Boobs and Bodybuilding

Options
keepitcroosh
keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
Hey everybody! I was just wondering your thoughts on breast augmentation. It is common to see a competitor with BA nowadays, and i have been considering it for a few years. It doesnt have to do with competitions or anything as to why i am considering it, it is more for personal reasons.

I was just wondering, those that do have it, how do you feel about them? Weight training, does it feel weird? I cant even imagine how long it would take to get back into it. Scares me a bit, as i always want to be at the gym! What did you ladies do while it was healing working out-wise? I would just love to hear your opinions and suggestions, i wont be getting them for at least another year, i want to be able to train harder, and get closer to the results im looking for (not to mention be able to save a couple bucks for the surgery in the mean time!).

Replies

• KikiD22
    KikiD22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! I was just wondering your thoughts on breast augmentation. It is common to see a competitor with BA nowadays, and i have been considering it for a few years. It doesnt have to do with competitions or anything as to why i am considering it, it is more for personal reasons.

I was just wondering, those that do have it, how do you feel about them? Weight training, does it feel weird? I cant even imagine how long it would take to get back into it. Scares me a bit, as i always want to be at the gym! What did you ladies do while it was healing working out-wise? I would just love to hear your opinions and suggestions, i wont be getting them for at least another year, i want to be able to train harder, and get closer to the results im looking for (not to mention be able to save a couple bucks for the surgery in the mean time!).

I have a breast augmentation, but I had it done well in advance of any thoughts on competing in figure. Back in 2001/2002, I had lost a lot of weight (90 pounds) and what was left in the chest area wasn't too great. Bras did not fit properly because of all the loose skin I was left with. So, I had a breast lift and under the muscle saline implants. Quite honestly, I don't even notice them now when I lift because I'm so used to having them, so I can't really say how much they affect my lifts. I will say though that I have to have one replaced. I developed scar tissue around one of the implants (capsular contracture). It is not severe enough that it is noticable without touching, but it is still uncomfortable for me. I will most likely replace both implants though with the cohesive gel silicone version.
  • keepitcroosh
    Options
    I have a breast augmentation, but I had it done well in advance of any thoughts on competing in figure. Back in 2001/2002, I had lost a lot of weight (90 pounds) and what was left in the chest area wasn't too great. Bras did not fit properly because of all the loose skin I was left with. So, I had a breast lift and under the muscle saline implants. Quite honestly, I don't even notice them now when I lift because I'm so used to having them, so I can't really say how much they affect my lifts. I will say though that I have to have one replaced. I developed scar tissue around one of the implants (capsular contracture). It is not severe enough that it is noticable without touching, but it is still uncomfortable for me. I will most likely replace both implants though with the cohesive gel silicone version.

Congrats on the 90lbs!! I also lost some weight, 50lbs, so i know what you mean. Im planning on getting a breast lift then implants. Did you do yours all in one shot? Or did you do the lift , wait a couple months, then implants? And regarding the scar tissue, was that due to lifting?
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting and slightly disturbing that the hourglass shape of women's body building 30 years ago has been replaced with the triangle shape of topheaviness.

bodyshape.gif
  • keepitcroosh
    Options
    I find it interesting and slightly disturbing that the hourglass shape of women's body building 30 years ago has been replaced with the triangle shape of topheaviness.

bodyshape.gif

To each his own i guess :)
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    I just wanted to whine that I waaaaant boooooobs. Haha.
  • keepitcroosh
    Options
    I just wanted to whine that I waaaaant boooooobs. Haha.

you and me both. Its like one day mine just disapeared haha. I wish it weren't so expensive.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have implants and it has really helped me feel more comfy in my own body! Dresses fit better and I actually look like a woman in a bathing suit. I have a very straight body, so not much curves period. They helped balance my appearence and despite being a 30-DD, with clothes on I look like a nice normal B/C. Good luck!
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    I was wondering about the down time on implants.

With only 10% bodyfat on my chest, it's my understanding that my only option would be under the pec muscles, then resulting in a one year recovery time, and 6 weeks of pure and utter agony. I can't help but cringe even considering it now, I would just die if I couldn't get my pec and back workouts in!

