Curious about Lifting Weights

Options
jam3114
jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
Hi all, I don't consider myself to be someone who lifts weights - I do take part in a class 2 times a week for an hour. The class incorporates weights and the max I use is 3.5kg but mostly 2kg. Its alot of reps taking in both upper & lower body followed by abs & some yoga.

I remember from when I was part of our local gym that I had a program for free weights & also used the gym equipment for other exercises. I can't afford a gym right now so only have free weights and exercise ball at home. Hubbie has heavier weights up to 12.5kg (I think).

I'm curious to know if for those that are lifting weights are you part of a gym routine, do you use your own weights at home?
What program are you using? How heavy are you lifting?

Sorry for all the questions !!!

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I am sure some at home people will jump in...I am a gym rat and live in the free weights room...

Heavy, is what is heavy for you...you build over time. In the book New rules of lifting for women, you start where you can comfortably and then add weight each session.

So heavy for me will be different then heavy for you. It is relative.

I know there are some other threads on here with at home ideas for sure...take a peep.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Yep- heavy is relative :D

I workout at home and use the Stronglifts 5x5 system because Momma wants some power! :D

I worked up from doing air movements to using an empty dumbell to empty barbell and now do weights- real ones! I'm recovering from some brain damage so had to build up my CNS so trust me when I say that 'heavy for you' is really what is meant. I broke a sweat and built muscle from doing air movements!

I can now front squat my bodyweight, low back squat almost my body weight for 25 reps, bent row I can do 40lbs, chest press is up to 40lbs and DL's are 5lbs :D Now- calf raises those I can strut about lol I can do up to 200+lbs easy.

Truly- if it's heavy for you you get 8-10 reps and you're spent. Even if that weight is a pair of scissors- it's all relative! :D