Exercising when sick

Options
tantalee
tantalee Posts: 130 Member
Im having doubts about exercising while with a cold.
What is your advises?

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I just took a week off from working out because of this cold. lol UGH!

I think only you will really know what to do- caveat being that if you have a fever for all that is holy- REST! If you are too weak to hold proper form- REST. If the workout will be so weak as to be ineffectual then skip it and rest. If you cannot breathe (phlegmy cough z.b.) then rest or take it easy.

If you're using a mild cold as an excuse to explain what you've already chosen to do (skip a workout for example) then workout. Only if none of the above are met :D

This is how I *personally* do it. I don't fear rest days because our deficit comes from calorie intake not from exercise. A big benefit to eating more to weigh less is that one week of eating near maintenance won't hurt us like it did when we were eating too little. Our metabolisms are higher now and easier to rebound with.
  • tantalee
    tantalee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    im really sick sick. i even have to prepare hubby birthday party and im dragging my self to one place to the other.
    What really upsets me is my throat and my obstructed nose :(
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    When sick, you shouldn't exercise...you should rest your body...it needs to heal and exercising takes away from that process and prolongs the whole thing.

The only time I will workout when not feeling the best is through an allergy attack...which I haven't had in years, but when I am sick with a flu or something like that...oh no, I SLEEP! Sleeping is where healing takes place...
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a cold this week but I had a stomach virus and I worked out everyday but one. I had the strength to do it so I did, but if you don't have the strength then don't. Also you can overdo it if you're sick and end up worse or taking longer to get well. Just use wisdom.
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    If I am sick enough to stay home from work then I am too sick to work out!! I have worked out with a head cold, but not with a stomach virus, headache or the flu. Normally if I have no appetite I may not want to burn calories. That will make me feel weaker.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've been sick all week with a cold. Worked out 2x this week (spinning and a weight day) and now I'm sicker than last weekend and have a sinus infection. I probably should have just stayed out of the gym for a week. So stubborn. Ahh...well. I agree with previous posters: If you don't have the energy or strength SLEEP IT OFF. Drink water. Recuperate.

Off to pick up my amoxicillin from the pharm. blah.