Nutrient Split

Options
esteelewis
esteelewis Posts: 96 Member
Do you have any idea what your protein/carb/fat intake is?

Since I have switched to "clean eating" (organic fruits, meats and veggies and eliminated 90+% of processed foods from my diet) I have noticed that my carbs are now 250-300g based on the increase in veggies/fruits...and my protein is down to around 60g. Plus cooking with olive oil and real butter my fat has increased quite a bit.

Basically I am about 50% carbs, 35% fat and 15% protein.

Since we are so engrained that "carbs" are bad and "fat" is bad this has me a bit concerned....granted its primarily from the fruit, butter, olive oil and veggies (and some homemade organic wheat bread I made last night). But still...now I am worried I am eating too much carbs/fat and not enough protein.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with similar issues since switching to clean eating. My carbs are up due to more fruits etc. My fats are up but they are all Omega 3 fats and my protein has sky rocketed. I'm feeling better than I ever have before and the weight is coming off again so I say go with what works for you even if its not pretty in the daily nutrient thing set by mfp. I have noticed since eating cleaner that when I do eat sugar I get a horrible headache. Its so not worth it :)
  • esteelewis
    Options
    I can say I have felt amazing the last week. so energetic, happy and I actually feel healthier not putting all the processed crap into my body. I was just a bit concerned about the breakdown. But i will just continue on for a while and change it if i ever feel the need to.
    I am getting a lot of sugar from the fruit. but its natural at least :). Then I will sprinkle some organic cane sugar here and there when its called for.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I eat protein/carbs/fat - 40%/40%/20%. I restrict the fruits to berries and red grapefruit and a banana now and again, as fruits are loaded with sugar. when I cook with oils, I use the spray type so I don't use as much. Stevia is a good natural alternative to sugar.
  • heidienglund
    heidienglund Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That is such a great question! I need to figure this out too!
    I know that my nutritionist keeps telling me to put more protein in my breakfast because I am gluten free.
    As far as friut versus vegies, I know I eat more fruit, a lot of fruit!
    I will keep this in mind with my meal planning, I hadn't considered it before.
    Can't wait to get those Tosca Reno Clean Eating books in the mail! :smile:
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's such a relief to find out, that others are struggeling with this issue as well! I am constantly over my carbs and sugar, sometimes even over my fat. My protein is way to low according to MFP
    It is harder for me to stay in my calorie range for the day ( I have no idea why!!!). Maybe it is just the transition and it will all even out in the process.

But in the end, honestly, I don't give a bleep. It feels good to eat that way and my main goal is to get rid of the whole calorie counting anyway.
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    HealthyNFit4Life Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what the percentages you should have are, but my dietician told me that women need a lot less protein than we think. It seems as if all the carbs you are eating are good carbs.
  • esteelewis
    Options

But in the end, honestly, I don't give a bleep. It feels good to eat that way and my main goal is to get rid of the whole calorie counting anyway.

LOVE THIS! :)