New and this doesn't seem right

Options
2»

Replies

• justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Raz!!! U rock. :-) SO...I decided to take the plunge and made both me and hubby moderately active. So I'm going to be eating 2519 calories!!!!!!! Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll try not to chicken out :-) Keep me strong Raz :-) And I'll try to keep my hubby strong. hehe - that is assuming he'll even try it :-)

We are both doing this so it will be a little hard but we can rely upon each other :) You can do it, I know you can :)
  • Sunbeam0904
    Sunbeam0904 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I upped my cals to moderate activity TDEE -15% which is 2519 (CRAZY!!!) but when I tried to up my husband's cal's he literally called me at work to tell me to put them back to 1850 (his regular MFP goal). LOL. (Until now he's just tracked his food and I've set his cal's for him).

I told him to read up on this stuff and how he's killing his metabolism and stuff but he won't even hear it. :-( Sigh, I hope he'll come around :-) But in the meantime I'm even more nervous b/c I'm eating 700 cal more than my husband who's over a foot taller than me! This is crazy! I'm so glad ur starting out with me though Raz, bc this is kind of nerve-racking!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I upped my cals to moderate activity TDEE -15% which is 2519 (CRAZY!!!) but when I tried to up my husband's cal's he literally called me at work to tell me to put them back to 1850 (his regular MFP goal). LOL. (Until now he's just tracked his food and I've set his cal's for him).

I told him to read up on this stuff and how he's killing his metabolism and stuff but he won't even hear it. :-( Sigh, I hope he'll come around :-) But in the meantime I'm even more nervous b/c I'm eating 700 cal more than my husband who's over a foot taller than me! This is crazy! I'm so glad ur starting out with me though Raz, bc this is kind of nerve-racking!

Sunbeam, just wait...your hubby will be following right along with you...your energy level is about to sore, your mood is about to elevate, you will be able to workout at a higher intensity, and you will feel better in general. That alone was enough for me...but after a while, the scale too will start moving in a downward direction...but that still isn't the best part...it is the fat that disappears, the inches that drop off that amazes me the most. The firming up and toning when lifting...you get to a point where you don't focus so much on that scale, but on the changes you see in the mirror, the clothes you can get into that you couldn't get a leg in at the same weight...oh I could go on and on...

Glad you have raz and over 1000 other people on here to encourage you and help you through the process. Raynn1 walked through it and gained and I thought she would give up at times, but thankfully she didn't and now she is losing.

You can do this :-)
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Sunbeam- Keep at it! The good thing b/c we have been friends is we saw the past and are going to fix our future together. You can do this, just stay strong!!!

Now, my question is I thought that eating at a cut I wouldn't have to eat back exercise cals? IE MFP says I typically burn about 500 cals on my workout nights (3x per week, 1 horseback ride=450, 2x week walk dog = 175 and then once every other week mowing lawn =3,036). I am eating 2,320 calories, and my BMR is 1700. So if you subtract my exercise cals, I am still eating 1,820, 120 cals above my bmr.

I really don't think the suggested calories burned from MFP are right, but I haven't gotten the money to afford a HRM yet. I want one, but can't afford one.

So, do I eat my exercise cals or not? I am confused?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Sunbeam- Keep at it! The good thing b/c we have been friends is we saw the past and are going to fix our future together. You can do this, just stay strong!!!

Now, my question is I thought that eating at a cut I wouldn't have to eat back exercise cals? IE MFP says I typically burn about 500 cals on my workout nights (3x per week, 1 horseback ride=450, 2x week walk dog = 175 and then once every other week mowing lawn =3,036). I am eating 2,320 calories, and my BMR is 1700. So if you subtract my exercise cals, I am still eating 1,820, 120 cals above my bmr.

I really don't think the suggested calories burned from MFP are right, but I haven't gotten the money to afford a HRM yet. I want one, but can't afford one.

So, do I eat my exercise cals or not? I am confused?

You only start to eat back if your NET calories is under your BMR. Since you eat 2320,unless you burn over 600, then you don't eat back anything.
  • Sunbeam0904
    Sunbeam0904 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Sunbeam, just wait...your hubby will be following right along with you...your energy level is about to sore, your mood is about to elevate, you will be able to workout at a higher intensity, and you will feel better in general. That alone was enough for me...but after a while, the scale too will start moving in a downward direction...but that still isn't the best part...it is the fat that disappears, the inches that drop off that amazes me the most. The firming up and toning when lifting...you get to a point where you don't focus so much on that scale, but on the changes you see in the mirror, the clothes you can get into that you couldn't get a leg in at the same weight...oh I could go on and on...

Glad you have raz and over 1000 other people on here to encourage you and help you through the process. Raynn1 walked through it and gained and I thought she would give up at times, but thankfully she didn't and now she is losing.

You can do this :-)

Thank you so much Lucia and in general thank you for this whole "movement" that you've started with this group. You and Kiki are so inspiring. It's really exciting b/c I love my food and I was losing but I was sad many a time thinking of how much I used to be able to eat before. LOL. That sounds so sad. but it's true, so being able to feel good about eating 2500 calories is the coolest thing EVER. It makes me really happy. So happy that I want my hubby to do it too :-) but ur right, i'm sure once the scale starts moving down he'll want to follow. He only started MFP last month after seeing me do well after 1 month so for this counter-intuitive type of eating I'll probably have to give him 2 months. ;-)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Thank you so much Lucia and in general thank you for this whole "movement" that you've started with this group. You and Kiki are so inspiring. It's really exciting b/c I love my food and I was losing but I was sad many a time thinking of how much I used to be able to eat before. LOL. That sounds so sad. but it's true, so being able to feel good about eating 2500 calories is the coolest thing EVER. It makes me really happy. So happy that I want my hubby to do it too :-) but ur right, i'm sure once the scale starts moving down he'll want to follow. He only started MFP last month after seeing me do well after 1 month so for this counter-intuitive type of eating I'll probably have to give him 2 months. ;-)

I'm BEYOND excited for you :D You're an awesome person and really should be fed and allowed to grow and get stronger. I was eating 2500 too, it's wonderful!! I recently had to back down for a week because my activity level plummeted (like slept all day- literally- with fever). I will be back up to 2500 cals with you in a few weeks :D

Yay fuel!!!