Which body fat calculator is most accurate?

Options
ShannaSwitzer
ShannaSwitzer Posts: 15 Member
I've gotten numbers from 27% to 41%, using the different calculators on fat2fit. Annoying! Which do you use?

Replies

• k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't like using the calculators online for body fat percentage, just because they seem off. I'm 270 pounds, and fairly certain my BF% is up near 50, and the thing told me I was at 32%?? I wasn't buying it.

If you use the same one though, the trend should show your progress, even if the numbers are off.

I purchased a hand held device off of amazon for $30 that you use 3 hours after your first meal to calculate body fat percentage based on hydration of your cells and such.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C-Loss-Monitor-Black/dp/B000FYZMYK/ref=pd_sim_sg_1
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    yep, it's hard to be accurate w/online calculators. I'd either go and have it tested by a professional somewhere, or if you want to purchase calipers to try out your hand at your own testing, you can. Just be sure to measure multiple times in multiple places, and then take an average of all the numbers..
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    If you want to see if you're improving, just pick one and stick with it. If you want to compare yourself to others to see what's average, you're out of luck.

-I've used several scales and they're so out to lunch and vary from each other, even if it's the same scale.
    -I've used the hand scales...and I know there was a depressed ripped girl because it use to show inaccurate results...it got to the point that so many fit people were getting upset that they removed it from the gym and refused to bring it back.
    -The calibers....How do you know you're doing it right each time? And then there''s the fact a woman will fluctuate significantly. You don't really know if you're improving for sure until you've had months and months of readings testing the same way at the same point in the day after the same amount of food in the same period in your cycle.

....hehe....period in your cycle *giggles* that wasn't even intended...

Plus if you're looking at other peoples values or studies it's rare that you know the way that they measured their body fat. I gave up. Give me a shout if you figure out a way to do it accurately :P