TMI---Digestion

Options
lalfaro01
lalfaro01 Posts: 60 Member
Does anyone know the best way to be regular? I'm being pretty bad (last weekend my last bathroom trip was Thursday morning and I didn't go again until Monday morning D:) This week has been a bit more regular but not satisfactory. I'm trying to up my fiber and drink lots of water but it's not helping.

Any tips for me?

Replies

• cookieta76
    cookieta76 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have always had a pretty slow digestive system. I almost eat no bread and keep pastas to a minimum - or anything heavy. Even though fiber is good, sometimes it "bulks" me up too much! Haha - TMI is right! :smile:

Also, for me, the more veggies the better! And when I have my rest or cheat days, a few cocktails alwayse seems to get things moving again. But again, that's only once a week!

Hope this helps!

PS - And exercise, obviously, but we know we're already doing that!
  • roander
    roander Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking lots of water?
  • lalfaro01
    Options
    Thank you!! I eat a lot of lettuce for lunch but other than that my veggie intake is minimal. Maybe fruits would help too.

Roander, I'm averaging like 4 liters of water or more a day!!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Okay, this may sound wierd but I swear it works (for me, anyway). Upon waking up in the morning, before you do anything, drink a cup of warm water with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Half a lemon is good. And then wait about 30 minutes to eat breakfast. It helps get your digestive enzymes flowing and helps clear out your system.

If that fails, drink some warm apple juice. It always works my oldest son!!
  • jupityjupe
    jupityjupe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i don't know how healthy this is but i drink black coffee on my way to work every day and you can bet i hope the bathroom is free when i get there ;) works like a charm
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ok... i've always been irregular with my bathroom trips. my husband thinks it's a problem, but this is how i've always been. i usually only go every few days, maybe every other day, hardly ever once a day... but since joining mfp and calculating my fiber intake, i've had much much much more regular bathroom trips. the recommended daily intake for fiber (for me at 1800 calories) is 24 grams. i get seriously at least 5-15 grams over every day and i have NO problem with constipation like i used to... i also drink 8-16 glasses of water a day. try to up your fiber to at least 25 grams a day and see what happens....
  • jens_mission
    jens_mission Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Maybe try incorporating Chia seeds or Flax seed in with your food. I spinkle Chia seeds on all my meals. They have lots of health benefits. A friend of mine recommended it to help lower my cholesterol, which it has many health benefits....the bowels too!
  • lalfaro01
    Options
    I have started using lots of flax seeds and I've certainly seen improvement! Once a day, now on most days. yay!