Ways to flavor protein shakes

Options
shanna0413
shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
Hello. My protein powder is a non dairy, non soy powder because of my allergies. It is very very plain tasting. I make my smoothies in the am with it and I put different fruits in on different days. Is there any way to add more flavor to it though. Todays smoothie is very blah tasting. Almond milk apple and spinach. I read on here that someone uses flavored fish oil. Where would I find that? And does it have a fishy after taste? Thanks for the help.

Replies

• Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe that I LOVE - though it's not very good if you're trying to eat "clean" as it has artificial sweeteners. It does taste extra yummy and simple, though. :drinker:

1 scoop protein powder
    2 Tbsp. any flavor instant sugar-free jello pudding mix (I love using cheesecake ... mmmm)
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 cup skim milk
    1 cup low-fat cottage cheese (this just adds a thick, creamy consistency - not taste)
    1 cup frozen fruit or ice (I use strawberries with my cheesecake! Delish!!)

Blend it all together. Drink! I usually split it into two servings because it's around 400 calories and super filling!!

The combinations are endless. I haven't tried many - YET - since I just discovered the recipe a couple weeks ago, but let me tell you that pistachio is amazing and my boyfriend loved butterscotch!

I also sometimes take a scoop of protein powder and just mix it with any flavor yogurt for something I can actually eat with a spoon instead of drink. I think it's mental, but I feel fuller that way, lol
  • msesheta
    msesheta Posts: 29
    Options
    I sometimes add frozen banana and/or plain cocoa powder to mine. If you like coconut that adds nutrition as well as more flavour.

If you like the "green" flavour, parsley and celery make good additions.

Shelley
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Amp wheybolic 60 powder. Vanilla, choc and banana cream. I use milk sometimes, but have been using brewed green tea lately. The plain doesn't flavor, but there are flavored teas that would lend some flavor. I've tried Celestial honey lemon and Tazo Zen. Both give a little flavor. Lots of others u could try. Get antioxidants to boot! I do fruit. Apple and pear are new .. I like both. Nut butters, of course. There is a dark choc peanut butter ...that might be good to try. Hmmmmm. Maybe coffee ? For a mocha flavor?
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    my favorite one in the morning is just adding some ice and instant coffee. coffee flavored protein. hello energy!

i also add strawberries and a banana sometimes.

another one that i like, that's probably not very healthy, is a small scoop of vanilla ice cream, with a little milk and ice and protein powder, and then toss in a couple bite sized candy bars. it's super yummy and one of my favorites after a work out because i usually burn enough calories that i'm below my BMR and that shake has enough to put me back where i'm supposed to be. :)
  • msesheta
    msesheta Posts: 29
    Options
    These are all great ideas!