Still working hard to prevent the next one?

Options
priv8life
priv8life Posts: 24 Member
My fear is that we fall back into our old routines. I'm still in rehab, but my neighbor who had a heart attack used to walk. Now I don't see him out anymore. Is this to be expected as the passion/fear wares off?

Replies

• wd61dp
    wd61dp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That is a personal choice. I have been working hard over the last year and feel great. I was very close to death and what works for me when i don't feel like going to the gym or crave something unhealthy...... I think about being on the phone with the 911 operator and telling her I wasn't going to make it. I gave her messages to give to my children and fiancee. I never went through the post heart attack depression that many of us go through, i was just so suprised and grateful to have another chance. Heart Disease is reversable through diet and exercise and in the end, you feel better! Good luck my friend.
  • priv8life
    priv8life Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    OK WD, so you did not revert. I don't think I will either. I'm passionate and motivated. My neighbor and my uncle, after 2 years or so...not so much.

Great story of your success. Keep up the great work.
  • wd61dp
    Options
    Priv. Good for you. You sound committed to making a difference. I think for many people they don't think they can stick with a healthy lifestyle and give up before they realize that they can live a long healthy life, even after a heart attack. A girl I was dating in High School (35 years ago) recently posted on facebook her dad was celebrating his 85th birthday. He had a heart attack the year we were dating.... that gives me hope!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've found that my fear has had a negative effect. I'm scared of anything risky and particularly anything which might affect my heart. I was worried that I couldn't monitor my heart rate properly because I was on drugs which affected my heart rate. I ended up toning down my exercise to the point that I don't think it was doing me much good at all. Recently, I've decided to face the fear and go for it and I've got my bike and my weights out again after years.
  • wd61dp
    Options
    @vailara: I understand that feeling, I really slowly progressed due to fear.I think whatever the doc tells you. The damage to our heart is different for everybody. I do always wear a heart monitor and the gym I go to has built in monitor that read the belt that I wear around my chest. The ultrasound showed the the blood flow was close to normal in my heart, even though i had damage, so i think I'm lucky. My carioligist says that I should be able to hold a conversation while doing cardio. If I am short of breath or can speak fairly normal I should slow down. I hope this helps. Good Luck!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    That's a good guide, whether or not you can hold a conversation. I think I may have being overdoing it a little at times (cycling uphill).
  • gracie97007
    gracie97007 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    it's been only 5 weeks for me since my attack and stent placed. I am working on eating different. Ideas on what works for you for eating the fruits and veggies daily as well as any recipes for meals? that would be great