Vegetarian Strength Trainers

Options
shander7
shander7 Posts: 613 Member
Hi all!
I'm new to the strength training world (yey!) and I'm very excited to get started!! I was wondering if there were any other vegetarians out there that are also doing it? I know I'm supposed to eat more protein.. especially after work outs.. but I was wondering what your sources of protein were. Any ideas and advice would help! I'm not big on protein shakes either, which I know would be the easy answer, but I'm looking for more natural sources :) Thanks!!

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can't help you with vegetarian question. But, not all protein supplements (shakes) are equal. There are many that contain only all-natural ingredients (whey or soy) so don't rule them out as a source.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I eat beans or lentils especially in soups. I put seeds on salads, ground flax seed in yogurt. Humus, cheese. I make sure I eat a decent amount of protein each meal which s difficult if eating out as most vege options can be un inspiring. Also quinoa and wold rice.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Plus eggs are the best source of protein for vegetarians. I'm only just managing to force them in after a lifetime of disliking them. I also eat soya beans and tofu but there is as much research about how bad it is for you as there are good. But I like it for now. Hope this helps.
  • MSP222
    MSP222 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    do you eat much soya? I try to limit my intake but tofu is a firm favourite of mine when heavily flavoured and always pulses, beans - even my husband chose the sweet potato and chickpea burger with me in the pub the other day over his Angus beef burger because he likes it (and I always get more on my meals!!!).