I am a unique and precious snowflake....

Options
econut2000
econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
:laugh: Sooooo a question to all my eat more to weigh less buddies. This one is a toughy (I think) but maybe you all won't think so.

I'm F, 32, 5'1", 200lbs. I've calculated my BMR to be between 1550-1650cals and my TDEE (sedentary) -15% is ~1850. No problems with the calcs, no problems understanding the science behind it.

I started (slowly) upping my calories at the end of March - so it's only been 2-3 weeks. I'm currently eating approx BMR (1600 cals). I've gone from 198.2 to 200.2 (definitely not freaking out, just thought it might be useful info to know :tongue: although I've gone up a 1/2 pant size which doesn't thrill me but I'll live)

My issues 1) I LOVE to eat. This is part of the reason I've decided to look further into this "method". I CANNOT see myself living on 1400 cals a day for the rest of my life in order to maintain my weight loss. 2) I am unable to exercise for the most part because of severe health issues. I have neurological lyme (a chronic infection causing brain and CNS damage yada yada) and a mitochondrial disorder. I pretty much am couch bound for about 40% of the time and house bound for another 40% of the time. So I don't get to move much at all. Which leads me to my question: is it possible that the TDEE is too high for me because I think I'm even less than sedentary??? I'm unsure since my body is doing an awful lot of work fighting off this infection but my mitochondria are not doing the "normal" amount of work. So might my BMR be less too since my mitochondria are doing less than someone in a coma essentially???. Although I do not have a severe mitochondrial disorder so this might not even be an issue who the heck knows!

The other complicating factor is that I have a whole host of other issues secondary to the lyme which also interfere with weight loss (Type 2 diabetes, insomnia, sleep apnea, PCOS....). So even if I'm doing the "right" things, the scale....and my measurements may not reflect my work. So I'm struggling to figure out how I will know if I've hit the right spot calorie wise if the feedback isn't always reliable. I don't mind it taking me a long time - I'm realistic in my goals. I haven't decided I'm going to lose 50lbs by June! :laugh: If it takes me a few years to get this weight off so be it, I just don't want to gain it again!!!! I was thinking of just adding and subtracting 50 cals at a time and sticking with it for about a month at a time to see what works best, but once again, if the feedback isn't reliable, I'm not sure I'll know how I'm doing!! :devil:

Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for reading and responding!

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hi :D

I've got some CNS issues as well- it's easiest described as brain damage but it goes beyond that blah blah blah you know the drill lol

I used sedentary when I was a chair-user full time and didn't do dishes, cook, personal care or shop. Once I started doing those things- my TDEE went up a lot faster than I expected. On the TDEE front- I would take a few days and write down every five minutes what you're doing and how long youre doing it for- then use the Calorie Calculator on FitnessFrog's website. This is easier than figuring out a blanket TDEE for folks like us with slightly 'oddball' hours :D

On the BMR/TDEE/Am I too special front- I would see if you can get a BMR/RMR test from your doctor. You truly are a special snowflake here and I would think getting good solid data on how YOU work would be hugely beneficial. This can also be achieved by tweaking your numbers- will take a long long time and could be a non-issue if you get your own personal data figured out by the docs.

You have a great attitude about all of this weight loss stuff- I have no doubt you'll do great :D
  • econut2000
    Options
    Thank you for the advice and the insight gemiwing! We are both unique and precious snowflakes :happy:

I will have to see about that test. Did you do it? Do you know if it's something covered by insurance or if it's one of those fun out-of-pocket deals?? In any case, I will definitely look at that calorie calculator from FitnessFrog though - that would be super useful - and a FREE way to guesstimate my calorie expenditure!!

Good luck on your recovery and weight loss!!
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't have any useful advice, but just wanted to say good for you for not giving up in spite of the special challenges you face! Its an inspiration!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice and the insight gemiwing! We are both unique and precious snowflakes :happy:

I will have to see about that test. Did you do it? Do you know if it's something covered by insurance or if it's one of those fun out-of-pocket deals?? In any case, I will definitely look at that calorie calculator from FitnessFrog though - that would be super useful - and a FREE way to guesstimate my calorie expenditure!!

Good luck on your recovery and weight loss!!

:D Yes- precious flakes of the snow! :D

I didn't get it done because my digestion is slower than normal as in food volume- but my metabolism was tracking normal as were my thyroid and a1c numbers. With your issue being on a more molecular level- it would keep it much easier for you.

I would imagine your doc could wrangle the paperwork to say it's medically necc. for you to lose weight- this will be easier if your BMI is high.
  • econut2000
    Options
    Thanks lillebanon :smile: Glad I can motivate someone :laugh:

Yes, gemiwing my BMI is VERY high, so you're right, probably could wrangle the paperwork - it IS certainly medically necessary for me to lose the weight with all these other weight-related issues!! You are a font of knowledge!!! :drinker: