What do you think of Gym membership??

Options
05suu
05suu Posts: 90 Member
I ve had a 1/2 off offer for the local gym..do any of you go to the gym and if so do you go often enough to warrent paying the annual fee...??
I've joined before and it seems I go gung ho for a couple of months and then slack off and seems like a waste of money after abit...
What do you reckon...to gynm or not to gym...THAT is the question???? :laugh:

squiffy sue

Replies

• PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've recently taken out a 3 months membership, enough time to know if it's doing me any good and if I'll be able to/want to keep it up. So far (two weeks in) I've been twice a week for the gym, plus an extra visit for classes (yoga). This week I'm trying pilates and giving yoga a miss. So far, it's enjoyable, whether it'll last, time will tell.
  • s56clow
    s56clow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and love it. Im lucky as there are a great bunch of ladies that go at the same time and the gym itself is very supportive. Its a ladies only gym and takes half an hour. I do this twice daily. They also have zumba classes 1x weekly. Hey us girls can do anything we put our minds to. See if your gym will so a week or month trail period to see if it suits you. I tried several before I found this one that suits me. Once you find one that suits it is no hardshipmto keep going. Goodluck.:-)
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I belong to a gym with a pool and it's where I do all my exercise. I have a bad knee so can't jog or do exercise DVDs.
    They do aquafit classes which tend to be all women and most of us are over 40. It's great fun.....synchronised drowning I call it. It doesn't matter how rubbish you are because most of it is under water where nobody can see!
    For variety I go in the gym and cycle or row. I have just started some very simple strength/toning work. I get some odd looks from the young fit guys when I use the machines but don't care!
  • 05suu
    Options
    Great thanks guys..I'm going to have a look around tomorrow to see whats what.... She said I can do a month to month for £31 a month...so that seems ok....as long as I don't have to sign up for a year or something....
    also get 3 private training work outs with this, all classes and as long as I want between 9-5...

Give it a go what the heck!!!!
  • redhanded001
    Options
    I go 4x week and just recently completed my 1st and 2nd 5k,,both under a hour. Whew sweated a ton but felt good afterwards and proud of myself to boot..I personally like to go and feel that my membership is worth the 15.00 a month
  • GoinOrganic
    GoinOrganic Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends. Here where I live, I can have a membership for swimming for $35 a month, and it's a non-profit, so I feel if I don't use it any given month, it goes to a good cause...

For $15 a YEAR I can belong to a senior circle, where all kinds of classes are offered: yoga, bone building, body shaping etc... these are the things I use... a 'gym' using equipment is not my style... then I round it out with walks in the park, and the bicycle trails!!
  • 05suu
    Options
    You obviously don't have our weather ...bloody awful lately and doesn't make you want to go outside and do anything..whereas a quick hour at the gym doing various odds and ends..treadmill weights...rowing etc...or swimming for some...AND classes....is a good variety..I would much rather be outside as well...but Englands green and pleasant lands aren't GREEN for nothing...Damn rain never seems to stop!!! haha
  • GoinOrganic
    GoinOrganic Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You obviously don't have our weather ...bloody awful lately and doesn't make you want to go outside and do anything..whereas a quick hour at the gym doing various odds and ends..treadmill weights...rowing etc...or swimming for some...AND classes....is a good variety..I would much rather be outside as well...but Englands green and pleasant lands aren't GREEN for nothing...Damn rain never seems to stop!!! haha

lol!! No, I am living in a drought state... and before that I lived on an island, that had rain, but it was hot rain... From what you wrote, it sounds like a gym is just the answer you needed!! My two cents worth only gave you the flip side if you DIDN'T live in a rainy place! I like what Pete did... get a 3 month thing, and see how much you use it...
  • coachyoda88
    Options
    I have had gym memberships in the past, but I found that after the first month or so, I quit going. I am in North Dakota, so when the winter hits (most of the year!) I am happy as a clam indoors working out to an in-home program. I find I enjoy doing that more than driving out to a gym. Not only do I have my privacy (cause I'm sure I look pretty funny sometimes), but I also have my water, shower, and sofa close by! Also, I only pay the one time cost of the program, and don't have any monthly fees associated to the workout. Everyone is different, but I like doing 'my thing' inside the house.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Payed for memberships to gyms so many times but I always went a few times and then forget about them lol I find it easier to just put in an exercise tape and do my 30 minutes - I have a stationary bike that I keep in the bedroom so I can do some before I shower every day, even if its just 10 minutes sometimes, I figure thats better than none. When the weather is nice I love walking or hiking :) nothing greater than the outdoors.