Still not sure I'm eating enough??

Options
So I understand the concepts, not sure I understand the online calculators or if I am estimating right.......My BMR is 1550 on both sites.

Fitness frog has my TDEE at 2400 with moderate activity level. So I set my MFP goal at 1900. Just made this change last Monday so I understand I may not see a change yet..........and I do eat back my exercise calories.

but I also used the calculator at http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced which estimated my TDEE at just under 3000.

A little more info about my weekly activity -
I do try to stand as much as possible (to the point it makes people nervous and I am always asked if I want to sit down :tongue: - at the bar, bbq's, etc). Because I have a desk job (where I do have freedom of movement) and have a 3hr bus ride weekdays, I try to be active when I can. I also walk one mile on my lunch break at least 3x/week at 15 mins/mile. I do about 20 mins on the elliptical most days of the week at a moderate tension. I take a 3-mile walk on Saturday and Sunday mornings most of which is beach walking.

Mostly doing cardio at this point, I know I need to increase my strength training - but one step at a time!

So my question is.....with this information, what would you set your daily net calorie goal to????

Thanks!

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I love the ease of the health-calc calculator (So easy!) but it does tend to be the highest one I've found. I use it- but shave a hundred or so cals from it. I'm trying to make a window for myself rather than a black white line. Working on it anyway :)

I would go with the 2400 TDEE but- give yourself leeway to go higher if you're hungry or need more fuel.

I wish MFP had a window instead of a line- then it'd be less good/bad pass/fail.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to see what fat2fitradio.com gives you for TDEE at your goal weight. See how it compares to what you've already got, and choose something that fits in with all of them but that is still over your BMR :smile:
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    My suggestion is to see what fat2fitradio.com gives you for TDEE at your goal weight. See how it compares to what you've already got, and choose something that fits in with all of them but that is still over your BMR :smile:

Yes I agree with this, it's so easy to get confused with all the different calculators it used to really stress me out! I picked this one and don't look at any others now!
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options

I wish MFP had a window instead of a line- then it'd be less good/bad pass/fail.

I agree, it would be nice to be able to set a range! So with the calculation of TDEE at my goal weight at fat2fitradio it looks like I should have a range of 1900-2100 per day.

Thanks
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Fitness frog has my TDEE at 2400 with moderate activity level. So I set my MFP goal at 1900. Just made this change last Monday so I understand I may not see a change yet..........
    and I do eat back my exercise calories.

Don't eat back your exercise calories because they are figured in your TDEE unless you burn higher on cardio day then make sure to net your BMR
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Fitness frog has my TDEE at 2400 with moderate activity level. So I set my MFP goal at 1900. Just made this change last Monday so I understand I may not see a change yet..........

Don't eat back your exercise calories because they are figured in your TDEE unless you burn higher on cardio day then make sure to net your BMR

^^ What she said^^
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

^^ What she said^^

yep....don't eat back exercise calories in this case!
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options

^^ What she said^^

Ok - Now I AM totally confused.....let me try this one more time. My TDEE is 2400. So I have my net calorie goal set at 1900. So I try to make sure I net 1900 every day with or without exercise. So what your saying is if I exercise and burn 250 calories, then my net for the day would be 1650 (which is over my BMR of 1555). But If I burned 600 calories then I should make sure to net at least 1555 for the day?? Does this sound right?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

^^ What she said^^

Ok - Now I AM totally confused.....let me try this one more time. My TDEE is 2400. So I have my net calorie goal set at 1900. So I try to make sure I net 1900 every day with or without exercise. So what your saying is if I exercise and burn 250 calories, then my net for the day would be 1650 (which is over my BMR of 1555). But If I burned 600 calories then I should make sure to net at least 1555 for the day?? Does this sound right?

Hey there,

Ok, you actual 15% cut value is 2040, but if you want to start at 1900 that is ok. To make it simple, you have your cut value that you eat daily and then on workout days, we say make sure to NET your BMR. So for you, the moment you burn over 345 cals then you need to start eating back. So burn 600 then you need to eat an addition 255 plus your 1900. Now, since you are still not at cut, when you plateau at 1900 then bump up to your cut of 2040 don't go lower in cals...ok?

Keep us posted!
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    Thanks - I am trying to keep in the range of 1900 - 2040 and I understand that the more muscle I built I will need increase my calories and that I am working towards eating at my maintenance calories when I reach my goal wt.

Also, found some good arm exercises to do with 5-lb weights so I am starting strength training this weekend!

Keep up the good work everyone......and remember weight loss is a journey not a destination!