Recovery Shake/Meal Macro Ratios

Options
AmyzNewGroove
AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
Hiya. I was just wondering if anyone had any research or anecdotal experience with the best macro ratio for a recovery shake/meal? Obviously a good source of protein is needed, but what about carbs for glycogen? Is there a recommended ratio of the two? Does the type of activity make a difference?

Replies

• k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I typically either eat a banana or throw one into my post-workout protein shake. it's a pretty carb-y fruit. :)
  • AmyzNewGroove
    Options
    That's smart thinking about the banana. :)

I've been making my protein shake with chocolate almond milk, together they have 5g fat, 25 carb (22 of that sugar) and 19g protein. I read somewhere (livestrong.com I think) that a 2:1 ratio of carb/protein is ideal (wasn't sure if fat is ok). If needed I could snack on some berries too to get the carb side of the ratio up I suppose...but when trying to keep carbs low it's sorta tough...so I guess what I'm wondering: is it necessary to hit at 2:1 ratio or should I just keep doing what I'm doing?
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    That's smart thinking about the banana. :)

I've been making my protein shake with chocolate almond milk, together they have 5g fat, 25 carb (22 of that sugar) and 19g protein. I read somewhere (livestrong.com I think) that a 2:1 ratio of carb/protein is ideal (wasn't sure if fat is ok). If needed I could snack on some berries too to get the carb side of the ratio up I suppose...but when trying to keep carbs low it's sorta tough...so I guess what I'm wondering: is it necessary to hit at 2:1 ratio or should I just keep doing what I'm doing?

traditionally, the post workout shake would have as little fat as possible to not interfere w/absorption. Shoot for 15-20g fast digesting protein, and about 20% of your total carb intake for the day to be in the shake. Carbs are most essential following the workout. Typically fruit is good to add to the shake, but you would stick with the quicker digesting fruit like banana. Some berries have a lot of fiber, which would again, interfere w/quick absorption of post workout protein. Since I typically do chocolate shakes, I usually go for the banana, as don't really like too many other fruits w/chocolate, lol.

~Kiki
  • AmyzNewGroove
    Options
    *smacks forehead* How could I forget about the fiber slowing absorbtion?! Whoops! Thanks for the info, Kiki! I'll add a banana and call it good. :)