Recording Korean food nutrition info

Options
CMB1979
CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
How do you record it? I have lunch at my school cafeteria every day but I'm not exactly sure what i'm eating. I also don't know if my calorie count is vary far off.

Replies

• CMB1979
    Options
    2012-04-17%2B13.40.36.jpg
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    That looks yummy. I tallied it up and came up with 476 cal. I might have miscalculated on the rice. That is
    the hard one for me to "eyeball" and get it right. Anyway, that gives you some wiggle room on the sesame
    oil for the salad. :D Ohhhh, gotta go eat dinner right now!!
  • CMB1979
    Options
    That looks yummy. I tallied it up and came up with 476 cal. I might have miscalculated on the rice. That is
    the hard one for me to "eyeball" and get it right. Anyway, that gives you some wiggle room on the sesame
    oil for the salad. :D Ohhhh, gotta go eat dinner right now!!

Thanks. I hope you're right. My counts always seem high when I try to figure out lunch.

Chris
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    i just search for something remotely close in the MFP database. Also, you can try to find the same food in the store and look on the label. If it helps, I have a handy cheat sheet for the translation of the nutrition facts:

열량
    Calories

탄수화물
    Carbohydrates

당료
    Sugar

단백질
    Protein

지방
    Fat

포화 지방
    Saturated fat

트랜스 지방
    Trans fat

콜레스테롤
    Cholesterol

나트륨
    Sodium
  • CMB1979
    Options
    i just search for something remotely close in the MFP database. Also, you can try to find the same food in the store and look on the label. If it helps, I have a handy cheat sheet for the translation of the nutrition facts:

열량
    Calories

탄수화물
    Carbohydrates

당료
    Sugar

단백질
    Protein

지방
    Fat

포화 지방
    Saturated fat

트랜스 지방
    Trans fat

콜레스테롤
    Cholesterol

나트륨
    Sodium

Yeah, I have a similar cheat sheet. I was more worried about school lunches (teacher) whereas I don't know what anything is or what most ingredients are by sight. I'm not good at eyeing portions.
  • nenamartinez
    nenamartinez Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I worry about the same thing. I have to eyeball and estimate the portions. Not to mention that I'm also just guessing what some things are.. The lunches always end up really high-calorie for me, because of the rice. It' s a bad habit to eat so much rice since it's not even filling for me~!
  • CMB1979
    Options
    Yeah, I worry about the same thing. I have to eyeball and estimate the portions. Not to mention that I'm also just guessing what some things are.. The lunches always end up really high-calorie for me, because of the rice. It' s a bad habit to eat so much rice since it's not even filling for me~!

Yeah. I quit the school lunches on June 1 and started losing weight again.
  • gomgomgom
    Options
    If you can read Korean, there is a very helpful website on Naver.

http://health.naver.com/nutrition/search.nhn

Of course the amound of calories will differ in every restaurant but it can help you a lot for estimating the calories of your dish.
    Also has the calories for pretty much every product you can buy in the supermarket. Just found the website recently and started MFP only a few days ago, so I cant judge well yet but so far helped me a lot.
  • sleepingbeauty93
    Options
    Most cafeterias have nutrition facts posted somewhere, it's just tricky finding just where that is.. :(
    Also, some schools post their daily/weekly menus (w/ nutrition facts) on their school websites, so it would be a good idea to check .
  • scb1985
    Options
    I stopped eating my school lunch about 3 weeks ago and have already noticed a change. I've also stopped drinking until the New Year which in my opinion is quite hard in this country
  • thom2369
    thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have been reading the Korean menu then finding a translation online and then punching it into MFP and hoping for the best. Our school lunch schedule also has the energy total and when I punch it into MFP it always comes up fairly close to their calorie guess as well. About 500/600 calories.

I think I am doing okay with it but it is so hard to be sure on some things! Now though I have cut my rice from 1 cup to 1/2 cup and now to 1/4 cup. I like to eat at least a little bit of rice with the meal since it can be a little salty/spicy.