Update, questions, reassurance

Options
Leigh14
Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
Hello! :flowerforyou:

I've been at this for about a week. The scale has went up about 4 pounds, but it doesn't scare me. I've been bouncing up and down 10-ish pounds for way longer than I care to think about. I'm battling the bloat with some Diurex and probiotics. They're helping. I did feel bloated and really full last week, but overall felt 10000000x better than I did eating 1400-1600 calories per day. I'm up to 2000 on non-workout days and 2100-2300 on workout days. My BMR is 1750. My TDEE is 2720. I took 20 percent from that to get my cut of 2000.

This weekend has been *weird.* I felt SO sleepy. If I stopped being physically productive, I would doze off! I think I read something about other people experiencing this. Just want to make sure I'm normal, LOL. I also got the hunger bug yesterday. After an entire week of feeling so full I couldn't possibly eat any more, yesterday I felt like I could devour a horse! I almost did. Neighhhh. :laugh: Seriously, though, I probably ate 500 over my TDEE. I know it wasn't 3500, so I couldn't have gained an entire pound, but it was a little scary!

This morning I'm feeling pretty good. I drink a ton of water, so I'm on my third glass and it's just barely past 9 a.m.

My pants feel a bit tighter in the thighs this a.m., but I believe it's from all the extra sodium I ate yesterday, along with the extra strength training I've been doing. I am actually taking a break from the gym this week to get back on schedule with my sleeping. I have drained myself the past couple weeks and I need to take care of my body. After this week, it's back to my 4:30 a.m. gym schedule! I do spin classes, BodyPump classes and a day of a strength and cardio circuit.

I'm kind of just wanting someone to reply and let me know I'm on the right track, that the extra calories I ate yesterday aren't going to hurt the grand scheme of things, that eventually the scale will start moving in the right direction and that I am not alone in this, lol! After years of eating at such a low calorie intake, I am READY to feed my body.

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I can assure you I have experienced ALL you just mentioned! You are def on the right course.

At first, I totally couldn't eat another morsel at times because I was so full. At points I didn't and was almost just tired of trying to eat...then after a month or so...boy did that change. I now totally love my high burn days because I get to eat more...most times I blow past netting my BMR straight to netting my CUT!

The sleepy part, I totally notice that on my higher calorie days...one day I thought I would pass out at the restuarant on a 3000 cal day...it was too funny. I totally zonked in the car.

I also notice that I run hotter too. I no longer put on the heater as soon as I walk into my cold office. I rarely use it anymore. At home, I run the air conditioner way cooler than before too.

And sodium is my arch enemy....I had a sweet loss last week and this morning back up 3lbs...not from anything but the sodium from yesterday...so it will take a few days to work itself out (drinking warm lemon water now), but whatever:-) As great as I feel, who in the world cares:-)
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this and can totally relate.

I just completed Week 2 and I'm up 2-3 pounds, but the bloating is really the worst part. I also struggled to eat all the calories until this weekend.....it felt like I was never satisfied!

Thanks for reassuring us Lucia...........the psychological component is the most challenging of this process.....the evil voice keeps saying "you're eating too much you idiot!".
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I just experienced that sleepiness starting this weekend!! Couldn't figure it out since I figured the extra cals should be making me more energetic and all I wanted to do was veg on the couch.

I'm only a few weeks in of upping my calories and I've been doing slow increases but now am up to about where I think I should be (about 2000 cals/day and more on high burn days) I'm totally freaking out as I watch the scale going up now..and I even gained little bit in the arms and legs but I'm attributing that to the P90X I'm doing right now since it they don't seem to be any floppier...haha!

This is probably the scariest ride I've ever been on....but I keep my eyes on the end goal and God and just have faith. oh, and I cry every so often when my husband announces a loss and he's hardly working at it. Then I get over my pity party and keep going. :)
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    LOL...men drop weight so easy, they are just so different from us. They tend not to jack up their systems like we do with the yo-yo dieting...

Anyway, ladies I added this to other topics...but this tool right here, I suggest using, it helps you see your trending and you make notes so you can see what's attributing to your weight fluctuations.
    https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet?s=022WQ9WF6Q200JFJJKFF2K288F0JQK950K003894&q=logout&HDiet_tzoffset=240

I tend to sleep so much better now....matter of fact I tend to want to crash sooner...lol. But if you exercise too close to bedtime that can keep you up.
  • jyska
    Options
    Anyway, ladies I added this to other topics...but this tool right here, I suggest using, it helps you see your trending and you make notes so you can see what's attributing to your weight fluctuations.
    https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet?s=022WQ9WF6Q200JFJJKFF2K288F0JQK950K003894&q=logout&HDiet_tzoffset=240

Thanks for that but I have a question...what are the 'rung' and 'flag' boxes for??
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    LOL...men drop weight so easy, they are just so different from us. They tend not to jack up their systems like we do with the yo-yo dieting...

I tend to sleep so much better now....matter of fact I tend to want to crash sooner...lol. But if you exercise too close to bedtime that can keep you up.

