Strategies and tips to get out from Anorexia nervosa

Options
124»

Replies

• ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My eating disorder started either while the gallbladder was going bad or may have caused it I am not sure. Icouldn't eat without getting sick and it took a few months to figure out what was wrong. When the gallbladder came out I could eat without getting sick but the fear of eating was still there. I tried to work with a team nutricianist and therapist and MD and continue to work but it didn't work out well. I was in a pool teaching kids to swim eating uner 1,000 calories and freezing. I went to an out patient program but lived next door to it ( they had a house for those that couldnt commute) and it forced me to slow down and figure things out as well as having someone there to eat with and help me through the first week to two where I felt terrible eating past full etc. I was there for about 2.5 months and it really helped to understand and have someone there to guide me through the brain fog. It wasn't about body image for me I saw the too skinny look I was showing. It also helped that Ijust wasn't putting in food I didn't count calories completely. I hated the scale going down I was failing then to be healthy. I have been home all summer and am doing good with my local treatment team. My Nutricianist was the one to say to use MFP which some feel is wrong but for me it has helped to keep me accountable as I am starting to exercise again to know that I need to eat more. I have continued to gain very slowly since home and am proud of it. Things that have helped me are 1) thinking of six meals (now I am down to 4 unless I am hungry fo snacks) and using a guide of food groups to know what I need to eat when. 2) Exercising under a PT supervision helped to prevent me from going from zero to 100 and getting hurt. She helped prevent injury and helped me to listen again to my own body and held me accountable which I needed since I was very active before this happened and it would have been eay to just dive back into that routine and I would have failed 3) Nutricianst working with me when i found I was fighting to get six meals in and working with me to up the meals to still get caolies and protein where it needed to be as well as ideas 4) Exercising both cardio and strength training. The freedom is so impowering to feel good and have no brain fog and just to be outside and enjoying nature. 4) thinking differently and realizing numbers are also power or good if you use them right. I know I need to be at a certain weight to be able to do what I enjoy so go for it. It is cool and scary too as I finially gained enough to change sizes in clothes up. Confirming I was on the right path Healthy! yes, there are still moments ED takes over my mine and there are now fear foods I am dealing with that I never had for the first 50 years of my life who would have figured that but each day is better and I think positive and use quotes if I need it on mirrors etc