tracking daily weight....when do you count it as a loss

Options
I just started tracking my daily weight on The Hacker's Diet Online. Since most of us go up and down and around throughout the week I was wondering when you do your "official" weigh in and when you update MFP with a weight loss.

I was down another pound this morning and I'm eager to add it to my ticker, but should I actually consider it a pound lost, or is it just part of a fluctuation that will be back up tomorrow or later this week? Do you count any loss as a loss on your ticker and just don't count the weight gain when it swings back up? I want to be excited.....this is my lowest number so far, but I'm feeling hesitant to add it to my ticker in case I gain it back tomorrow.

What would you do?

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I actually track mine in MFP everyday...even when i gain...its a lil level of accountability for me :)
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    I actually track mine in MFP everyday...even when i gain...its a lil level of accountability for me :)

Ahhh. My gut reaction to that is resistance. I changed my ticker one time to reflect a weight gain during my tom and I felt HORRIBLE! I'm charting my daily progress so that I can see how my weight loss trends but I don't think I want to add weight fluctuation to my ticker. I know its all mental, but I want that number to only go down, even if my chart is more accurate and goes all over the place. I'm just trying to figure out how other people who chart decide when to count a loss as a loss.....or maybe everyone changes their ticker with losses and gains. Hmmm?
  • Quel1970
    Quel1970 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was only logging my weight loss if I had it for a week but then I decided I was going to log every time I weighed. Even though I know my loss may be only water, I logged it today. BUT, I will log a gain in two days if it happens too.

I think it's just personal preference? Whatever works for you :)
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    Okay, well I'm gonna log this one because I KNOW that it is an actual pound lost! I upped my calories a few weeks ago and gained and lost the same pound over and over again. Then last week I upped to TDEE -20% and yesterday I lost a pound and today another one. Thus far since upping my cals I have only had loss....no gain, but tom is coming up pretty soon. Maybe I'll start logging my daily weight on my ticker whether loss or gain...maybe skip during tom though. Something to ponder!
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself near enough every morning, however I only track it on here on Mondays or if it's the 1st of the month. I just *have* to know what I weigh first thing, but it only counts on my official weigh in day. If I've gained, so what, and if I've lost, I'm glad :smile:

ETA: I do have an excel spreadsheet that I use to track my weight every day that I do it. This makes a nice little graph so I can see it heading in the right direction overall :smile:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking daily this week just to see how the trend is (for some reason I cant get back into the Hacker diet site).. But my official weigh ins are wednesday mornings for the biggest loser competition I am in.
  • alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to turn off telling your MFP friends when you lose weight? I want to log my weight every day just to see fluctuations but feel that i may get annoying if i have a .2 lb loss every day or whatever.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the tracking online every day too. My weigh in day used to be every Friday morning but I've stopped doing that. I may go back to doing it though, regardless of whether I have a gain or loss that Friday.

I don't know but there's just something about seeing that ticker that keeps me motivated.
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Is there any way to turn off telling your MFP friends when you lose weight? I want to log my weight every day just to see fluctuations but feel that i may get annoying if i have a .2 lb loss every day or whatever.

Go to Settings - Automatic News Feed update settings - Uncheck the 'I have lost weight' box - Save Changes
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm an everyday logger on MFP, so you will probably see my ticker bouncing all over the place...
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I love seeing every little loss my friends have, 0.2 lbs or not! I doubt your friends will be annoyed!
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It usually takes about 10 to 14 days for me to be sure about a loss. So When I get the same new lowest weight twice with a week interval I record that.

So I weigh everday and plot on an excel sheet then every fortnight or so I record my weight loss on MFP.