I always exercise at night... we usually spend from 10pm to 11:30pm in the gym. I know it's supposed to give you energy, but I come home and suck down my protein shake, take a shower, and by the time my hair is dry I'm ready to pass out! I have definitely noticed I sleep much easier and without the help of sleep aids like I needed in the past since I started eating more. Something about blood flow being centered on your stomach and intestines, I'm sure. I've also noticed I don't get the migraines I'm prone to as often.

After my weekend fast food bender (I was out of town with a bunch of guys for a frisbee tournament), I've felt a bit sluggish, but I'm hoping after a couple days of healthier eating I'll get my regularly scheduled energy back. :)

To the OP: I just wrote a blog about all the changes I've seen in the 2 weeks since I've started eating more, if you are interested in the slightly lengthy read, it's here: http://eatingmoreandweighingless.blogspot.com/2012/04/and-were-back.html

The rest of the blog entries basically address my experience with eating more, and other tidbits of fun information I've picked up along the way with my researching stuff about how metabolism works.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Thanks for that but I have a question...what are the 'rung' and 'flag' boxes for??

LOL, I have no idea...hope someone else can jump in on that one.
  • jyska
    Options

LOL, I have no idea...hope someone else can jump in on that one.

Lucky me - I just stumbled on the answer a few minutes ago when I was reading through another post that had a slightly different link to the 'Hacker's Diet Online' and it had all kinds of info on using the online tools. http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/online/hdo.html

This is a quick excerpt from the page that answers my question so now everyone can know what it means! :)
    If you're following the exercise program presented in The Hacker's Diet, use the “Rung” field to record which rung on the exercise ladder you completed that day. You can use the “Flag” field to mark any recurrent event you're interested in keeping track of on an ongoing basis, for example, whether you found the time for a game of tennis or had an ice cream snack before turning in for the night. The “Comments” field can be used to record any text you like (up to 4096 characters).
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I Love this weight average tracking tool.. Thank you Hackers Guide and AnewLucia.. I'm reading the book now too - the link to the PDF of on the main website.

Wow that makes me feel so much better to see the trend of my weight IS going down.. even if I'm up a few pounds..
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    I just experienced that sleepiness starting this weekend!! Couldn't figure it out since I figured the extra cals should be making me more energetic and all I wanted to do was veg on the couch.

I'm only a few weeks in of upping my calories and I've been doing slow increases but now am up to about where I think I should be (about 2000 cals/day and more on high burn days) I'm totally freaking out as I watch the scale going up now..and I even gained little bit in the arms and legs but I'm attributing that to the P90X I'm doing right now since it they don't seem to be any floppier...haha!

This is probably the scariest ride I've ever been on....but I keep my eyes on the end goal and God and just have faith. oh, and I cry every so often when my husband announces a loss and he's hardly working at it. Then I get over my pity party and keep going. :)

Oh my gosh....that is totally me too with my husband! He loses weight so quickly and with hardly any effort and it drives me bonkers. Men and their faster metabolisms! I try really hard to be supportive, but it makes me want to cry sometimes too. We're almost the same weight now and I have been working SO hard to lose weight and he just says he's gonna lose weight and it all starts falling off. Keep fighting the good fight! :o)
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Guys almost always see results before women do, due their testosterone which contributes to naturally higher levels of muscle (which burns fat in and of itself). That's why we're always advocating lifting heavy and building muscle. It's the only way that allows us to have that same edge that they do, so that our bodies react w/the slightest effort :wink:
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!! I'm plugging along. :smile:

To the lady who posted a link to her blog ... I read it all!! And SO glad I did!!!! It feels great to know I'm not alone!
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!! I'm plugging along. :smile:

To the lady who posted a link to her blog ... I read it all!! And SO glad I did!!!! It feels great to know I'm not alone!

No problem! :) I'm hoping that as I chronicle the progress it can be a tool for people in the future :)
  • jyska
    Options

Oh my gosh....that is totally me too with my husband! He loses weight so quickly and with hardly any effort and it drives me bonkers. Men and their faster metabolisms! I try really hard to be supportive, but it makes me want to cry sometimes too. We're almost the same weight now and I have been working SO hard to lose weight and he just says he's gonna lose weight and it all starts falling off. Keep fighting the good fight! :o)

Thanks - you too!! I hated that feeling when my husbands jeans were smaller than mine...I don't even like that they are so close to my size now that I'm smaller than him (by about 10lbs only and that numbers getting smaller as he loses and I gain....argh)

Trying to keep eating all my calories instead of going back to old habits right now is getting harder as the weight keeps going up. (another lb today...sigh) and it doesn't help when my husband says, "don't push so hard to eat all the calories" NOT HELPFUL!!! I found it not so bad in the beginning but last night it was physically uncomfortable that full feeling...especially when I'm trying to make sure it's good calories and not just high cal junk like chips or salsa which means the food is more bulky. Since I'm not getting hungry on some days and eating more on others, I'm always full so I think that's attributing to this 'overful' feeling...I'm never 'making up' for any too low days which used to make high cal days no problem.

This really is a new learning process....balancing out the foods and when I eat them so I'm not trying to cram enough calories down my throat just before bed...getting used to being full, going against society that doesn't believe in the eating more policy...this takes some guts to get the glory! lol