Cooking/baking with almond and coconut flour

idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
I'd like to make some healthy things for my family, especially breakfasts on the weekends or things to snack on during the week. I just got my hands on almond flour and coconut flour. I have made a couple of things with almond flour already with great results but I have yet to make anything with coconut flour. Do you guys have any recipes to share with me? it can be either almond or coconut flour or a combo of both! Thanks!

Replies

• lys617
    lys617 Posts: 51 Member
  • idauria
    Those sound great, thanks!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Have you googled recipes? Doing a search using coconut flour and/or paleo when looking for recipes should produce useful results. There's a number of good cookbooks also.
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    I like Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint cookbook as well as Paleo Comfort Foods.

I'm fond of almond flour pancakes, which work just like wheat flour pancakes. The recipe in Primal Blueprint is for coconut flour variety, but those seem to taste too coconutty to me and are more difficult to work with.

I also make egg "muffins" on a regular basis. Great for breakfast on the go!
  • idauria
    I have googled this and have bookmarked several websites. I was looking to get tried and true recipes. All recommendations are greatly appreciated!
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    My Almond Flour cookie recipe works! It only takes about 5 minutes to prep and 10 to bake. I adapted a recipe I found and made it very low sugar when compared to regular cookies. Message me if you'd like the recipe
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    I have googled this and have bookmarked several websites. I was looking to get tried and true recipes. All recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Haven't been doing a lot of baking since eating paleo although have made pancakes with coconut flour for my granddaughter and carrot muffins for a birthday. Came across this which may be helpful http://www.primalpaleorecipes.com/#sites

These were yummy and based on this:
    http://www.wellfedhomestead.com/coconut-flour-carrot-muffins-gaps-legal ... although I made substitutions indicated

Carrot Muffins
    Ingredients:
    6 eggs
    1/2 c coconut oil, melted
    1/2 c honey
    2 TB vanilla ---used 2 teaspoons vanilla
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp cinnamon ---used 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp each nutmeg and cloves
    1/2 c coconut flour
    2 c carrots, shredded ---used 1 cup finely shredded carrots, 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
    1/2 c raisins or dried cranberries, optional ---substituted chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with liners, or grease with coconut oil. Combine the eggs, coconut oil, honey and vanilla in a large bowl or in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix well. In another bowl, mix the salt, baking soda and spices. Sprinkle the coconut flour over the mixture and crush flour lumps, stir then whisk into the batter bowl. Mix well so that there aren’t any clumps. Fold in the shredded carrots and other ingredients. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
    ============

Whn you're cooking with coconut flour, if you find it's thin don't add more; let it sit for a few minutes and it will thicken. Coconut flour is very absorbent; store it tightly wrapped--I keep mine in the freezer. Bruce Fife's book is good but he uses sugar in his recipes; he does explain the properties of coconut flour that make it different for baking.
    ============

I've never used almond or other ground nut flours.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    I have a pinterest board full of stuff :)

http://pinterest.com/cameragirl/paleo/
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Today I'm making muffins! I bake with almond flour, coconut flour, and flax meal all the time because my honey misses baked goods- and fortunately he always eats most of what I make so it's not a problem for me. Everytime I bake it's a new experiment and I just kinda add stuff until the batter seems right. I switch up my "flour mixes". I really like combinations of the 3 rather than just using any one. Last time I made banana bread I believe my recipe was approximately:
    1 cup almond flour
    1 cup flax meal
    1/2 cup Trader Joe's stevia extract
    4 eggs
    a lot (not sure how much) melted kerrygold butter (coconut oil works too if you're avoiding all dairy)
    a splash of apple cidar vinegar
    some nutmeg and cinnimon
    and 2 browning bananas

I mix all the dry stuff and all the wet stuff seperately and then combined them with the bananas in the mixer.

Very tasty. :)
  • idauria
    I have a pinterest board full of stuff :)

http://pinterest.com/cameragirl/paleo/

Looks awesome, thanks!
  • idauria
    Thank you for the yummy recipes. I don't actually do a lot of baking but I do like to make pancakes or waffles on the weekends. I normally make regular just for my kids since both dh and I are wheat free but maybe I'll start eating them again too!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    I've had a hard time with coconut flour. There's a taste afterward that I don't like.
    Almond flour is okay but would be really, really high in Omega-6s since there would be A LOT of almonds in there.

I tried quinoa flour for the first time - made pancakes. It is a little higher in carbs gluten-free, grain-free and it will only be an ingredient and the fat/protein will lower the blood sugar response.

They were a little dense but not bad. Maybe more egg next time? There might have been too much flour. More banana in it and it would've been a pretty good banana bread, though.

Will try again soon. I like to search online for a recipe that jumps out at me. They are everywhere.

and check out dessertstalker.com for some amazing Paleo-ish recipes (for when you want to treat yourself). I made an Apple Bacon Upside down cake that was delicious.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    I like Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint cookbook as well as Paleo Comfort Foods.

I'm fond of almond flour pancakes, which work just like wheat flour pancakes. The recipe in Primal Blueprint is for coconut flour variety, but those seem to taste too coconutty to me and are more difficult to work with.

I also make egg "muffins" on a regular basis. Great for breakfast on the go!

What are egg muffins!? Do tell!