Too much protein... is bad?

Options
k0nfyo0zed
k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
My brother in law, who pretty much focuses his life around fitness because he's trying to be a SEAL, told me that protein shakes can cause dehydration and other nasty effects, so take it easy on the protein.

In response to that I, in my super-resourcefulness went to google for the 'side effects' of too much protein. I found this article:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5108540_do-protein-shakes-side-effects.html

And I'm not entirely sure if it's a fear-monger type thing, one of those 11 o'clock news stories like "Could the stuff in your carpets kill your kids?! Tune in tonight at 11"... or if it's a legit thing. I'm starting to question my 200g protein days :o

Replies

• 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    your body does secrete more water at higher protein levels, which is why low-carb diets always seem to "work"

and "too" much protein can be taxing to your kidneys, as well

but.....as you stated, it's one of those can't win type scenarios, kinda like how too much water can kill a person as well. It takes a LOT of protein to cause serious side effects & the amount of protein that most people need is relative to their own body weight. So while 200g may be too much for me (I'm 5'2, 125 lbs), that does not mean that it's too much for a person who is 175 lbs.

So you just want to make sure to make sure that you include enough water in your diet, so that your body is fully nourished w/water at all times. If you want to play it safe, stay around .8-1g of protein per lb of body weight.

So if you're anywhere near 200lbs or so, I wouldn't question it at all, in fact I'd question if you dropped lower ;)

All that being said.....I, personally despise protein powders and try to include them only when I know that I'm not going to hit my protein goals, lol......

~Kiki
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm closer to 300 pounds than 200 pounds (271 at last weigh in)... and if I don't have my protein shake in the morning (2 scoops protein powder, with 2 tbsp instant coffee, 2c skim milk, 1tbsp splenda, and 1tsp cinnamon) I have issues with getting the rest of my calories or enough protein during the day. It's hard for me to eat in the morning still, and the shake is easy to get down over a few hours. I drink it as breakfast, and have a smallish breakfast type thing as a mid morning snack (after which I take my 'with food' meds), and finish up the coffee protein drink around lunch time. While drinking a liter of water in the process.

It was just weird to me because they were all MORE THAN 40g PER MEAL IS BAD! and I was thinking, er, 2 servings of boneless skinless chicken breast is 50g of protein.... and I don't see them screaming not to eat chicken or fish which are pretty protein dense.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    yes. It's really hard to put a cap on protein when everyone is different, you know. It's another one of those one-size-fit-all philosophies that just don't ring true. The main focus on many of the findings are often on "artificial" sources of proteins, which studies have shown that the body can only handle so much at a time. I find this to be true w/myself. If I have a full scoop of (24g) protein powder, my body is all outta whack, but if I only have 3/4 cup or use a protein powder 18g or below, I find I have no problem w/it. But, like I said, I'm a smaller person. When I was bigger, I don't remember having a problem w/larger scoops, and DH doesn't have any issues at all w/30-40g powders. And by that same token, I can *add* other sources of protein (milk, PB, etc) to that same shake and not have a problem w/higher *amounts* of the protein, just the powder.

It's just so relative, that I always say, use your supplements as they're meant to be used...to "supplement" what you already eat. Try to get the majority of your protein (and other nutrients) from real foods whenever possible. You shouldn't live off of protein powders, but, they are very convenient and can be beneficial in helping reach your protein goals, especially right after working out for fast digesting protein, and for when we are at higher weights, and reaching those super high protein macros are near impossible.