30's Daily - Tuesday, April 17

Options
Welcome to our daily thread!

We post here for motivation and support. Feel free to share your successes and your failures. Really, you should feel free to share whatever is on your mind. Just be respectful and expect respect in return.

[Anyone can start the daily thread, just make the new subject and copy and paste the intro. Thanks in advance for your help.]

Replies

• SaraGrace82
    SaraGrace82 Posts: 232
    Options
    I started up the new challenge. I swear by next week I will be back to posting things in a timely manner. :-)

I have been off food tracking for almost a week because of company and I am a little scared to look at the scale tomorrow. Over the years I have learned that I must must must confront the scale weekly. Even terrible weeks can only be so bad on their own. It's only when I hide from the scale for a long time that I see big gains.

Tonight we made I to the gym for weight lifting (NRoWL, A3). Feeling much stronger already and went up a far amount on most exercises.

Hope I have a chance to look through last week's posts at some point. Hope everyone is recovering from "the Mondays."

Best,
    Sara Grace
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Bad eating night last night. Found myself grazing around the kitchen and before I knew it I had probably put down an extra 800 calories. Not terrible, but not feeling great about it today. I think I'm stressed about something but I can't pinpoint what it is. Used to be all my stress came from work, but since I've changed jobs a month ago I can't blame it on that anymore! Perhaps I'm just missing the stress relief of running since I haven't been doing it lately.

Sara Grace, I'm just finishing up Stage 1 this week and I am so looking forward to taking a break! I have just been more and more sore as I have progressed through the program, but I think that means I'm doing it right :smile: I thought those workouts were cake at the beginning but by the end here I'm just forcing myself through, particularly the jackknife sets. Love/hate the jackknife.

Funny to hear you say that about the scale as its opposite to what most people advise, but I'm the same way! I need the scale to keep me in check. I got to my highest weight when I ditched the scale in my mid-twenties after seeing advised so many different places.
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Bad eating night last night. Found myself grazing around the kitchen and before I knew it I had probably put down an extra 800 calories. Not terrible, but not feeling great about it today. I think I'm stressed about something but I can't pinpoint what it is. Used to be all my stress came from work, but since I've changed jobs a month ago I can't blame it on that anymore! Perhaps I'm just missing the stress relief of running since I haven't been doing it lately.

Sara Grace, I'm just finishing up Stage 1 this week and I am so looking forward to taking a break! I have just been more and more sore as I have progressed through the program, but I think that means I'm doing it right :smile: I thought those workouts were cake at the beginning but by the end here I'm just forcing myself through, particularly the jackknife sets. Love/hate the jackknife.

Funny to hear you say that about the scale as its opposite to what most people advise, but I'm the same way! I need the scale to keep me in check. I got to my highest weight when I ditched the scale in my mid-twenties after seeing advised so many different places.

Oy, the jackknife - I just started my 3 sets/10-12 reps last night . . . I was REALLY proud of myself up until the jackknife. Managed 12 reps on the first set, but could only muster 10 on the 2nd and 3rd sets. But overall I felt really accomplished after the my workout last night - I was burning up and drenched, not to mention in a great mood after being grumpy all day.
    Speaking of stage one exercises, how bout those step-ups? I just recently got brave enough to move off of the aerobic step and actually use a bench . . . really afraid I'm going to fall and break my neck. :blushing:
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a good day for me, I went up some weights and didn't feel like eating all my exercise calories back. Plus it's TOM so I'm happy I'm not just laying around, lol. Do the ladies here find weight loss harder the week OF TOM, or the week BEFORE? My right quad is a bit sore/tweaked, but I think it will be fine for running tomorrow.

Funny NSV - for the first time since my first pregnancy 4-5 years ago, my boobs stick out further than my belly! Ha!
  • susieq101178
    Options
    Funny NSV - for the first time since my first pregnancy 4-5 years ago, my boobs stick out further than my belly! Ha!

Lol - this makes me feel better . . . since taking and seeing my "before" pictures that's practically the only thing I can focus on! I'm pretty flat-chested, so this will take some doing for me. :tongue:
  • PJYoung2012
    PJYoung2012 Posts: 191
    Options
    Hello Ladies, hope everyone's having a good day. Had a good session in the gym last night and was thrilled to find out I've won the Weight Loss Challenge. I am also quietly amused by the certificate which declares me the biggest loser. I guess those kids at school were right after all! Going for another gym session tonight as i'm feeling strong. Not sure if it's linked but my calorie intake has snuck up a couple of hundred a day recently.

Took me a while to figure out what TOM meant.
  • susieq101178
    Options
    Ha ha - PJ, I couldn't help but think while reading and replying earlier "I'll bet PJ just loves reading about this stuff." You're a trooper! :wink:
  • PJYoung2012
    Options
    lol, it really doesn't bother me actually. Until recently i attended a weekly healthy living and weight loss group. I was the only guy in a group of 30. Every week a TOM issue would come up and they would all squirm and smile at me. It really didn't bother me although I did ask that the group leader refer to it as a "Ladies Plumbing Adventure" issue as it's known in my house.
    The only thing i remember is that during TOM a ladies metabolism speeds up slightly and they will burn an extra 300 calories a day.
  • shorty313
    Options
    Congrats on winning the contest PJ!
  • lissa0040
    lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a good day for me, I went up some weights and didn't feel like eating all my exercise calories back. Plus it's TOM so I'm happy I'm not just laying around, lol. Do the ladies here find weight loss harder the week OF TOM, or the week BEFORE? My right quad is a bit sore/tweaked, but I think it will be fine for running tomorrow.

