started eating more and I'm hopeful for changes.

Did you mention how long you've been at the new eating more level?

As for weights, maybe ease in? For example, Gilad is on FitTV and he uses hand weights while doing Plyometrics & cardio bursts. He's kind of corny, but it's a nice workout :flowerforyou:
  • 5ladybugs
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the wonderful support. I've heard of kettle ball but have no idea what it is. Google time :)
    I don't have a gym to go to, very small town. Plus it's extra time, money etc if we did. I have weights here but not many and not heavy. I have no idea what body pump is but I'm assuming a class at a gym?
    Would Jillian michaels shred or meltdown yoga help? My body used to be nice and sore after them.
  • 5ladybugs
    Options
    Ok just stepped on scale (shh) and I'm 189.8, haven't been below 190's for years! I'm excited but not, after I finally get a good number, I usually gain a lb or 2 and then it takes a week to get down again.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Ooh- you gotta try the kettlebell! lol I'm impressed with it because it was so different and I didn't need a bunch of different weights. it also WHOOPED me- big time!
    Here's the workout I do- free youtube video :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDMOIlPLFE

congrats on your loss!
  • 5ladybugs
    Options
    Ok what weight would I get?
  • photogmama
    photogmama Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to lose anything in three years...just keeps creeping up. Have lost 6-10 (fluctuates) from the beginning of the year...now have been doing fit bit/mfp together for about five weeks and nothing is coming off. I even upped my exercise with weights routine to 5 x a week.
    Now I am going to try to eat more...1600-1800 and see what happens. It's so hard.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Ok what weight would I get?

I'm starting with five pounds and I can feel it. I'm also doing other weight lifting so would go higher if it was my only weight lifting. You want something heavy enough that you feel it but not so heavy that you would break form. Try to pick it up with one hand- get something that is difficult but not so much so that your balance is thrown off... if that makes sense. Just keep the receipt lol
  • gemiwing
    Options
    I haven't been able to lose anything in three years...just keeps creeping up. Have lost 6-10 (fluctuates) from the beginning of the year...now have been doing fit bit/mfp together for about five weeks and nothing is coming off. I even upped my exercise with weights routine to 5 x a week.
    Now I am going to try to eat more...1600-1800 and see what happens. It's so hard.

Whew- you've gotta be exhausted! I would take some days off there and give your body a rest. Up your cals but rest days are so important physically and mentally. Don't give up! I use a fitbit too but find the cals from it and mfp aren't enough- had to go higher.
  • aotto87
    aotto87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ooh- you gotta try the kettlebell! lol I'm impressed with it because it was so different and I didn't need a bunch of different weights. it also WHOOPED me- big time!
    Here's the workout I do- free youtube video :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDMOIlPLFE

congrats on your loss!

Did is video tonight and loved it! Thanks for the link!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I would also add that you do body measurements. If you see changes there maybe that will help you not be as upset with the scale. :) Also, there are lots of "strengthening" exercises that don't really involve lifting weights. The kettle bells sound good and I plan to try that, but I started with a free online program from Women's Health called Belly Off. It's 8 weeks of 3 days a week. You use mostly your body weight and some green weights, exercise ball. Now I'm doing a primal workout using only body weight. Here's the link to the Belly off program if you're interested.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/belly-off-club-workout
  • gemiwing
    Options

that's great! It's a real workout too isn't it?! I was surprised how worn out I was from it!
  • aotto87
    aotto87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

that's great! It's a real workout too isn't it?! I was surprised how worn out I was from it!

Yes! I am pretty darrn sore today! Mostly my legs from all the squatting! Love that soreness from a good burn!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Building muscle would help you so much! I can understand hating weights, I feel the same way about cardio. On YouTube is Cycle One of the 30 Day Shred. It's free and 25 minutes so you can give it a try to see if the system is something you'd like. If you could give something like that a spin for 5 days I really think you would feel a tremendous difference in your body. Keep in mind, cardio can help boost your metabolism for 3 hours, strength training can give you 16. That's a great reason to give it a try!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are feeling frustrated!

The only thing I can offer at this point is that I feel your frustration.

I have been eating more and lifting heavy with 1-2 days of cardio for almost 4 weeks now...I'm "up" 4.5 lbs!

I'm going to keep on keeping on and see what happens.

You are not alone!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I know it's slow going. I upped my calories to 1765 per day and I'm still losing and gaining the same 1.5 pounds as I was eating 1400. I'm gonna hang in there though, I feel great and can't wait to see what happens! I just keep telling myself I'm building fat burning muscle, that keeps me going!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I know it's slow going. I upped my calories to 1765 per day and I'm still losing and gaining the same 1.5 pounds as I was eating 1400.

THAT'S what motivated me to keep going. When I realized that I could eat 200, 400, even 500 cals more and still go through that fluctuation process that I'd gone through at super low cals, it *confirmed* for me that there was never a need to drop my cals that low again. I decided that even if eating more didn't "work" as in the *lbs flying off*, it did need to be a permanent part of my life. I mean if the "amount" of cals weren't the answer, and something more needed to be tweaked to get results, it felt good knowing that I didn't need to starve myself while I figured out what those tweaks were. Because honestly, not that I WANT to keep gaining/losing the same 2 lbs, but I'd darn sure rather be gaining and losing them at 2000 cals vs 1200. :drinker:

But that's just me, lol... :tongue:

Kiki