my calories

Options
I learned I was undereating in my calories so a friend of mine told me what my calories should be for my goal weight so I set my calories to 1,532. i have been eating more fruits, veggies and treating meat more like a condiment than a dish. drinking the water. I exersize 5 days a week sometimes 6 days. this afternoon I plan to exersize as soon as my stepdad fixes the wii so I can do my cardio work out.

Replies

• lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    What are your protein/carb/fat ratios? You mentioned upping your fruits and veggies and reducing your meat, but you do want to make sure you are getting enough protein! I think a lot of us here do 30% protein, 40% carb, 30% fat. You can customize your macronutrient goals in the my fitness pal goal page if you don't use the "automatic setting". If you are worried about too much fat from the meats, but still need more protein, try nuts, soy, rice, beans, greens, whole grains, cheeses, yogurts, whey protein powders, etc.

Great job on the exercise!

By the way, I'm an Arkansan too. :)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I learned I was undereating in my calories so a friend of mine told me what my calories should be for my goal weight so I set my calories to 1,532. i have been eating more fruits, veggies and treating meat more like a condiment than a dish. drinking the water. I exersize 5 days a week sometimes 6 days. this afternoon I plan to exersize as soon as my stepdad fixes the wii so I can do my cardio work out.

Hey there, did you take a moment to calculate your TDEE? That number of 1532 sounds mighty low. Please take a moment to read the topic on tdee, what to expect when upping your cals, and what next...

Also, protein is key, you should try to get in 1gr per lb of bodyweight...
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Hey there, did you take a moment to calculate your TDEE? That number of 1532 sounds mighty low. Please take a moment to read the topic on tdee, what to expect when upping your cals, and what next...

I calculated her numbers for her on fitnessfrog & fat 2 fit radio based on the stats she gave me (age, current wt. goal wt. height, activity level) Her BMR on the Katch-McCardle was 1352, on the Harris-Benedict formula it is 1665. I was told to use the Katch-McCadle because it is more accurate :ohwell: Her TDEE was 2282 (fitness frog calculator, based on light activity level). Here is what the fat 2 fit radio says regarding caloric level:

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1649
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1889
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2130
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2370
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2611

I suggested she never eat below her BMR of 1352( net) (Katch-McCArdle formula) and that she could eat 1649 calories a day being sedentary and still lose weight. I am also new to this "eat more to weigh lesst" idea and am still learning myself. If you have another formula or way to calculate the calories I would love your input! I also agree on the 40% carbs, & 30% fat and protein.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

I calculated her numbers for her on fitnessfrog & fat 2 fit radio based on the stats she gave me (age, current wt. goal wt. height, activity level) Her BMR on the Katch-McCardle was 1352, on the Harris-Benedict formula it is 1665. I was told to use the Katch-McCadle because it is more accurate :ohwell: Her TDEE was 2282 (fitness frog calculator, based on light activity level). Here is what the fat 2 fit radio says regarding caloric level:

Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2611

I suggested she never eat below her BMR of 1352( net) (Katch-McCArdle formula) and that she could eat 1649 calories a day being sedentary and still lose weight. I am also new to this "eat more to weigh lesst" idea and am still learning myself. If you have another formula or way to calculate the calories I would love your input! I also agree on the 40% carbs, & 30% fat and protein.

Oh, she doesn't exercise at all? If there is any exercise during the week, then the moderate activity level should be used.
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Oh, she doesn't exercise at all? If there is any exercise during the week, then the moderate activity level should be used.

Her original post says she does exercise 5-6 times per week so that TDEE cut value is probably too low still.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Her original post says she does exercise 5-6 times per week so that TDEE cut value is probably too low still.

Oh my, I have been reading so much today, I totally missed that...yes, go with the Moderate activity value and subtract 15% from that...if that number is too high, just start upping cals by 100 every week or so.