New to this journey!

Options
CrazyMidget611
CrazyMidget611 Posts: 102 Member
Hey all!

I'm new to MFP (been here 3 weeks) and was set at the typical 1200 cal goal. I just upped it today to 1480, but I'm so scared! All my life I've heard how you have to eat less and exercise more to lose weight. Logically, I know I need to fuel my body to get it to do what I want. But, I am also terrified of weight gain.

Years ago I had "success" of weight watchers. I lost a lot of weight by restricting what I ate. I didn't even work out. Glorious, right?

Uh, wrong. I was lighter in pounds, but I was jiggly and weak. And I gained the weight back, because I was only concerned about the number on the scale. Not sexy.

This time around, I obviously want to see the number on the scale go down, but I'd like to build some muscle and lower my body fat %. Basically, I want to be HEALTHY and FIT, not just LIGHT.

I'm considering not weighing in for one month. I took my measurements and weighed myself Saturday. So, I'm thinking about giving my body four weeks on the higher cals without looking at my numbers to give it a shot of getting my metabolism back on track. I'm just afraid if I weigh myself this weekend and see a two pound gain (I know it's normal) that I will freak and immediately restrict myself back to 1200 cals. I figure, after a month I'll see if my measurements have changed.

Thoughts?

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are willing to give up the scale for the month, then why not considering jumping all the way in and doing TDEE - 15% daily and make sure to NET your BMR on high burn days. The 4wk mark almost all the women that give feedback, they have lost inches for sure.

Are you going to lift weights as well? If you don't want to be jiggly, that is the way to go.
  • CrazyMidget611
    Options
    I would love to get into lifting weights, but have been told in the past not to start until I lose some weight, otherwise it is just building muscle UNDER fat, making myself bigger. I'm new to the fitness aspect of weight loss, so I have no idea if that is true or not. I fairly overweight, I gained a lot when I was pregnant with my daughter. Should I try to slim down first, or go straight to weights?

Thanks!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh my, more muscle burns fat...more muscles burns more calories throughout the day...more muscle takes up less space...

I have heard that theory as well, BUT, I would say LIFT LIFT LIFT and go heavy. Get the book New Rules of Lifting Weights for women. You lose inches (of fat) when you lift weight...I call it the muscle for fat exchange. You look smaller, though you may not have lost a pound, when you lift.

Lift 3 times a week, do cardio HIIT training twice a week (that helps burn more fat too) and hun by the time you are somewhat close to your goal you will have a gorgeously sculpted body.
  • IrishPiratess
    Options
    Im going to second getting yourself a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women.
    Its AMAZING and you'll get the results you're searching for!!

Good stuff!
  • CrazyMidget611
    Options
    Sweet!

Thank God for my Nook, just bought the book - no waiting! I want to get started!
  • IrishPiratess
    Options
    Rock on!!! No pink barbie weights! Get tough with it!