What's the experiences of you ladies who have had it done?
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about the down time on implants.

With only 10% bodyfat on my chest, it's my understanding that my only option would be under the pec muscles, then resulting in a one year recovery time, and 6 weeks of pure and utter agony. I can't help but cringe even considering it now, I would just die if I couldn't get my pec and back workouts in!

What's the experiences of you ladies who have had it done?

I thought you were very disturbed and against BA?? Earlier you said "I find it interesting and slightly disturbing that the hourglass shape of women's body building 30 years ago has been replaced with the triangle shape of topheaviness. " I find your change of heart interesting...

But to answer, mine are under the muscle and the new cohesive silicone gel. My recovery was: 2 weeks on nothing, 4 weeks at very light 50% activity but nothing that caused bounce or chest work, after 6 weeks I was fully cleared for everything except direct chest.
    I have low BF started very small and since mine are under the muscle and I originally developed some encapsulation, my dr said no direct chest work period. Not everyone is the same though. Many women can do some chest work w/o the implants shifting down and out. Thinner women are more prone to the shifting though. Above the muscle has no restriction re: chest work but with very thin women you can sometimes see rippling of the implant under the skin.

Best advice, do your research and go in for a consult with several drs then make a decision.
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    I find it interesting and slightly disturbing that the hourglass shape of women's body building 30 years ago has been replaced with the triangle shape of top heaviness.

I am disturbed at that trend in competitions, aren't you? I have no change of heart at all about that.
    Top heavy women with spindle legs and under developed buttocks is the trend in competitions now and it wasn't 30 years ago.

I think the natural hourglass shape of equal top to bottom is also unnatural (unless the woman is pregnant), but it is a much prettier shape than lolipop or pear shape! Nothing wrong with a womanly figure.... :)

I am curious about recovery times. The women I've worked with seem to always go get a boob job done then fall out of training due to pain. I've only worked with those who are either no longer competing, or are competiting and prepping after a 2 years ago BA. I am trying to put myself in their shoes. I'm not at all interested in BA. I'm very happy with my body.

edited to add this:
    read this, and check out the backsides on these ladies from 10 years ago. Now, go to a competition today and you will rarely see such dedication and work to get such cut backsides. But almost all winners now adays have fake boobage. :(
    http://www.billdobbins.com/PUBLIC/pages/coolfree/figure-beauty.html
    I don't think that's right. I'm old school fitness and the figure and the bikini competitions should be two different competitions in my opinion.

I respect anyone who works hard and wants to be a better them. Kudos to anyone who goes through BA. I honestly have to say I couldn't survive the pain or the thought of a knive. lol. I'm a wimp when it comes to surgery but I could grind myself down working out... haha. I would rather do 200 burpees.
  • keepitcroosh
    Options
    Alright so ive been considering this for years, and i really think im gonna finally take action! Im excited, nervous and i cant wait to get started. Problem is, where do i start? My guess is seeing a surgeon in my area. For those who have gotten it done, what things should i be looking for? What kind of questions should i be asking? The thing is, i am already at a D cup, can anyone relate???
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    The thing is, i am already at a D cup, can anyone relate???

I wish I could relate! :laugh:
  • keepitcroosh
    Options
    Trust me, going up and down on the scale too much (try about 50 lbs every time!) and too quickly , boobs aint what they used to be! Ive been looking at Before and After photos of breast augmentations and the before pictures, i swear most of the time i think they all have beautiful boobs. Haha.
  • endjl
    endjl Posts: 28
    Options
    I am saddened that so many women in BB end up with BA. I am currently training for my first competition (in bikini) and have no intention of getting BA. I love my body and am working hard to make it the best it can be on a very natural level. I often wonder if not having BA will hurt my chances of doing well in my competition. I was a D cup and am not a B at 13% BF. I am sure the ladies will continue to go down as I lower my BF for competiton, but I am ok with that because "I'd rather be flat than fat". I just can't bare the thought of added something so un-natural into by body like that!

On a side note, my personal trainer, who also competes in bikini (at a national level), recently had BA and was unable to train chest for quite sometime. She is back at it and looks great but I thought she looked great before... Even better actually. I just prefer a natural look.