I struggle the week before TOM (another girl on here refers to it as shark week which I think is hilarious). I gain, I have zero motivation AND I want to eat anything that's not nailed down. My last weight loss attempt the TOM started to get easier when I forced myself to exercise through it. I am attempting that this time around but the jury is still out.

Congrats on your NSV! I don't even have any babies yet and that is my problem!
  • lissa0040
    lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Congrats on winning the weight loss challenge PJ! :smile:
  • PJYoung2012
    Options
    Aww thanks very much guys. Once again i have to say that this group has been an oasis of lovely people. It came as a bit of a shock to be honest. The challenge rules stated it was the person who lost the most by %. I had lost 43lbs in 12 weeks sure but i was really heavy to begin with and throughout the challenge we'd get an update and i wasn't even in the top 5. When it came time to announce the winner last night we all sat and the group leader gave out the prizes for inches lost and 3rd and second place. When time came for number one she said "I think we all know who the winner is" and everyone looked at me. I promply blushed a lot because i'm British and managed to squeak thank you!
  • SaraGrace82
    SaraGrace82 Posts: 232
    Options
    Paul is the winner!! Clearly we are a group of champions!

My small victory was losing .6 lbs today. So exciting! I guess all the extra tromping around cancelled out all the eating out. FTW!

Now I am gearing up for a long weekend of travel and wedding fun. We're headed across the country tomorrow. I have a bachelorette party on Thursday, rehearsal/dinner on Friday, and wedding on Saturday. So much food, so much booze...

Ellie - I seem to have the opposite problem. I always kill myself for the first few sessions and then level off into something more manageable. So this round of weight lifting is a "do over" from when I stopped in November so my weights are already steadily climbing back up. This week I did Squats: 75/85lbs, Seated Rows:80/90lbs, Push ups: 30 degrees, Step ups: 40lbs! We did swiss ball crunches because the only ball we could find was super big. Next session I will do the prone jackknifes.

For step up safety, I have been doing them on two step platforms. I know it is a bit more stable and therefore less challenging but the bench is very high for someone with short legs. I saw my husband wipe out off the bench one day with 45lb weights in each hand and I thought "Nope, not doing that anymore." I figure the steps are a good substitute.

Sadly, for prone jackknifes (jackknives?) I start out finding them hard because I am too weak and then later they are super hard because my muscles are so exhausted from the other lifting exercises. They are not my favorite.

At the end of the day though... I still hate lunges the most. :-)

Better go focus on laundry and packing. Talk to you guys later!

Sara Grace
  • shorty313
    Options
    I agree, lunges are the devil! :devil: I did them with increased weights last night and my quads are sore. Add to that I just don't have great balance, and it's not pretty :laugh:
  • PJYoung2012
    Options
    My first trainer seemed to have some sort of lunge fetish and i had to give up on his programe. It was impossible to exersice with constantly pulled quads :-S.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I have problems with my knees so I struggle the lunges as I have to be super careful of my form. Yes I am that weirdo staring at myself in the mirror while I lunge but for good reason!

The step ups on the higher bench were tough, my gym had a platform that I used so it was more stable than the bench but I still felt really wobbly.

For the new rules gals, I decided today not to do the extra workouts for stage 1 and just take some extra days off lifting so I'm calling it officially done! Speaking of rules, do you guys remember that dating book the Rules that was a big Oprah style craze back in the late (I think) 90's with all those dating rules? For some reason I was thinking about that the other day and got a bit of a giggle about all the girls following this whole different set of rules for lifting. Probably about as far from what that dating book said we should do as you could get!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, hope everyone's having a good day. Had a good session in the gym last night and was thrilled to find out I've won the Weight Loss Challenge. I am also quietly amused by the certificate which declares me the biggest loser. I guess those kids at school were right after all! Going for another gym session tonight as i'm feeling strong. Not sure if it's linked but my calorie intake has snuck up a couple of hundred a day recently.

Took me a while to figure out what TOM meant.
    Congrats!!!!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting heavy, you probably needed those extra calories. A lot of the women on the Eat More, Weigh Less group are doing NROLFW, and they eat upwards of 2000 calories a day. Here's to your strong body! :)
  • susieq101178
    Options

I struggle the week before TOM (another girl on here refers to it as shark week which I think is hilarious). I gain, I have zero motivation AND I want to eat anything that's not nailed down. My last weight loss attempt the TOM started to get easier when I forced myself to exercise through it. I am attempting that this time around but the jury is still out.

Congrats on your NSV! I don't even have any babies yet and that is my problem!

I will now be referring mine as shark week . . . that's just too good not to use.