My suggestion... If you do get BA, go under the muscle. Even though BA is obvious, especially on someone so lean, under the muscle provides a more natural look. Otherwise you may end up looking like two gigantic gum balls got stuck to you.
  • keepitcroosh
    Options
    Endjl i respect so much that you wont change your body just for a competition. I am confident that you will do great & i feel like it wont matter if you had a BA done or not. While i was looking at before and after photos, i realized that the majority of breasts i saw in the before photos were beautiful and i just could not understand as to why they would get implants. I am definitely not doing this for BB, it is strictly for myself. I would definitely get it under the muscle. I probably will stay away from chest exercises a few months prior to surgery because it apparently is much harder for those that workout their chests frequently. It hurts more, as well as takes longer to heal.

I am really excited about it! I originally wanted to do the surgery in October or so and found out i am on a waiting list till November just for the consultation! I was upset about it at first, but was fine waiting longer. When i went to call the office back, i got lucky and was just in time for the secretary to tell me she had a cancellation and could take me September 18th! Now im back on track and so stoked. Wooo! So hopefully by october or november i will do the surgery. The best part is that my fiancee (although disagrees with it) is so supportive. Gotta love him, hes even coming to the consult with me which will put me a bit at ease.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    I've been considering BA for awhile too, and though it's not in the near future for me, I've been trying to do a lot of research on how your training is affected, what type would be best (silicone, saline, the new gel ones), under or over the muscle, how it could benefit me (or not) in comps etc.

The leaner you intend on being the more you should consider under the muscle
    If going heavy on chest is important, or having big bench numbers, think twice, you will have to go lighter on chest, you can move those things around, and this is probably a BIG factor in why some girls have the huge gaps between their boobs
    Also the higher the profile of the implant the more likely they are to look spread out
    Bikini comps it does make a big difference, figure less so, and physique or BB no difference really

I was considering bikini but now I have decided I will definitely be doing figure and maybe even physique one day. I am very small and naturally lean and will only become more so when I compete. It does make me a little sad to think I won't be able to bench heavy without adverse affects, but this surgery isn't for comps, I would have done it even if I never got into fitness. I plan on getting a full B maybe small C under the muscle, silicone implant. The exact size and incision site will be determined later after I have a consultation.

Best of luck on your surgery, I actually know someone who got theirs for a similar reason. She was a natural D but due to weight loss she was left with much less fullness, so she got implants and is very happy with her results!
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    On a side note, I do think it's unfortunate that BA has almost become a requirement for comps, and I don't like the way things have been shifting. I wish the natural federations were ALL natural, it would be a good venue for girls who don't want to get BA.
  • keepitcroosh
    Options
    Yeah i have been researching for years and i figured i better take it to the next level and start booking consultations to see the reality of things. Although there is a lot of information you can find online, i would prefer to hear it from a Plastic Surgeon. I find that some Plastic Surgeons will give the ok for something, while another will be completely against it. Even something as simple as putting ice packs on your boobs while they heal every once in a while. As for silicone & saline, i thought i was going to go with Saline as it seems safer if it ever tears etc. But now i am having second thoughts, silicone doesn't seem as bad as i thought. But again, i see this online but i would like my questions answered professionally.

And YES! I found out that if you have them under the muscle, and workout your chest often (before surgery), the healing process will be hell to endure. I guess the muscle is tighter so there is much more pain and I'm sure it'll take longer to heal.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had a consult with my plastic surgeon last week about BA. My concerns centered around my gym program.

He told me that if the implants are sized correctly and placed correctly, and if i follow my post-op instructions, i can get back to lifting upper body at 6-8 weeks and there will be virtually nothing i can do to shift the implants or damage them, as far as my gym activities.

I'm going with cohesive gel, under the pec, moderate size. Late November surgery date! Bewbies, here i come!
  • keepitcroosh
    Options
    Thats amazing! Have you planned your surrgery date yet? Mine is September 18th, i really cant wait. Im hoping i can do the surgery in November. I think i may be going with the same thing, not 100% sure as of yet, i'll need to hear it from my PS. And thats really good question, ill be sure to ask as well!!!!